Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Bowie

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
[tweet]686460529385287684[/tweet]

I'm not too sure but I think the song was written about the people who had to say goodbye to loved ones at friedrichstrasse station on the east to west border. If anyone is ever in Berlin I'd thoroughly recommend a visit to the museum there. I'm sure it's called the palace of tears.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
During the last music lesson of term when I was at school our music teacher - a complete eccentric and really rather nice chap - would say to us that because we had put up with Mozart, Schubert and the like we could bring our music in for him to listen too just to prove that he was open to all types. Well after 20 minutes of sickening David Cassidy and the Osmonds he played my track from Alladdin Sane.......Time.
He started to make his move after 'flexes like a whore' but never got the L.P. off before 'falls
w anking to the floor.'

"Right there is always someone who has to ruin it isn't there" he shouted, and the was the end of that.

That track has a particular part of me and the other Bowie fans from our class etched forever within us.

RIP David.........the first pop/rock star I found.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Today has been about the best ever day for music on the radio, I have flipped between Radio 2 and Radio 6, both have pkayed some truly great tracks from Man who sold the World right up to Where are we now.
Thanks Auntie Beeb, you've made a very sad day into on a of a musical celebration of a genius

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unless it is a slow news day I don't think I have ever seen BBC 6 o'clock news devote so much airtime to someones death except for today for Bowie unless the death of a member of the Royal Family or a very senior politician.

Also I am sure they said he was Sir David Bowie - when was the great man knighted ?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Unless it is a slow news day I don't think I have ever seen BBC 6 o'clock news devote so much airtime to someones death except for today for Bowie unless the death of a member of the Royal Family or a very senior politician.

Also I am sure they said he was Sir David Bowie - when was the great man knighted ?

He turned down a knighthood by all accounts.

PG

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

He turned down a knighthood.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I have spent the day like you all, in mourning. Bearing my soul here but Bowie is up there as a social god to me. I didn't know how I felt about growing up, confused, anxious, excited. Bowie was one excitement. Sexually ambiguous ( some classic quotes over the years by him about sexuality and humanity!), culturally different in a massively artistic way. Made me believe I could be me too! Loved his invented personas. Mind you I blame him for the amount of time it took me to decide 'who' I was! Bless the man.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The man who fell to earth was a cult classic. David Bowie was perfect in this slghtly weird film.

I always sort of thought he was playing himself in that film in a roundabout way. Remembering what the reaction to him was in his early days. I do love that film.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
So I have played the 87 Bowie songs on my iPod, just need to dig out the CDs of Heroes, Station to station & Lodger

As a mod, have you played the 1966 singles? 'I Dig Everything', and the Spencer Davis-esque 'I Can't Help Thinking About Me'...?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Have had a day gorging on his music. Now about to say farewell with Labyrinth.

You remind me of the babe
What babe? the babe with the power
What power? power of voodoo
Who do? you do
Do what? remind me of the babe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here