Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you make MODELS ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Just coming back from a weekend conference at Lego's HQ in Denmark. So yes.

And it should satisfy Brovion's requirements, as you weren't allowed exhibit sets that Lego had produced themselves, only personal designs.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
One of Easy's wind-ups. Next thing he'll be telling us he's addicted to playing scrabble on his mobile all day long.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never understood people who do this.

I bet you could go and BUY ready made versions of any of these models and they wouldn't be so fragile that they fall apart when you breathe too close to them, because they're made by MACHINES and CHINESE KIDS, who are much better at building models than us. :shrug:

But thats like asking why an artist should bother spend hours painting a scenic picture, when he could just get a camera out and take an instant snapshot. The pleasure is in the building, followed hopefully by the satisfaction in the result (not that I'm saying I'm an ARTIST obviously). Soccer Saturday on the telly, the Albion on the radio, a couple of lagers and an Airfix. Thats quite a pleasant afternoon right there.

Similar to your observation though, one thing I can never quite get my head round is why people do jigsaw puzzles. The principal is the same I suppose, but I can think of nothing more BORING than painstakingly piecing together tiny bits of card to replicate a two-dimensional picture thats on the front of a box. And what can you do with it afterwards ? At least a model can be displayed somewhere. Its not like you'd leave a completed jigsaw out for perusal is it ?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Very impressive Red Arrow, Easy10. I do a bit of model making myself little bits and bobs out of matches.

tn.jpg

I used to make many models as a kid but sadly when I was a teenager I blew them all up using bangers which was fun at the time.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm totally surprised that only one Palace fan has posted in this thread.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Never really got on with the old airfix modelling, even as a kid. All down to my own ineptitude you understand, but I would be so dis-heartened by teh hours spent only for it to never quite look right. I have always been a puzzle man myself, as that WOULD end up lookinge xactly as it should.

Sadly, don't have the time for puzzles these days, but one day, when dribbling and farting my way through my days in an old peoples home, I'll happily while away some hours doing them again.

Why is the front wheel BLU-TACKED to the surface of yourSony 1:5 Surround Sound sub-woofer?

If due to tipping back problems I would have put some BALLAST in the frontal nose cone before permanently glueing it shut.:thumbsup:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Is this like one of the those amazing magazine series where they give you the parts one by one with each issue? The last one I saw would end up costing the buyer around £750 with all the magazines, just to make a ship. Eeek

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why is the front wheel BLU-TACKED to the surface of yourSony 1:5 Surround Sound sub-woofer?

If due to tipping back problems I would have put some BALLAST in the frontal nose cone before permanently glueing it shut.:thumbsup:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. A truly WONDERFUL thing. And if I could turn back the clock, I'd ballast that thing to within an inch of its moulded plastic life.

However, in line with the instructions, the main chassis of the plane had already been steadfastly glued before I embarked on the construction of the undercarriage. And as I don't have a mechanics pit, this crucial phase was carried out with the aircraft in an upside-down position. Only once the wheels had been glued into place and left to dry overnight did I turn it over and put it down, and then saw to my horror that the arse-end outweighed the front, tipping the aircraft up dragster-style.

I cannot even begin to describe my anguish at this cataclysmic turnabout of events.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. A truly WONDERFUL thing. And if I could turn back the clock, I'd ballast that thing to within an inch of its moulded plastic life.

However, in line with the instructions, the main chassis of the plane had already been steadfastly glued before I embarked on the construction of the undercarriage. And as I don't have a mechanics pit, this crucial phase was carried out with the aircraft in an upside-down position. Only once the wheels had been glued into place and left to dry overnight did I turn it over and put it down, and then saw to my horror that the arse-end outweighed the front, tipping the aircraft up dragster-style.

I cannot even begin to describe my anguish at this cataclysmic turnabout of events.

Why don't you have a mechanics pit ? It would appear that you are approaching this whole thing with a half-cocked attitude.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

Attach to the ceiling with wires?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why don't you have a mechanics pit ? It would appear that you are approaching this whole thing with a half-cocked attitude.

Well, it IS the first model I've made for a number of years. I have been somewhat discouraged after the wife "accidentally" dusted my lovingly crafted Tornado off the window sill, breaking the tail and sending two of the missiles skidding under the washing machine (which is a right bastard to shift). I'm not sure I have the commitment to invest in a mechanics pit.

Attach to the ceiling with wires?

I have a bird. It would unnerve him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When my boy was younger I used make aircraft models, paint them and have them hung at all different angles and heights from his bedroom ceiling. I'm not sure he was ever keen on any of it though. I loved it. My favourite was the Grumman Duck.

Well, it IS the first model I've made for a number of years. I have been somewhat discouraged after the wife "accidentally" dusted my lovingly crafted Tornado off the window sill, breaking the tail and sending two of the missiles skidding under the washing machine (which is a right bastard to shift). I'm not sure I have the commitment to invest in a mechanics pit.

I have a bird. It would unnerve him.

You could take up a few of your dining room floorboards , dig a pit and then flip the carpet back over the pit when not in use.

Also is your "lovingly crafted Tornado" a sexual euphemism ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here