Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dwight Gayle

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Hold up ... are we honestly saying we believe that our current wage structure includes:

COG - £15k a week
Colunga - £15k a week
Dunk - £6k a week.

No way, that would be ludicrous. And, rather than lose Dunk to a club offering to triple his wages, why would we not look to dump COG and Colunga, then triple Dunks wages ourselves. Result would be:

COG - £nil
Colunga - £nil
Dunk - £18k a week.

Nope, sorry but I can see that those wages can possibly be correct, and if they are this club is in a f&*king mess! If that's true, then no wonder Dunk is a bit pished off with us.

How long have COG and Colunga got on their contracts? We can't just dump them off without paying them up the rest of their deals.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Do you understand how footballers' contracts work? They have a fixed term, and the club is obliged to pay the wages for the lot of it. So if we release COG and Colunga, we have to pay them for the rest of their contracts. Bad recruitment haunts a team financially for quite a few seasons.

LOL, yes I do thank you! I won't embarrass you by telling you my profession, but rest assure I know about employment contracts and finances.

In the case of COG and Colunga, we have been very close to moving them on already, and while I'm not saying it's easy, I do feel that should be what we are trying to do as that would enable us to pay Dunk what he should be on.

Although to the likes of you and I, the money all sounds ludicrous, if Dunk has played his socks off as one of our best players last season, while watching COG, Colunga, and of course Agustein do precious little for that much more money then he's rightly hacked off. Surely we should be doing all we can to move those salaries on so that we can pay Dunk a salary like that and KEEP HIM.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
He has no intention of moving away from the South.

Turned down Bristol for that reason.

I'd suggest he'd go as far as Norwich, and they really need a striker.

If you play 2 up front, he'll score you 25. Play 1 up front and you gets disinterested, lazy player who can't hold the ball up.

Great finisher, who is unlucky to be born into the era of 3 centre mids and 1 big striker.

I really can't see us signing him, but it would be really funny if he did sign and his goals were was instrumental in getting us promoted at the same time as Wickham fails miserably.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One single, unsourced, tweet. Then salivating idiots go to their keyboard in desperate belief that it may be true. And....Oh,

I'm a salivating idiot..

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
You?

Why would you be looking at his Wiki page?

Because a Leeds fan on another forum mentioned that Gayle was joining us, so I googled Dwight Gayle Brighton and his wiki page was the first link that came up :)

I wouldn't mind him joining but personally I can't see us paying £6m or whatever for one player.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I really can't see us signing him, but it would be really funny if he did sign and his goals were was instrumental in getting us promoted at the same time as Wickham fails miserably.

Fairy tales don't happen like that . This is a non starter as we are after a young centre back at reading Michael hector . He is better value than dunk and dare I say better . I would be amazed if we let you have a goalscorer like dwight .

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How long have COG and Colunga got on their contracts? We can't just dump them off without paying them up the rest of their deals.

Maybe "dump" was a poor choice of words, as I didn't mean release them, and cancel their contracts. Sell them cheap, free if necessary, just move them on. Sheff Utd were sniffing around getting COG back, and Colunga has been on loan back to Spain. I'm just saying we should not be holding out for fees on them if they are on that sort of money, just take whatever deal we need to move them so that they are off our wage bill. That then gives us the ability to offer Dunk a better deal.

IF, of course, these salary numbers are to be believed, and I have to say, I do still find them rather excessive. And if that salary is NOT excessive for players of their ilk, then the money we are paying Dunk is considerably below market rate.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
If we signed Gayle we'd have a striker who would very likely score 20 goals in this league. He is just what we need... Real pace with a trick or two and good finisher. Sign him up.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Fairy tales don't happen like that . This is a non starter as we are after a young centre back at reading Michael hector . He is better value than dunk and dare I say better . I would be amazed if we let you have a goalscorer like dwight .

A swap deal should do it ;-)

We know Pardew is an admirer of Dunk from his Newcastle days after all...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Maybe "dump" was a poor choice of words, as I didn't mean release them, and cancel their contracts. Sell them cheap, free if necessary, just move them on. Sheff Utd were sniffing around getting COG back, and Colunga has been on loan back to Spain. I'm just saying we should not be holding out for fees on them if they are on that sort of money, just take whatever deal we need to move them so that they are off our wage bill. That then gives us the ability to offer Dunk a better deal.

IF, of course, these salary numbers are to be believed, and I have to say, I do still find them rather excessive. And if that salary is NOT excessive for players of their ilk, then the money we are paying Dunk is considerably below market rate.

Yeah my mistake, I interpreted the 'dump' bit as just releasing them before their deals are up.

I still think COG has a place and use in the squad as it is, before any more possible striker additions. But if the wage figure quoted is true, then we could definitely get a better player for that amount.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford

Michael Hector better than Lewis Dunk? Christ....i guess you really don't understand football 🙈

Dunk is twice the player Hector is, no question

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
:facepalm: Is this still going on? There's no chance, it's clearly a palace troll rumour.. The guy who tweeted it who has loads of followers tweets quite a bit of nonsense too.

Things against us signing him:

Wages
Price tag 6m>
Hull & other clubs interested who will pay more
Palace unlikely to sell to us

Things in favour:

We have a beach & some seagulls

:rolleyes:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
:facepalm: Is this still going on? There's no chance, it's clearly a palace troll rumour.. The guy who tweeted it who has loads of followers tweets quite a bit of nonsense too.

Things against us signing him:

Wages
Price tag 6m>
Hull & other clubs interested who will pay more
Palace unlikely to sell to us

Things in favour:

We have a beach & some seagulls

:rolleyes:

Spot on... I can dream though until he inevitably signs for a prem side or a champioship side with parachute money.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Michael Hector better than Lewis Dunk? Christ....i guess you really don't understand football ��

Dunk is twice the player Hector is, no question

You are failing to take in the traditional adjustments depending on whether they are coming or going.

Ex-players, and indeed players who suggest they may leave are immediately downgraded. See Bridcutt, Barnes, Buckley, Hammond and so many others
New players and potential signings are immediately upgraded. Having barely seen them play we have missed all their failings, and only see the good. See Toko, Colunga and so many others.
If Michael Hector has a fancy foreign name as well, then he'd be nudging "potential all-time legend" status.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Gayle,Dunk, straight swap are we up for that?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
You are failing to take in the traditional adjustments depending on whether they are coming or going.

Ex-players, and indeed players who suggest they may leave are immediately downgraded. See Bridcutt, Barnes, Buckley, Hammond and so many others
New players and potential signings are immediately upgraded. Having barely seen them play we have missed all their failings, and only see the good. See Toko, Colunga and so many others.
If Michael Hector has a fancy foreign name as well, then he'd be nudging "potential all-time legend" status.

Except Hector is being linked with Palace, not us. Not only that, he is English...not foreign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here