Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did anyone actually ask Graham for an apology?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Unsurprisingly the berk that is Andy Jacobs on TalkSport has just ranted that Brighton fans should be showing gratitude for Potter, and our treatment of him is disgraceful.

Another one who has no idea what he’s talking about.
To be fair, I completely understand why people think and comment the way they have done about the booing.

Unless you're a Brighton fan, you wouldn't fully understand and/or appreciate the nuances of the situation (the booing was really aimed at Chelsea as a whole and the way it 'asset stripped' the club'), the timing of the announcement about giving Chelsea permission to talk to another one of the recruitment team, or how much of an impact it had on the club.

Although, I can't quite believe that so many people are shocked that it happened – it's part of football and people have been booed for far less than the actions of Potter and co...

Edit: I quite like AJ, but I've just heard him effectively say one of the reasons for Chelsea's performance was due to injuries. Sorry, but when you look at the starting 11 and who came off the bench, the Kings Road Kelvins should be beating #TeamsLikeBrighton Every. Single. Week.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think he’s in denial about the guilt trip he’s on. Of course he was going to get booed - doesn’t mean that we don’t appreciate what he did for us. Think he might get booed even more next time round!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
To be fair, I completely understand why people think and comment the way they have done about the booing.

Unless you're a Brighton fan, you wouldn't fully understand and/or appreciate the nuances of the situation (the booing was really aimed at Chelsea as a whole and the way it 'asset stripped' the club'), the timing of the announcement about giving Chelsea permission to talk to another one of the recruitment team, or how much of an impact it had on the club.

Although, I can't quite believe that so many people are shocked that it happened – it's part of football and people have been booed for far less than the actions of Potter and co...
Very fair comment. I think the timing is a bit of a shock though. The last manager to make an upwards (as in going to a bigger club) move within the Premier League during a season was Harry Redknapp in 2008 (Pompey to Spurs). It is completely against the norm to make an approach within the same league. Didn't help how sudden it was either.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well, I can agree he isn't really made for the harsh PL environment. Happy that you are though. Modern football is a beauty isn't it.

As for him not very good at it... heh. Pretty sure he is a better coach than you are at anything tbh, I think your main issue is that he's just a normal English guy who had success in life and career and it kind of bothers you. A certain bitterness, you know.
Meh :shrug: I just looked at his wiki earlydoors and his managerial career always screamed mediocrity from every pore. All those years at Östersunds slowly crawling up the Swedish ladder with one almighty assist from a chairman as dodgy as f*ck. Before Östersunds his CV was even more pitiful. The majority of Albion fans were a bit slow to catch on, but the Chelsea fans are much quicker off the mark. Many of them are already openly calling him a fraud. I don't think he's that at all, but like most recent UK PMs he's been promoted to the level of his incompetence. Oh well

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Very fair comment. I think the timing is a bit of a shock though. The last manager to make an upwards (as in going to a bigger club) move within the Premier League during a season was Harry Redknapp in 2008 (Pompey to Spurs). It is completely against the norm to make an approach within the same league. Didn't help how sudden it was either.
From my, failing, memory, I think that was an escape route, rather than an upward move. But ol'Arry did well out of it, as usual.

Interesting point that what works well for players hasn't been observed for managers.

On the way home after the match I channel hopped to Talkshite for a few minutes. Lady Chelsea phoned in, although she kept referring to us as Bry-un, so not a local Knightsbridge madame. She also claimed that we should show more respect to their manager - and the BEnd presenter agreed. They know nothing.

Ironic really, because there's a high probability that she will be booing Potter herself in a year or two, maybe less, when the entitled tw@ts aren't presented with their customary and expected silverware and European trips.

Potter is both a proven manager and an unproven one. True, he's shown that he can take a little club, like Brighton from the depths to the giddy heights of the PL using masterful subliminal and psychological techniques - building a capable team, albeit a possessive and defensive one that often failed to land the killer punch. But can he use those same management techniques to win the PL or be successful against fully-fledged and battle-hardened European managers?

