Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dont like swearing? GET OUT THE NORTH!!!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
By and large I don't have a problem with swearing, I get angry and swear all the time at football but I rarely use the C-word, Brendan Malone was the first person for a long time to be on the receiving end from me. Kids of a certain age shouldn't wrapped in cotton wool, they just need be taught the simple difference between right and wrong, what they hear at games shouldn't be repeated anywhere else as it's just not acceptable. I do think though there needs to be a minimum age for the North, 11 and upwards perhaps. At the Newport match I saw a man with his son, who was probably about 5-7 years old, and the Dad was going mental, every second word seemed to be c*nt. At that age I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see my Dad like that. A line needs to be drawn somewhere. The only thing I hear in the North that gets me genuinely angry is homophobic abuse, it's disgusting the kind of things seemingly reasonable people will say. Thankfully I've never heard racial abuse.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
By and large I don't have a problem with swearing, I get angry and swear all the time at football but I rarely use the C-word, Brendan Malone was the first person for a long time to be on the receiving end from me. Kids of a certain age shouldn't wrapped in cotton wool, they just need be taught the simple difference between right and wrong, what they hear at games shouldn't be repeated anywhere else as it's just not acceptable. I do think though there needs to be a minimum age for the North, 11 and upwards perhaps. At the Newport match I saw a man with his son, who was probably about 5-7 years old, and the Dad was going mental, every second word seemed to be c*nt. At that age I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see my Dad like that. A line needs to be drawn somewhere. The only thing I hear in the North that gets me genuinely angry is homophobic abuse, it's disgusting the kind of things seemingly reasonable people will say. Thankfully I've never heard racial abuse.

I fully endorse each and every point made here.

Mr-N

Mar 31, 2012
I tried to curb my language Saturday in The North as there was a young child directly behind me, sp felt the need to tone it down a bit.

After having her waving flag constantly hitting my head, feet smashing my seat at H/T and the general refereeing being shoddy, that oath of toned down vocabulary was definitely tested.

In certain situations, I don't think you can help swearing ( generally ) but overuse of it fore the sake of it is pointless.

Ozziemate

May 7, 2013
I was sat directly behind the guy who was asked not to say ****. I didn't bring my lad to the Derby match but will do for future games. He is 7, it won't phase me about the language being thrown around in the slightest.
2 points:
1) My lad won't hear any swearing coming from me.
2) He enjoys the singing just as much as the football.
I wouldn't move from the North Stand just because of the swearing. He knows not to swear, so that's good enough for me. If you hide something from a kid, they are more eager to find it!!

It would be interesting to know after reading this thread...... Given the references to a nursery etc, does anybody actually mind the amount of young kids in the North Stand??

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I have to agree. Although I don't agree with swearing in a public place, the North Stand is a prime spot for swearing. The atmosphere and passion surrounding the place somewhat justifies controlled swearing at this end of the ground. People who go there to expect a quiet day are deluded, and should go elsewhere to watch the game.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
I was sat directly behind the guy who was asked not to say ****. I didn't bring my lad to the Derby match but will do for future games. He is 7, it won't phase me about the language being thrown around in the slightest.
2 points:
I wouldn't move from the North Stand just because of the swearing. He knows not to swear, so that's good enough for me. If you hide something from a kid, they are more eager to find it!!

It would be interesting to know after reading this thread...... Given the references to a nursery etc, does anybody actually mind the amount of young kids in the North Stand??

No, I was just kidding but I think people should defiantly understand that a lot of drink flows around and people get rowdy in north stand so they WILL hear stuff they shouldnt, i for sure dont mind as I don't swear much unless I shout OH FOR **** sake because something's gone wrong, I would say that's rare but at the moment it really isn't lol. But when I do shout that I wouldn't expect someone to tell me not to swear as I'd just point them to the family stand

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
2 points:

If they join in with the songs and add to the atmosphere I couldn't care less how old they were.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Everybody is different, I don't use the C word - but don't find it offensive. It's not like racist or homophobic terms which are genuinely offensive, the C word is only as offensive as you want it to be, by definition it is just a word describing the female genitalia in a crude way - but I think people prefer to make it taboo, reserving it as an extreme vulgarity now that F*** has become so casual - I doubt anyone is GENUINELY offended by it, if they give it any thought.

So you wouldn't be offended if someone described you with that expletive?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
2 points:

Finally a kindred spirit. Agree with every point almost mirror copy of what I said earlier. Good stuff

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I call everyone that word. Even when I'm taking confession.

Just been reading Stephen Fry's autobiography, Moab is my washpot, and he uses the C word all the time. As he's National Treasure, it must be ok...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I was told last season that my language was terrible by the guy in front of me I am in WSU block G which is relatively noisy area - cant even remember if I was having an excessive swear up at the time - I never use the C word. It was the first time he had reacted to anything in two years on or off the pitch. Not my finest hour but I told him he was at a fvcking footlball match and if he didn't like it to fvck off to the family stand - he told me to grow up and I said ner ner na ner na.... I think an excellent reposte.... It seems to have worked as I think he has now moved.

In all seriousness swearing is part of football and I am amazed that people seem to be surprized and or shocked by it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was told last season that my language was terrible by the guy in front of me I am in WSU block G which is relatively noisy area - cant even remember if I was having an excessive swear up at the time - I never use the C word. It was the first time he had reacted to anything in two years on or off the pitch. Not my finest hour but I told him he was at a fvcking footlball match and if he didn't like it to fvck off to the family stand - he told me to grow up and I said ner ner na ner na.... I think an excellent reposte.... It seems to have worked as I think he has now moved.

In all seriousness swearing is part of football and I am amazed that people seem to be surprized and or shocked by it.

I am in the same block and I chose it because we wanted a good view but still some atmosphere. I knew a few friends were in the same area and I knew the A21 club were there and that is exactly WHY I chose the seats.

On Saturday my language towards D'Urso was pretty choice. There are a couple of ladies and a teenager near me and I always feel bad but they never ask me to stop. I suspect I'm regarded as the village idiot but I have only ever watched games in the North at the Goldstone, behind the goal at Gillingham, in D block at Withdean and now here. I deliberately pick rowdy sections.

The one time I took my son we were in the East and I was able to control my words no problem because it was so quiet. I am taking him to Burnley but in the West. Think I might need a giant dummy and some everlasting chewing gum - for me.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was at Leeds once in the Albion end with a mate and there was a small kid next to us which we noted pre kick-off and agreed we'd best keep our bad language toned down a bit. Thirty seconds into the game, the linesman flags our striker offside and the kid's Dad is on his feet (even though we had no way of knowing from our position whether the decision was correct or not). "F***ing hell lino, you f***ing c***, stick that up your arse you f***ing w******". This guy was steaming - and so it went on, for ninety minutes, with the little kid even tugging on the bloke's trousers at one point asking him to sit down. Just an embarrassment.

We all lose our rag at football sometimes but the people who get into a lather like that from the off are just making an idiot of themselves.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Swearing is part of football matches. However, sometimes its funny and even necessary but others it becomes a bit farcical.
For example, a well timed shout of W**nk*r when a player misplaces a pass is relatively humorous. But when someone goes off on one at a single player or official using serious language its too much.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
There is no need to put up with foul & abusive language in any section of the Amex, in the first instance contact a steward if it continues then contact the club and request action be taken, it will only take a few suspensions to put matters right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here