Ed Milliband..... I do believe he's got it.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I know, and you're right. But it SHOULD matter otherwise what is the point of party politics?

Ah well.

When you get elected you simply say 'I was going to do what I said, but the mess left by the previous (insert name of party) government means that Im now going to do what I wanted to do, but didnt want to put in my speeches and manifesto, because if I did no one would have voted for me'.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I don’t think I have ever hated a labour Politician as much as Ed Milibland. He reminds me of the nob head Student Politicians all my years ago in Uni. Even after what seems like an eternity in opposition he has developed as much gravitas as Rik in the Young Ones.

I was listening to Ed Balls the other day and thought he would make a better labour leader. That’s how bad little Ed is. Still, that’s what happens when the unions get involved – You get a dud in charge.

Rik in the young ones!

Now youre talking!

The peoples poet for P.M!

'8 weeks of nothing to do and the suns shining alweady!'

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Last time they couldnt beat a Labour party that featured Brown AND Balls.

Yet you are hopeful that after 5 years of 'government' they will beat a Labour Party with just Balls?

I admire your optimism.

I would argue that as shadow Chancellor, Balls is now prominent and his ineptitude is more obvious, so yes, as long as people do not have very short memories, I am hopeful.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can't be bothered to look so would you mind posting up the link to some of the senior Tory party members schemes just for reference ? ta.

You are extolling the virtues of Ed Miliband, you are also trying to sell a clampdown on tax avoidance as a way of funding his plans, I simply posted a link highlighting that the said politician indulged in the self same tax avoidance that you think he should clamp down on , at no point did I attempt to paint the Tories as innocent of this behaviour, I merely pointed out the hypocrisy of many Labour politicians , whether it be with parliamentary expenses fiddles , or sending their children to private or selective schools.

D

Deleted member 22389

You are extolling the virtues of Ed Miliband, you are also trying to sell a clampdown on tax avoidance as a way of funding his plans, I simply posted a link highlighting that the said politician indulged in the self same tax avoidance that you think he should clamp down on , at no point did I attempt to paint the Tories as innocent of this behaviour, I merely pointed out the hypocrisy of many Labour politicians , whether it be with parliamentary expenses fiddles , or sending their children to private or selective schools.

It's about time politics changed, where the general public make the decisions on what happens to this country, not a bunch of politicians who are completely out of touch, because honestly the way it stands we could do a far better job at the moment.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
i cant take these people seriously no matter what colour they wear. They all went to same college, sat in the same classes and all compared willy sizes at lunch time. Whilst most of us were smoking behind the bike sheds they were playing touchy toes and reinacting scenes from The Deliverance.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Calm down dear !..... you are like a Labrador with a tennis ball when you get going. Back in the mists of this binfest I suggested that maybe a government should try to stop the money going out of the country, I meant corporate money/tax, the money the big companies manage to sneak out rather than personal tax, but hey, my fault for not going in to full detail. I'm not a politician so its fair to say i'm not actually trying to " Sell a clampdown on tax avoidance ".
As for Ed Millibands virtues, i'm limiting that to his understanding of the quandry we are in as country based on the speech he just made. There is probably nothing he can do even if he gets in, but hey, that was a positive speech.
Maybe the recession hasn't hit Haywards Heath yet and that you are still in well paid employment but if it did, and you were not, what would you suggest is/could be done to make things better ?

I await with interest.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only way we can fix the nation's problems is to start making things that people want, thereby generating wealth. We can argue about how to fairly tax people later. But no party has ever seen fit to address this basic problem, choosing to hide behind the "they can make it cheaper in China option", which ignores the fact that Germany and the Netherlands seem to manage it.

I for one am sick and tired of the main party leaders trading insults and feeble sound bites and clearly not tackling the cause of the problem. I'm not sure how it can be done to be honest, but I sure don't trust Ed Milliband to do it, just as I don't trust a government that sees fit to cut everything to the bone and screw the consequences.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yep - That's the key theme and he's right, much as he wants to move on from New Labour, we can't (much as I wish we could) go back to old Labour. Principled but unelectable, those times have gone.....

