Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Bowie

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Absolutely peerless. Probably no one as influential, ever.
& typical to get the album out (which he made knowing he was dying) in time, before any sympathetic or sentimental reviews

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters.

Ain't no one else in the history of music can match that unbroken run of consecutive bona fide classic studio albums, covering an entire decade with barely a bum song between them.

RIP

(I don't count Pin Ups by the way.)

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Now look here, you're not allowed to post anything on this thread apart from love and great affection for the man and his music. I've been roundly criticised for daring to go off message.

A bit pointless to be precious over this. It's just pop music after all. It would be a bit dull if we all liked the same artists...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Just heard Ricky Gervais talking about DB's death, and re-counting a story about emailing him on his 57th birthday:

It read: “57? Isn’t it about time you got a proper job? Ricky Gervais, 42, Comedian.” He replied: “I have a proper job. David Bowie, 57, Rock God.”

DavePage

A very sad announcement to wake up to this morning, Remember walking past the Dome the night of his Hunky Dory tour. I was just a kid, but didn’t make the same mistake twice. I was there for the Ziggy tour.
Remember waiting outside the Original Virgin store for the release of Aladdin Sane, going in to sit on the beanbags, headphones on in a very musty store. Could go on forever, which sadly he could not. Another life hero gone RIP

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Thanks to whoever said to put 6 music on. Seems they're having an improper David Bowie day.
Thank you. I was getting a bit teary reading the thread but this made me laugh. I assume you meant impromptu!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is he not entitled to an opinion different to yours?

Let's hope you're this affectionate/sensitive when Justin Bieber dies.

Yes he is. My opinion has nothing to do with it. As it goes, I was never a huge fan. Its about respect.

And frankly, just not being a prick.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its strange, I never really got into Bowie at all until I was about 30, all i really had to go on was the stuff from 2000 onwards which never really set my world on fire.

A good friend of mine was shocked when i mentioned my lack of love for his work and suggested i went out and purchased Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust...

Best £20 i have ever spent musically, I think in the last 10 years the 2 Cds have never left my car, absolutely top drawer stuff

I urge anyone who does not understand what all the fuss is about to listen to these masterpieces

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One of the tributes to him said they felt dis-orientated and never believed Bowie would ever die.

I feel that way at present I spent my youth idolising Bowie as to me he was everything I wanted to be and everything I was interested in.

His music I have purchased as vinyl, cassette, CD and now in MP3 format, his films were sometimes terrible but others were genius and he acted on Broadway.

I do not ever think there will ever be a musician so talented and so different as he was ever again and I am so glad I saw him live many times.

It is a shocking day

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What a weird feeling. I heard about this from this thread this morning, and have felt numb all day, really down.

I first became aware of Bowie when I was 10, and Starman was on Top of the Pops. It was incredible, and I was instantly hooked. I begged for, saved up for, got for presents, all his albums. The first seven albums I owned were all by him, and I still love them now.

It's strange, DB has always been THE musical hero in my eyes, but I had, for many years, refused to listen to anything after Let's Dance. Since the new year I have been listening to a lot of the more recent stuff, and surprising myself by discovering that I like a lot of that too. I've hardly listened to anyone else in 2016.

That run of albums in the 70s...nobody will ever touch that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here