Will you boo Dean Hammond?

• Yes

Votes: 55 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 577 91.3%

• Total voters

Dandyman

In London village.
No - it was the Club's mishandling of the situation that lead to him going IMO.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No - it was the Club's mishandling of the situation that lead to him going IMO.

I don't think the circumstances of his leaving are the issue here.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Worth stating that, despite weighing-in very heavily on the anti-Hammond side, you won't find me booing an Albion player. I just wish he wasn't one.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I am totally against this signing but having just seen the interview on Seagulls Player, he does say "I have alot to prove to the Brighton fans and I am hoping I can get them on side" "I have grown up, alot". So I think it's worth giving him just the smallest chance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am totally against this signing but having just seen the interview on Seagulls Player, he does say "I have alot to prove to the Brighton fans and I am hoping I can get them on side" "I have grown up, alot". So I think it's worth giving him just the smallest chance.

Sounds about as close to an apology as we're going to be getting, which is fair enough. Onwards and upwards.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
51 idiots so far, and counting!

Are they the same idiots who, at Withdean, booed our younger players (yet first-team regulars) during the pre-match warm-up?

Hammond clearly developed well at Southampton, Captain of a team which went up by automatic promotion, missing being Champions by just 1 point, and having an outstanding goal difference, 11 better than the Champions.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Worth stating that, despite weighing-in very heavily on the anti-Hammond side, you won't find me booing an Albion player. I just wish he wasn't one.

I'm not sure about the Booing thing but if it happens it will have nothing to do with the team. As a person he has shown that he has no respect for the Albion supporters so why should we respect him? I don't think it is one of Gus's finest decisions to bring him back. Thankfully only on loan.

On the other hand perhaps it is a master stroke by Gus. Maybe he will sit on the bench for every game and not get a game, looking at what he could have had if he hadn't been such a pr*ck

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I am with the majority with this one. I will not boo him but he has an awful lot to do on the field to make up for his disgraceful antics in front of the South Stand. It was wholly unjustified and you really had to be there to see the vitriol in his gestures.

I am quite surprised that Hammond and Gus seem to be conveniently forgetting the incident. A great bit of PR and perhaps trying to rebuild bridges might have been a statement from Hammond acknowledging the error of his ways and vowing to make up for it with committed performances on the pitch.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

It wouldn't have been hard for him to say I apologise for my celebration that night. I don't like him but I won't boo him though.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Absolutely brilliant to have him back. Different class. Brighton born and bred. Cannot wait to see him in the stripes again.

Yeah! However he wants to remember what a complete and utter A grade **** he has been in the past. Should publicly apologise and atone for his past behaviour and god only knows he's gonna have his work cut out getting a lot of people back onside. I personally think he will get more stick than he can cope with.Won't boo him 'cos I have never booed an Albion player but seriously doubt his real motives for his return.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I was there when Hammond scored against us and then gave the abuse to pretty much the whole of the South Stand at Withdean. I have booed him every time he's played against us since. However I will cheer him in the stripes and this is why:
1. He's acknowledged since that what he did in that match was wrong
2. He's a local lad, came through the ranks here and if not playing the game would probably be watching with us.
3. I personally didn't rate him that much when he left but in my opinion he's improved his game a lot and matured as a player.
4. In these days of twatter, etc he'll know how a significant number of supporters feel about how he behaved so it takes balls to come back to the club knowing that

Give him a decent reception and he could well be a key player for us this season.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Hmmm Have only just seen this. If i was a cynic you could reinterpret "i have grown up a lot" as "i now realise what side ny bread is buttered and that with Soton's ambitions squeezing me out i'd better take what i can".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
4. In these days of twatter, etc he'll know how a significant number of supporters feel about how he behaved so it takes balls to come back to the club knowing that.

balls or a lack of ambition/imagination?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah! However he wants to remember what a complete and utter A grade **** he has been in the past. Should publicly apologise and atone for his past behaviour and god only knows he's gonna have his work cut out getting a lot of people back onside. I personally think he will get more stick than he can cope with.Won't boo him 'cos I have never booed an Albion player but seriously doubt his real motives for his return.

88% on these boards don't appear to have a problem with him. That will mean something like 98% of people in the ground what have an issue with him.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was there when Hammond scored against us and then gave the abuse to pretty much the whole of the South Stand at Withdean. I have booed him every time he's played against us since. However I will cheer him in the stripes and this is why:
1. He's acknowledged since that what he did in that match was wrong
2. He's a local lad, came through the ranks here and if not playing the game would probably be watching with us.
3. I personally didn't rate him that much when he left but in my opinion he's improved his game a lot and matured as a player.
4. In these days of twatter, etc he'll know how a significant number of supporters feel about how he behaved so it takes balls to come back to the club knowing that

Give him a decent reception and he could well be a key player for us this season.

Well said. Think that sums it up in my view.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I suspect that you were one of the fans that were winding him up. I presume you have never reacted to provocation

No I never wound him up at all. I don't remember that much provocation either Langley but I may be wrong there.
And of course I have reacted to provocation but this thread is not about me but a professional footballer who thought it clever to take the piss out of the majority who had supported him from when he was 16 years of age and playing for our club.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's a f***ing mong and on the pitch he goes missing when things are going badly.

I don't like him at all and hopefully he barely features. Or even better, we go up and Gus ditches the prick before he gets a chance to play in the top flight.

He can f***ing do one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here