Which good old labour times do you mean ? Just like to know who you're talking about :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I mean getting the banks to start lending at reasonable rates and trying to stop the money draining out of the country in tax avoidance.
If it was so easy, why didn't Labour address these issues when in power? The banks weren't lending then, and people were avoiding tax then, it hasn't got worse.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If it was so easy, why didn't Labour address these issues when in power? The banks weren't lending then, and people were avoiding tax then, it hasn't got worse.
Exacty. The bits of his speech I heard were all spin and bullshit.

I also agree that he has absolutely f***-all gravitas. He is a terrible leader. At least piggy eyed Cameron looks like a Tory who looks after his own sort, and that scruffy schoolboy who is his assistant will be wiped off the map next election so he is an irrelevance.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Calm down dear !..... you are like a Labrador with a tennis ball when you get going. Back in the mists of this binfest I suggested that maybe a government should try to stop the money going out of the country, I meant corporate money/tax, the money the big companies manage to sneak out rather than personal tax, but hey, my fault for not going in to full detail. I'm not a politician so its fair to say i'm not actually trying to " Sell a clampdown on tax avoidance ".
As for Ed Millibands virtues, i'm limiting that to his understanding of the quandry we are in as country based on the speech he just made. There is probably nothing he can do even if he gets in, but hey, that was a positive speech.
Maybe the recession hasn't hit Haywards Heath yet and that you are still in well paid employment but if it did, and you were not, what would you suggest is/could be done to make things better ?

I await with interest.
I'm very calm, there would have been a lot of exclamation marks had that been a rant, it was merely a post pointing out the faults in your stance, I am in paid employment, and aren't struggling at the moment , I can tell you what I WOULDN'T have done though, and thats open our employment market to the hundreds of thousands of eastern europeans that flooded over here, and as for what I WOULD do ? pleas see my post where I've pointed out that there is no money, we have to start manufacturing things that people want, at prices they are willing to pay .

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
No No No. Thankfully I'll be old enough at the next election to vote against this terrible leader and more importantly, their ridiculous policies and how they would do better than the conservatives by spending their way out of debt. Was it not they who got us into this mess (partly) in the first place? Sure the conservatives are failing in some areas but if you want the country to not default on its debts, they are the best option at this point. David should have been the Milliband to take the helm, the unions made a mistake.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Ok lets talk about principles and not past failures then. I think this little story sums it up nicely. (And no, it isn't actually me in the story, and I have never voted Tory fwiw)

Recently, whilst I was working in the flower beds in the front garden, my neighbours stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their 12 year old daughter what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be Prime Minister one day. Both of her parents – Labour Party voters - were standing there, so I asked her: "If you were Prime Minister what would be the 1st thing you would do?"
She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people."
Her parents beamed with pride!
"Wow, what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're Prime Minister to do that!" I told her.
"What do you mean?" she replied.
So I told her: "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, trim my hedge and I'll pay you £50. Then you can go down to the Town Centre, find a homeless man and can give him the £50 to buy food." She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless man come over and do the work and you can just pay him the £50?"
I said, "Welcome to the Conservative Party.

Ah, a simple story for simple folk.

If only the world was black and white.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah, a simple story for simple folk.

If only the world was black and white.
It is an absurd story as it suggests the Tories are the only ones interested in self empowerment and the Labour party are only interested in helping the victim. How come, historically, the unemployment rate has always risen under the Conservatives then?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Last time they couldnt beat a Labour party that featured Brown AND Balls.

Yet you are hopeful that after 5 years of 'government' they will beat a Labour Party with just Balls?

I admire your optimism.

In all fairness, Thatcher was more unpopular at this point of her tenure than all of Blair, Brown, Call me Dave, Balls and Clegg put together so I wouldn't read to much into it.

Camicus

In all fairness, Thatcher was more unpopular at this point of her tenure than all of Blair, Brown, Call me Dave, Balls and Clegg put together so I wouldn't read to much into it.

Dont knock Maggie she was the saviour of the country the best leader this country has ever had.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dont knock Maggie she was the saviour of the country the best leader this country has ever had.

Yes, she was like Churchill, but with balls

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports