Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did anyone actually ask Graham for an apology?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why are so many pundits so obsessed by how we treat managers ?

"Careful what you wish for" when Hughton was sacked.

Now we have opinions on how we reacted to Potter.

It is almost like they can't accept that little old Brighton are doing pretty well. We must bow at the feet of managers and former managers it seems.

It doesn't seem to happen with other teams - they have licence to interact with managers how they like.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
It has punctured his ego and reputation and he knows it.
Yep. Did you see the look on his face throughout the interview. I have never seen him so stressed. I love RDZ attitude, Potters was always "look we played really well and lost, that's football for you". RDZ on the other hand is "yeah look we did play well but we lost and that is just not acceptable." Even to the point of apologising for his tactical mistakes in a 4-1 win against Chelsea. When GP left with all the staff I thought we were screwed, now I think TB has pulled another masterstroke and turned what could have been a disaster into the perfect timing for a new coach to carry us further.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yep. DId you see the look on his face throughout the interview. I have never seen him so stressed. I love RDZ attitude, Potters was always "look we played really well and lost, that's football for you". RDZ on the other hand is "yeah look we did play well but we lost and that is just not acceptable." Even to the point of apologising for his tactical mistakes in a 4-1 win against Chelsea
RDZ said after the game against Tottenham that "the result is not fair!" and "football is not fair!"

I like RDZ and really enjoy his press conferences (and I hope the tabloids won't abuse his desire to actually say things) but comments like the above one works on your honeymoon but if you say the same thing in the middle of a winless streak two years into his tenure, it won't be perceived as great attitude.

dolphin123

May 12, 2009
Nothing long to apologise for ??

Bruno and Ben Roberts ???

Taking a club legend and ruining that then taking a class goalkeeper coach and also ex player who was here for yonks under numerous mangers too and was basically a Brighton fan !!

This is why potter got everything he deserved !! He could of killed us this season but thankfully it’s done the opposite !! We’re Brighton and hove Albion we thrive on adversity and always come back stronger.

We ALWAYS Stand
But never fall

( ok a few relegations here and there )

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Very fair comment. I think the timing is a bit of a shock though. The last manager to make an upwards (as in going to a bigger club) move within the Premier League during a season was Harry Redknapp in 2008 (Pompey to Spurs). It is completely against the norm to make an approach within the same league. Didn't help how sudden it was either.
Pochettino- Saints to Spurs 2014.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yep this.

I have to say, my expectation was that Potter's knowledge of us, his tactical guile and his £billion squad, would deliver a humiliation of BHA.
However, it was our player's understanding of his tactics, a hostile atmosphere and De Zerbi's aggressive style, which totally undid him.

It has punctured his ego and reputation and he knows it.
More importantly he massively underestimated the clubs support, when he was here and even worse for him, now he's gone. .

RDZ may have been prompted, but I'd like to think not. He's endeared himself to us by giving credit to what we can offer. A twelfth man.

Having slept on it a few days I'm still buzzing . . . Like the fire inside for survival in the mid 90's. Thats how strongly I felt, and thankfully still feel.

Although TV kick offs are testing at the best of times.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
RDZ said after the game against Tottenham that "the result is not fair!" and "football is not fair!"

I like RDZ and really enjoy his press conferences (and I hope the tabloids won't abuse his desire to actually say things) but comments like the above one works on your honeymoon but if you say the same thing in the middle of a winless streak two years into his tenure, it won't be perceived as great attitude.
Do you really think that's what he'd say in that circumstance?

Given his first few matches I find that highly unlikely. It's thoroughly refreshing to know that what we'll hear in interview is what the coach thinks and not what was covered in the morning's E.I. PowerPoint presentation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Do you really think that's what he'd say in that circumstance?

Given his first few matches I find that highly unlikely. It's thoroughly refreshing to know that what we'll hear in interview is what the coach thinks and not what was covered in the morning's E.I. PowerPoint presentation.
No idea if he'd say that or not tbh.

Yeah it is refreshing, agree completely. I hope it keeps up - I've seen plenty of foreign coaches walk into the PL like a fresh breeze on a beautiful summer morning just to walk out a year or two later looking 20 years older and incapable of uttering a sentence that isn't dipped in a thick layer of hatred and misanthrophy.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Taking a club legend and ruining that then taking a class goalkeeper coach and also ex player who was here for yonks under numerous mangers too and was basically a Brighton fan !!

This is why potter got everything he deserved !! He could of killed us this season but thankfully it’s done the opposite !! We’re Brighton and hove Albion we thrive on adversity and always come back stronger.

