Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Milliband..... I do believe he's got it.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Ed Balls should ensure re-election for the Tories on his own. Fingers crossed they don't bin the amoeba before the next election.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Ok lets talk about principles and not past failures then. I think this little story sums it up nicely. (And no, it isn't actually me in the story, and I have never voted Tory fwiw)

Recently, whilst I was working in the flower beds in the front garden, my neighbours stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their 12 year old daughter what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be Prime Minister one day. Both of her parents – Labour Party voters - were standing there, so I asked her: "If you were Prime Minister what would be the 1st thing you would do?"
She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people."
Her parents beamed with pride!
"Wow, what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're Prime Minister to do that!" I told her.
"What do you mean?" she replied.
So I told her: "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, trim my hedge and I'll pay you £50. Then you can go down to the Town Centre, find a homeless man and can give him the £50 to buy food." She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless man come over and do the work and you can just pay him the £50?"
I said, "Welcome to the Conservative Party.

Thank you for this over-simplification of British politics.

It has effectively demonstrated to me, how overly simple your brain is.

Bravo.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Re-election for the Tories?!

They didnt win last time!

Quite true but if Balls stays the Tories will probably increase their share to a majority. :)

Thank you for this over-simplification of British politics.

It has effectively demonstrated to me, how overly simple your brain is.

Bravo.

Sorry, I didn't have time for a five volume overview of the political system as I am at work but given the forum, and the arguments used here I thought it apt and mildly amusing. Apologies if this offended you to the point of personal abuse against me. I look forward to your positive contributions to this discussion, they will no doubt be enlightening (assuming that my "simple brain" can grasp their full meaning).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So you don't disagree with the point it makes then, merely the hypothetical number used.

Life is too short to dismember the socio-political issues contained in your story, I merely suggested in my OP that Ed Milliband has understood the nation's problems.

I'm not going to bother arguing or point scoring as it is quite pointless. However It would be quite interesting if some of the posters here, instead of trying to pick holes in other's posts, could actually accept that we are in big trouble and suggest some ideas to create jobs or get the economy moving. Sadly its easier to fight like rats in a barrel or to try to belittle each other or deny there is a problem.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Quite true but if Balls stays the Tories will probably increase their share to a majority. :)

Last time they couldnt beat a Labour party that featured Brown AND Balls.

Yet you are hopeful that after 5 years of 'government' they will beat a Labour Party with just Balls?

I admire your optimism.

Life is too short to dismember the socio-political issues contained in your story, I merely suggested in my OP that Ed Milliband has understood the nation's problems.

I would argue that if he doesn't know how to pay for his vision then he HASN'T understood the nation's problems. But we've done this to death I agree.

D

Deleted member 22389

Since Brown was allowed to run amok..........this country is totally f***ed for at least a generation. We have no money or assets. The only way out is to make ourselves more competitive, ie work harder and longer for less money. This process has begun. Our standard of living has been driven back to 2003 levels already and this will continue down until our goods become cheaper than competitors.

All the moaning in the world about wages, pensions, benefits will not create one new job or one pound note. The only new money is that which is being printed by the BoE to stop the banks closing.

The sooner the main population pick up on this the better and we can all just get on with the work needed.

Tony Blair is certainly not feeling the pinch. That's right, this is the Labour man who now earns millions of pounds a year through speeches and consultancy fees from American banks.

Blair and Brown have left me feeling ripped off.

Your right people need to start waking up and learn that nothing will change under a Labour government.

Ed Milliband can talk about getting tough against these banks, it's never going to happen. Some of us understand the game.

Who does Tony Blair think he is? - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I would argue that if he doesn't know how to pay for his vision then he HASN'T understood the nation's problems. But we've done this to death I agree.

But like I say; its party conference season and its the opposition you can say what you like and it doesnt matter.

Apparently some people have previously gone mad and said things like; 'we wont charge students for going to University', and even put it in a manifesto! They didnt have to say how they were going to pay for it.

But like I say; its party conference season and its the opposition you can say what you like and it doesnt matter.

I know, and you're right. But it SHOULD matter otherwise what is the point of party politics?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don’t think I have ever hated a labour Politician as much as Ed Milibland. He reminds me of the nob head Student Politicians all my years ago in Uni. Even after what seems like an eternity in opposition he has developed as much gravitas as Rik in the Young Ones.

I was listening to Ed Balls the other day and thought he would make a better labour leader. That’s how bad little Ed is. Still, that’s what happens when the unions get involved – You get a dud in charge.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don’t think I have ever hated a labour Politician as much as Ed Milibland. He reminds me of the nob head Student Politicians all my years ago in Uni. Even after what seems like an eternity in opposition he has developed as much gravitas as Rik in the Young Ones.

I was listening to Ed Balls the other day and thought he would make a better labour leader. That’s how bad little Ed is. Still, that’s what happens when the unions get involved – You get a dud in charge.

Agree. Much preferred his bother David who he successfully back stabbed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here