The jury is out. Awaiting the decision with interest.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Meh :shrug: I just looked at his wiki earlydoors and his managerial career always screamed mediocrity from every pore. All those years at Östersunds slowly crawling up the Swedish ladder with one almighty assist from a chairman as dodgy as f*ck. Before Östersunds his CV was even more pitiful. The majority of Albion fans were a bit slow to catch on, but the Chelsea fans are much quicker off the mark. Many of them are already openly calling him a fraud. I don't think he's that at all, but like most recent UK PMs he's been promoted to the level of his incompetence. Oh well
Yeah no surprise you have the same mentality as the average Chelsea fan ;)

Nothing mediocre about the career. Yeah its been widely known for years that you want someone who got sacked over and over again because in your life that is apparently a great CV. Wonder why.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
From my, failing, memory, I think that was an escape route, rather than an upward move. But ol'Arry did well out of it, as usual.

Interesting point that what works well for players hasn't been observed for managers.

On the way home after the match I channel hopped to Talkshite for a few minutes. Lady Chelsea phoned in, although she kept referring to us as Bry-un, so not a local Knightsbridge madame. She also claimed that we should show more respect to their manager - and the BEnd presenter agreed. They know nothing.

Ironic really, because there's a high probability that she will be booing Potter herself in a year or two, maybe less, when the entitled tw@ts aren't presented with their customary and expected silverware and European trips.

Potter is both a proven manager and an unproven one. True, he's shown that he can take a little club, like Brighton from the depths to the giddy heights of the PL using masterful subliminal and psychological techniques - building a capable team, albeit a possessive and defensive one that often failed to land the killer punch. But can he use those same management techniques to win the PL or be successful against fully-fledged and battle-hardened European managers?

The jury is out. Awaiting the decision with interest.
If that's the case (re: 'Arry) then it's probably only Sounness from Blackburn to Newcastle in 2004. That's the only one in the era of the global transfer window I can find.

I was told on Twitter that it is a "fact" that Graham Potter is our greatest ever manager and I should be thankful for him "transforming" the club. People who don't really care decide they know everything without ever doing any research or taking any deeper interest. I'm quite happy to let all the airmchair fans bark away in the background now. De Zerbi won't be asking the Albion fans for a history lesson to whip them up either.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah no surprise you have the same mentality as the average Chelsea fan ;)

Nothing mediocre about the career. Yeah its been widely known for years that you want someone who got sacked over and over again because in your life that is apparently a great CV. Wonder why.
Deary me, has to be asked but what do you actually get out of all this? You might be half my age but you're wasting twice as much of your life on posting all this shit on a foreign messageboard you only first alighted on due to some strange man-crush for a beardy guy you were way too shy to ever meet IRL.

Said it before, say it again: why not take a look outside mum's basement sometime? You've got a local football club probably half a mile down the road or something. Why not throw your clearly superior intellect behind their efforts? Oh hang on, that'll be because they wouldn't provide you with the readership and instant feedback ego stroke you get on here. Wouldn't happen on Chelsea messageboard ;)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Deary me, has to be asked but what do you actually get out of all this? You might be half my age but you're wasting twice as much of your life on posting all this shit on a foreign messageboard you only first alighted on due to some strange man-crush for a beardy guy you were way too shy to ever meet IRL.

Said it before, say it again: why not take a look outside mum's basement sometime? You've got a local football club probably half a mile down the road or something. Why not throw your clearly superior intellect behind their efforts? Oh hang on, that'll be because they wouldn't provide you with the readership and instant feedback ego stroke you get on here. Wouldn't happen on Chelsea messageboard ;)
Its a good question and I've asked you the same thing multiple times with no reply. If you could give me an answer I'd gladly give you one as well.

As I might have said before: I think there is therapy available. I understand that after the clearly visible issues you had with your father, you wanted to never show any weakness because you thought it would affect your chances of getting on terms with him again. Hence why you love kicking at people who are at the bottom: it makes you feel strong and you think you're disguising your misery but anyone who can do basic math has done it by now. But there's help to get these days. Yeah the two divorces - maybe three? - won't be undone and your relatives won't make any more calls, but I think there's some skanky bitch somewhere in the area who'd give you a bit of attention for a fiver or two so you don't have to get these panicky "look-at-me I hate depressed, weak and nice people and don't give a shit about Albion"-outbursts once in a while.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its a good question and I've asked you the same thing multiple times with no reply. If you could give me an answer I'd gladly give you one as well.

