Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you make MODELS ?

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
I used to, moved onto stuff that is actually animated now, so radio controlled. Helicopters, cars, boats..... all really good fun but crash a lot so a lot of repair/rebuild work involved which is as much fun as flying/driving them. Love RC stuff, used to build a lot static F1s and artic trucks.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I notice that no WOMEN have contributed any model making efforts to this thread, so allow me to chip in.

My brother used to make Airfix plane models when we were kids, which were then lovingly and artistically suspended from his bedroom ceiling with cotton thread.

I soon learned that these models, while visually impressive, were temptingly fragile, which provided a fruitful source of vengeance on those regular occasions when he pissed me off. The trick was to snap bits off- aerials, wingtips, tail fins etc, or to remove the stick-on transfers, and then to cunningly dispose of the telltale pieces in a location he'd never be smart enough to find. And then when tearful brother spotted the defect, to blame it, conscience-free, on the cat.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I notice that no WOMEN have contributed any model making efforts to this thread, so allow me to chip in.

My brother used to make Airfix plane models when we were kids, which were then lovingly and artistically suspended from his bedroom ceiling with cotton thread.

I soon learned that these models, while visually impressive, were temptingly fragile, which provided a fruitful source of vengeance on those regular occasions when he pissed me off. The trick was to snap bits off- aerials, wingtips, tail fins etc, or to remove the stick-on transfers, and then to cunningly dispose of the telltale pieces in a location he'd never be smart enough to find. And then when tearful brother spotted the defect, to blame it, conscience-free, on the cat.

No wonder you became a copper

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
NSC appears to be indicating it's your birthday, Easy, I trust that you got yourself a few nice models by way of presents, and may I wish you many happy returns.

If I'd known I'd have made you a cake.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I can see an emerging theme here of men in their mid to late forties who used to make airfix models as kids and have started again. I'm another one. I used to make loads of the things and my bedroom ceiling looked like a scene from the Battle of Britain with various planes shooting at each other and some with cotton wool 'smoke' trailing - the Germans obviously.

Then about 4 years ago my brother gave me a Revell kit of a Sopwith Camel for Christmas. It was a right complicated bastard but after what seemed like hundreds of hours at the kitchen table - it even has rigging between the wings made from cotton - it was eventually finished. Probably to a much higher standard than those I made as a kid. Suitably impressed by both the result and the fact that it kept me away from Sky Sports the missus bought me a Fokker D VII for last Christmas, though I haven't found the time for that one yet.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I have interests in a model factory in the Philippines, we produce any type of plane or ship, hand carved and hand painted,
All made from sustained mahogany, so if u want one for yourself or special friend have a butchers here Hand made mahogany models

Any colour scheme is available just provide a photo.

As each model is bespoke it will take approx 2 months to delivery, £20 deposit and balance paid when you approve final photos of the model.

Any sales 10 percent to REMF

Swindon, are they the same as the Bravo Delta models. I've seen them advertised in a couple of mags and they always look impressive. Like the look of the Vulcan!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Something I definitely loved doing as a kid, however I have a sneaking suspiscion that Dad used to finish them while I was sleeping and then claim that I had done more than I remembered from the night before.

We used to set up whole battle scenes by suspending them from the ceiling. I used to love dicking about with this and pitching the mighty VULCAN up against the Heinkels and Dorniers.

As a kid it was always cool to build models of things like Lancasters, English Electric Lightnings and Spitfires which Dad would then take me to see the real thing of. Remember the first time was finishing the Lancaster with insignia P OS on its fuselage only to then be taken to Hendon the next weekend to stand beneath it. IT blew my tiny little mind that these things were real.

When I can actually be bothered to settle down and have my own brat I'll definitely be doing the same.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
NSC appears to be indicating it's your birthday, Easy, I trust that you got yourself a few nice models by way of presents, and may I wish you many happy returns.

Many thanks Edna, and yes I was indeed furnished with a new model to start up - a 2007 Philippe Massa F1 Ferrari (driver not included). Might kick it off this afty while I listen to the commentry.

Your cakes are a work of ART, that would have been a treat.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Presumably one of these?

243168.jpg

Oh, and happy birthday for yesterday, Mr 10

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
IMAG0260.jpg
IMAG0240.jpg

Sad bastard update.

2011 Phillipe Massa Ferrari...done.

If you're even more of a sad act, you'll recognise that its the Kimi Raikkonen wheels not the Massa ones, but I LIKED them better. So there.

[edit]

And you would not BELIEVE what an utter ARSECAKE that front spoiler was to get perfect. Fiddly does not even come close. I came close to chucking the whole thing at the wall at one point.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr has this for his 8th birthday, at the end of the month:-

41JHQeQPI6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'll let you know how he/we get on.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
That. No pilot would be able to fly any of the planes I put together without severe H&S risks due to a clouded canopy. Keep meaning to try and take it up again when there's the money available.

I've now remember that it was an SR71 Blackbird - I 'spose I could have said that the excess glue was leaking JP-7 :shrug:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I used to make many models as a kid but sadly when I was a teenager I blew them all up using bangers which was fun at the time.

This made me smile - i did exactly the samething and melted my action man with a can of WD40 and a box or matches... happy days

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am making an absolute bastard of a kit at the moment. Its an Amati Greek Berime and the planking has be be "bent" almost 45 degrees to make sure it is sited correctly.

This is where I am at:

6131787166_1945de003d.jpg

6131237429_56c1ac2972.jpg

I am yet to have a go at the decoration, but this is going to take me ages

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That is rather impressive Easy10. I am genuinely envious

I can't wait for my son to be a little older and I can get models for him and help him out. He already (only 3 at the moment) appears to be more talented than me when it comes to building towers roads so I am sure he will love them. I would love to start doing them again but always got impatient when it came to the painting so they always ended up looking CRAP

A fair few went the way of being destroyed as well

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am making an absolute bastard of a kit at the moment. Its an Amati Greek Berime and the planking has be be "bent" almost 45 degrees to make sure it is sited correctly.

This is where I am at:

View attachment 36428

That, sir, is a thing of absolute beauty.

Away from the iMac, the ship-thing looks ok too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMAG0260.jpg
IMAG0240.jpg

Sad bastard update.

2011 Phillipe Massa Ferrari...done.

If you're even more of a sad act, you'll recognise that its the Kimi Raikkonen wheels not the Massa ones, but I LIKED them better. So there.

[edit]

And you would not BELIEVE what an utter ARSECAKE that front spoiler was to get perfect. Fiddly does not even come close. I came close to chucking the whole thing at the wall at one point.

I have this in my cupboard to make and finished the Jenson Button McClaren a couple of months ago.....the tail fin on the mclaren took me about three weeks and I rebuilt it twice.

Brilliant efforts there mate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here