Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi: “Bigger clubs can buy our players but they can't buy our soul or spirit.”

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Great insight into his brain, clearly values attributes outside footballing ability more than other managers.

Love this quote but also wonder what he means by the footballing part….
“ Brighton is the team that least resembles me footballingly but most resembles me as a soul."”
You just beat me to it! I'd have guessed our exciting, maverick style would have been his 🤷‍♂️...but it's making me think.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Great insight into his brain, clearly values attributes outside footballing ability more than other managers.

Love this quote but also wonder what he means by the footballing part….
“ Brighton is the team that least resembles me footballingly but most resembles me as a soul."”

Maybe history footballing wise, but has a clear connection with us a club and what we have done off the pitch to get where we are today.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I took that to mean his own footballing style as a player? But maybe that’s wrong
Yes, that's how I read it too...but I'd have thought he'd be coaching us in his personal style. Maybe that style didn't work for him so he created this new style!!
I need to look at how Shakhtar were playing under him.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I think it means the way we play isn't like he used to when he was a footballer. Obviously we are playing his style.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really enjoyed that, thanks. I didn't understand this little quote... I'd have thought we were similar🤔
"My Brighton is the team that least resembles me footballingly but most resembles me as a soul.”
I read it as he was a shit footballer in comparison to the players we have, but the way we play is how he wishes he had been able to :lolol:

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Yes, that's how I read it too...but I'd have thought he'd be coaching us in his personal style. Maybe that style didn't work for him so he created this new style!!
I need to look at how Shakhtar were playing under him.
Very similarly on the surface, probably. Feel like this sort of detail is where us mere mortals struggle to grasp some of the more subtle nuances of a playing philosophy (when compared to elite football coaches).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I love that phrase "we were following Fred but with the headlights off" :lolol:

There's something slightly sinister but very italian about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here