We ALWAYS Stand
But never fall

They weren't forced to go with him!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

We ALWAYS Stand
But never fall

The rage about Bruno & Roberts is based in something quite simple:

Brighton fans felt that Bruno and Roberts belonged to Brighton & Hove Albion FC Ltd
Bruno felt that Bruno belonged to Bruno, and Roberts that Roberts belonged to Roberts

Obviously these two different perceptions was always likely to result in some kind of conflict and bad feelings but in my personal opinion, they're take on it is a bit closer to my human values than the take that Roberts & Bruno were two inventories belonging to Tony Bloom and his company.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I'm sure I read an article by Paul Barber a few years ago where he described how the club had been built as a set of interlinked moving parts and if one needed replacing, e.g. the coach, it could be replaced with minimum impact. Obviously on this occasion Chelsea have completely eviscerated our existing coaching staff, but I like the idea that we just plug in a new coaching group and carry on. I also like the idea that other clubs pile in and try to asset strip us (to the tune of 80m +) and those assets crash and burn when they don't have the warm embrace of BHA around them. Probably a massive dose of wishful thinking but Saturday did give me a slight feeling that that may be the case.

Very disappointed in this general 'what Potter did for us' nonsense. His overall points average was 1.2 per game in the 3 and a bit seasons he was here. The club showed a lot of patience during some of the less successful periods. Its only 8 months ago we went on a 6 game long losing streak following an awful 3-0 home defeat against the team that finished 18th! If he had spent the last 3 and a bit seasons at Watford...well he wouldn't have would he, he'd have been sacked on at least 5 occasions. That said I was glad we stuck by him and gave him the chance to develop with us, but first really consistent set of good results he pisses off.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The rage about Bruno & Roberts is based in something quite simple:

Brighton fans felt that Bruno and Roberts belonged to Brighton & Hove Albion FC Ltd
Bruno felt that Bruno belonged to Bruno, and Roberts that Roberts belonged to Roberts

Obviously these two different perceptions was always likely to result in some kind of conflict and bad feelings but in my personal opinion, they're take on it is a bit closer to my human values than the take that Roberts & Bruno were two inventories belonging to Tony Bloom and his company.
I, and I think most of us, would have had some disappointment had either one moved on individually to another club, but that would have been them forging their careers.
But they left clutching Potters coat tails, and have now attached themselves to him. They left an employer that would have pushed for their inclusion in the new regime, but perhaps could not guarantee it, and maybe ended up coaching U23's, for one that guarantees their involvement as long as Potter is manager and still wants them.
I didn't think they were owned by Brighton, but it seems like they are owned by Potter now, he will decide if they have a job at Chelsea or not, up until he gets sacked, and then maybe they will show some loyalty and walk out at the same time, or wait a couple of weeks and see if the new manager has any interest in them, but I suspect a new manager would be wary that they would f*** off in the middle of the season if Potter got a new job.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
I'm sure I read an article by Paul Barber a few years ago where he described how the club had been built as a set of interlinked moving parts and if one needed replacing, e.g. the coach, it could be replaced with minimum impact. Obviously on this occasion Chelsea have completely eviscerated our existing coaching staff, but I like the idea that we just plug in a new coaching group and carry on. I also like the idea that other clubs pile in and try to asset strip us (to the tune of 80m +) and those assets crash and burn when they don't have the warm embrace of BHA around them. Probably a massive dose of wishful thinking but Saturday did give me a slight feeling that that may be the case.

Very disappointed in this general 'what Potter did for us' nonsense. His overall points average was 1.2 per game in the 3 and a bit seasons he was here. The club showed a lot of patience during some of the less successful periods. Its only 8 months ago we went on a 6 game long losing streak following an awful 3-0 home defeat against the team that finished 18th! If he had spent the last 3 and a bit seasons at Watford...well he wouldn't have would he, he'd have been sacked on at least 5 occasions. That said I was glad we stuck by him and gave him the chance to develop with us, but first really consistent set of good results he pisses off.

Do you know Hughtons ppg as a comparison?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He shouldn’t of even asked !! He should off left with the lot he came with !!
Why? He obviously valued them enough to want to carry on working with them - and give him the best opportunity of getting success with Chelsea!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep. Did you see the look on his face throughout the interview. I have never seen him so stressed. I love RDZ attitude, Potters was always "look we played really well and lost, that's football for you". RDZ on the other hand is "yeah look we did play well but we lost and that is just not acceptable." Even to the point of apologising for his tactical mistakes in a 4-1 win against Chelsea. When GP left with all the staff I thought we were screwed, now I think TB has pulled another masterstroke and turned what could have been a disaster into the perfect timing for a new coach to carry us further.
Genuinely wonder if DeZ was always on Tony’s list, but considered out of our range when at a CL club…….the way he was smiling during his first press conference was quite telling.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Genuinely wonder if DeZ was always on Tony’s list, but considered out of our range when at a CL club…….the way he was smiling during his first press conference was quite telling.
Hard to believe I know but he COULD be an upgrade. Only time will tell, but I confess to being excited as things stand.

The speed that GP left at, again, COULD suggest that TB was very aware and agreeable to GP leaving and already had De Zerbi lined up as his replacement.

Everything seems to have fallen into place very smoothly :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here