Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Bowie

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My opinion, for that's what it is, is just as relevant as the opinions of the majority on here who think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I obviously missed the sub-heading on the thread stating "all posts must be unfailingly positive".

Its about timing don't you think?

I'm not a particular fan of Bowie's, but I do respect that he has been an influence on enormous amounts of musicians over the last four decades. It should also be fairly clear that a lot of people were moved by his music and are going to find this news upsetting. Threads like these are for those who want to share their thoughts over how a very important artist has affected lives. The people mourning him are not interested in your opinions at this stage and are going to react to your intrusion as if you had just turned up at funeral shouting 'Why are you sad? I never liked him!'

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I admired the way he avoided the publicity machine and let his music and stage persona do the talking. I wish more of today's artists took that approach.

The weird thing was, when you did see him being interviewed, he came across as a very normal, un-prima donna-like and humorous south London bloke.

Any truth in the story that he once lived in Hailsham? I was told that was part of the Laughing Gnome/train to Eastbourne thing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Under Pressure with Queen is one of my favourite performances of all time. Astonishing talent. If I watch the video to Heroes it still sends tingles up my spine and The Man Who Sold The World is, in my opinion, in the top ten songs ever written.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
6 Music are doing an excellent job this morning, really enjoying listening to the music and stories.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Never been much of a fan of Bowie, to be honest. I think much of his music is a bit overrated but he certainly managed to hang in there over the decades and reinvent himself constantly, which is an achievement in itself.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
6 Music are doing an excellent job this morning, really enjoying listening to the music and stories.

This. Makes you realise / remember how much truly great stuff he did and also the massive influence he was on popular culture and music over such a long period.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Under Pressure with Queen is one of my favourite performances of all time. Astonishing talent. If I watch the video to Heroes it still sends tingles up my spine and The Man Who Sold The World is, in my opinion, in the top ten songs ever written.

It's a shame he didn't perform heroes at the London Olympic Games opening. He was asked i believe.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a shame he didn't perform heroes at the London Olympic Games opening. He was asked i believe.

Is that so? I think a lot of artists turned down the ceremony as they thought it was going to be a disaster. Still, he has more than enough awesome performances under his belt.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Never been much of a fan of Bowie, to be honest. I think much of his music is a bit overrated but he certainly managed to hang in there over the decades and reinvent himself constantly, which is an achievement in itself.

Now look here, you're not allowed to post anything on this thread apart from love and great affection for the man and his music. I've been roundly criticised for daring to go off message.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Now look here, you're not allowed to post anything on this thread apart from love and great affection for the man and his music. I've been roundly criticised for daring to go off message.

Give it up son. Your attempts are pretty sad.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My opinion, for that's what it is, is just as relevant as the opinions of the majority on here who think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I obviously missed the sub-heading on the thread stating "all posts must be unfailingly positive".

No, and I don't feel sorry for you in the slightest for not being touched by any of his music, that is your prerogative and I don't care. But coming on an RIP thread just to have a bit of 'look at me' time is rather unnerving. I was absolutely no fan whatsoever of Lemmy's music but I didn't feel compelled to go on the RIP thread and announce it to all and sundry!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The music, the fashion, the characters, the acting. What a life he had!

Managing to produce Black Star before he died was a wonderful thing.

RIP David Bowie - for me the classiest UK pop star ever.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really, he seemed to be offering an alternative view on his talent not a view as I can see in his demise.

Nope. He was just looking for a reaction, as witnessed by his repeated responses. He had no view of DB's 'talent', admitting that he didn't actually know any of the music. Just stirring, presumably out of spite or boredom. Anyway, I'm not derailing the thread further. Bye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here