Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My LMC (Local Meteor Craters) are all nice and pronounced.
They look like they are being regularly cleaned giving me the, probably unrealistic, hope that the council are on to them.

Box Hill on Tuesday reminded me what smooth tarmac feels like.
We put up with so much shite (cars and bikes) that what I thought was a decent quality road, is nothing of the sort.
It's still bloody rough, when compared to properly good, smooth, tarmac.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Yeah that was my reference point.

All I can think that has happened is yesterday I dropped my bike while cleaning it, which might have slightly moved the saddle.
It looked a little 'off' but only by a few of mm's.

Everything felt great, comfy and fast, I was even wearing a short sleeve jersey.
Then out of nowhere I got a really sharp localised stabbing pain in my thigh, followed by both piriformis muscles flaring up. (Not that I knew I had such things at the time).

They are still bloody painful now.

There is a first for medical science, here.
This is the first time EVER I have self diagnosed, through t'internet, and not ended up with a terminal disease.

I feel a little cheated :lol:

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
P
Yeah that was my reference point.

All I can think that has happened is yesterday I dropped my bike while cleaning it, which might have slightly moved the saddle.
It looked a little 'off' but only by a few of mm's.

Everything felt great, comfy and fast, I was even wearing a short sleeve jersey.
Then out of nowhere I got a really sharp localised stabbing pain in my thigh, followed by both piriformis muscles flaring up. (Not that I knew I had such things at the time).

They are still bloody painful now.

There is a first for medical science, here.
This is the first time EVER I have self diagnosed, through t'internet, and not ended up with a terminal disease.

I feel a little cheated :lol:

Sounds a right pain in the arse. :):facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The tentative application of Deep Heat cream has bought back a quality memory from my yoof:-

While playing Sunday football, just before halftime, our punchy little psychopath got a kick in the goolies.
He wasn't happy an was bibbling about the pain.
His best mate gave him a can of Ralgex telling that'll sort him right out.
Naturally we all agreed.

So, to our amazement, Pete liberally hosed down his gentleman's area with Ralgex.

What followed was so funny, I'm laughing about it all over again 25 years later.
There were tears, his face went bright red, while his knees shot out sideways.

Happy days.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are NSC GEEKS going to have a presence at THE EASTBOURNE FESTIVAL OF CYCLING?

Cat 4 race for anyone who fancies giving racing a bit of a go - I am tempted!

Junior races all promoted by Brighton Excelsior's junior arm - VC Jubilee. Great fun for kids wishing to give competitive cycling a bit of a go.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
It's all too dark an art, for my liking.

I'm hoping to upgrade my wheels in the Summer, buying a set from Hunt's.
They'll be compatible for either set up, but it'll be a minor miracle (plus excellent salesmanship) for me to go tubeless.

I had a tubed tyre pop off the front wheel a few weeks ago - curiously it was a few hours after my ride. The tyre is back with the manufacturer for a report. Tubeless road tyres is something I'm a million miles away from, but if your tyre pops off it doesn't make much difference if there is a tube there or not.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Thanks, bloody annoying not unlucky.

Just south of Shere there's a climb aptly named on Strava 'The Never Ending Hill'.
Bloody hell, 2.2 miles, straight up, no rest bite, and because of the trees no sense of where the top is.

If I tell Colin, I'll have to go back...

...I'll not be telling Colin.

There's lots of fun to be had on variations of that ride, may I offer a couple of options?
1) At the top of Green Dene don't roll down Coombe Lane to Shere, but instead turn right down Staples Lane. It is the most beautiful of descents as you descend a ridge with 270 degree views. Turn left at the bottom along the A246 and then at the traffic lights turn left along (read "Up") Newlands Corner.
2) The Leith and Ranmore bit also works well backwards. From Ewhurst go up Pitch Hill (an popular cycling hill) and down the never ending hill. Turn right along the A25 to Abinger, left up Whitedown Lane (my favourite!) then right at the top down Ranmore to Dorking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's lots of fun to be had on variations of that ride, may I offer a couple of options?
1) At the top of Green Dene don't roll down Coombe Lane to Shere, but instead turn right down Staples Lane. It is the most beautiful of descents as you descend a ridge with 270 degree views. Turn left at the bottom along the A246 and then at the traffic lights turn left along (read "Up") Newlands Corner.
2) The Leith and Ranmore bit also works well backwards. From Ewhurst go up Pitch Hill (an popular cycling hill) and down the never ending hill. Turn right along the A25 to Abinger, left up Whitedown Lane (my favourite!) then right at the top down Ranmore to Dorking.
Great, thanks for that.

My mate Phil got a little titsy that I went to Box Hill without him.
So I get the impress I'll be back in the grim north soon(ish).

This will definitely come in handy.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Funk it.

I sacked off chrome, because my laptop kept telling me my system was gonna stop supporting it. That marvellous strava extension is no good for ie or firefox.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lizzie A in a different posctode again.

She gives a great interview to The Cycling Podcast chaps, this week.

I only took issue with one thing she said, when discussing not having a trainer.

Lizzy - You don't know your body better than anyone else. :wink:

#nightvisionpervert :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey theatre going geeks, this popped up as an NSC advert.
(There was a time when I was getting ads for 'local milfs')

http://www.rosetheatrekingston.org/whats-on/beryl

1066 last night I found Omloop het Nieuwsblad in the bike channel, through my Murdoch box.
Sadly I had a long blink while the final selection was taking place, but nevertheless it's good to finally get to the season start.

Oh and Moto, Garmin seem to have a love hate relationship with Chrome, I guess that extends to the widget as well.
I bet there's a way round it, the bike radar forum will know what to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here