As I might have said before: I think there is therapy available. I understand that after the clearly visible issues you had with your father, you wanted to never show any weakness because you thought it would affect your chances of getting on terms with him again. Hence why you love kicking at people who are at the bottom: it makes you feel strong and you think you're disguising your misery but anyone who can do basic math has done it by now. But there's help to get these days. Yeah the two divorces - maybe three? - won't be undone and your relatives won't make any more calls, but I think there's some skanky bitch somewhere in the area who'd give you a bit of attention for a fiver or two so you don't have to get these panicky "look-at-me I hate depressed, weak and nice people and don't give a shit about Albion"-outbursts once in a while.
Wow. Just Wow.

Nurse! The screens! :lolol:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Blimey. Lots of people claiming they'd moved on and then raking through the ashes of every interview for something more to hang Potter with. It's like going through all of your ex's FB posts, bit immature really.
Yeah but if she’s had a glow up maybe one for the bank

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Potter has now shown to Chelsea fans, and those at other clubs, how very flakey he is and how easily he can be hurt by booing! Fans of other clubs have now seen how quickly he unravels and then his team of egos follow suit.

"A rod for his own back" as my dear ol' dad would say. He is going to get booooed into oblivion and I for one shall be mightily entertained by it.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Him saying he has nothing to apologise for is just a turn of phrase.

Really is time to drop it and grow up a little.

He had every right to leave for a top job. The fans at the AMEX had every right to have a jolly good boo. And we all enjoyed a thumping win over Chelsea. Life moves on.

Good luck to him, but not at our expense. Which it wasn't.
I think I said it before somewhere on here. Probably pissed on Saturday night, but I think all this hand-wringing about booing is a bit much. I don't know about anyone else but I gave them grief because they are the opposition, we had a bit of extra ammo to do it with and it's fun to hurl invective at the other side. It became even more fun when it was clear it was helping them crumble and put a bit extra in the Albion players steps. In the stadium there's no time for dispassionate conversations about respect or ex manager/players records etc. You just give it to them. Because they are the enemy. Now the games over i couldn't care less about Potter, Cucurella or anyone else. I just wish we could summon the will to give the opposition that level of grief every week. His comments about apologising tell you everything you need to know about how.much he was obviously rattled, and for that I say GOOD. It clearly transmitted to his players.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Nasty, spiteful, personal attack there. Here's a good ol' English saying for you Swanny - "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nasty, spiteful, personal attack there. Here's a good ol' English saying for you Swanny - "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen".
Haha. Bloke has been attacking me for years and I frequently give it back. Entirely mutual.
My guess is that neither he nor me really mind the heat of the kitchen.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I don't any woman who would turn to prostitution out of choice, they have probably been abused, used or trafficked. So please don't use that terminology.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think I said it before somewhere on here. Probably pissed on Saturday night, but I think all this hand-wringing about booing is a bit much. I don't know about anyone else but I gave them grief because they are the opposition, we had a bit of extra ammo to do it with and it's fun to hurl invective at the other side. It became even more fun when it was clear it was helping them crumble and put a bit extra in the Albion players steps. In the stadium there's no time for dispassionate conversations about respect or ex manager/players records etc. You just give it to them. Because they are the enemy. Now the games over i couldn't care less about Potter, Cucurella or anyone else. I just wish we could summon the will to give the opposition that level of grief every week. His comments about apologising tell you everything you need to know about how.much he was obviously rattled, and for that I say GOOD. It clearly transmitted to his players.
It was GREAT that they were all clearly rattled, rare show of genuine emotion from the Albion fanbase. Showed the strength of feeling. Hard to see it becoming a regular fixture mind, not even for visit of Palace, which is a bit of a shame

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here