Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A great ride today Stat, bloody unlucky the Garmin ran out. :bowdown:
Thanks, bloody annoying not unlucky.

It flashed up after 40 miles that the battery was low, even though it was fully charged when I left, so I should be grateful it didn't cost me more miles.
It's a little 'swings & roundabouts' as it went before Bedham climb then going onto Bury.
So it cost me some elevation, but saved me a lot of average speed, as they were brutal.

Just south of Shere there's a climb aptly named on Strava 'The Never Ending Hill'.
Bloody hell, 2.2 miles, straight up, no rest bite, and because of the trees no sense of where the top is.

If I tell Colin, I'll have to go back...

...I'll not be telling Colin.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's all too dark an art, for my liking.

I'm hoping to upgrade my wheels in the Summer, buying a set from Hunt's.
They'll be compatible for either set up, but it'll be a minor miracle (plus excellent salesmanship) for me to go tubeless.

What are you looking to spend and what have you narrowed it down to so far?

I've been well impressed by the Zondas out on the road. They seem to glide along and feel very smooth compared to the budget Aksiums. I can't honestly say they felt like they gave me more momentum going uphill, even on the 16% sections on Friday night, but then that's probably because I'm in pretty poor shape and nothing to do with the wheels. I didn't get out the saddle much for accelerations on the long flattish drag section either so can't say how the extra stiffness responds just yet either, but again, that's me and not the wheels. I'm hoping to get fitter again and really start enjoying these wheels.

After endless review reading and research the Zondas came out as being the best bang for your buck at that price point. Lot's of reviews, both articles and customer written, saying you don't get a huge amount of difference by going to double the price. For a rider on my level the Zondas seem like the perfect upgrade. Someone a lot quicker, like yourself, might benefit from spending more, but I certainly couldn't justify it.

You'lll have to slap my wrist though as I bought these for the Sram bike, not the Campag commuter. I suppose there's a rule or two I've broken there, but hey ho.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Thanks, bloody annoying not unlucky.

It flashed up after 40 miles that the battery was low, even though it was fully charged when I left, so I should be grateful it didn't cost me more miles.
It's a little 'swings & roundabouts' as it went before Bedham climb then going onto Bury.
So it cost me some elevation, but saved me a lot of average speed, as they were brutal.

Just south of Shere there's a climb aptly named on Strava 'The Never Ending Hill'.
Bloody hell, 2.2 miles, straight up, no rest bite, and because of the trees no sense of where the top is.

If I tell Colin, I'll have to go back...

...I'll not be telling Colin.

Kudos sir.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What are you looking to spend and what have you narrowed it down to so far?

I've been well impressed by the Zondas out on the road. They seem to glide along and feel very smooth compared to the budget Aksiums. I can't honestly say they felt like they gave me more momentum going uphill, even on the 16% sections on Friday night, but then that's probably because I'm in pretty poor shape and nothing to do with the wheels. I didn't get out the saddle much for accelerations on the long flattish drag section either so can't say how the extra stiffness responds just yet either, but again, that's me and not the wheels. I'm hoping to get fitter again and really start enjoying these wheels.

After endless review reading and research the Zondas came out as being the best bang for your buck at that price point. Lot's of reviews, both articles and customer written, saying you don't get a huge amount of difference by going to double the price. For a rider on my level the Zondas seem like the perfect upgrade. Someone a lot quicker, like yourself, might benefit from spending more, but I certainly couldn't justify it.

You'lll have to slap my wrist though as I bought these for the Sram bike, not the Campag commuter. I suppose there's a rule or two I've broken there, but hey ho.
I think these are the ones I was looking at, although I seem to remember them a bit cheaper.

http://www.huntbikewheels.com/colle...season-aero-road-wheelset-1589g-28deep-22wide

I always thought handmade wheels where prohibitively expensive, so was quite surprised that these (when they were just over £200) were so 'cheap'. With the added bonus of them being local as I must ride past their workshop once a month.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think these are the ones I was looking at, although I seem to remember them a bit cheaper.

http://www.huntbikewheels.com/colle...season-aero-road-wheelset-1589g-28deep-22wide

I always thought handmade wheels where prohibitively expensive, so was quite surprised that these (when they were just over £200) were so 'cheap'. With the added bonus of them being local as I must ride past their workshop once a month.

Look very similar spec and price point to the Zondas. Added bonus you've got there though is you're supporting local business. I take it mates have these then and they come well recommended. They certainly look the part, and bomb proof is always a good option on our roads :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Look very similar spec and price point to the Zondas. Added bonus you've got there though is you're supporting local business. I take it mates have these then and they come well recommended. They certainly look the part, and bomb proof is always a good option on our roads :thumbsup:
They've always been well reviewed on www.road.cc.
I don't know anyone with them, but Phil has been looking at them too.
Colin won't as they aren't red, and his cycling knowledge doesn't go beyond 'does it have any red, on it'. :facepalm:

Right I'm done stuffing my fat little face.
Off to watch The West Wing, fingers crossed I wake up in time for the commentary.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] - very much enjoying the Garmin, I like to track my true weekly distance on Boris - and it keeps me motivated to keep him on the road!

Also [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - The West Wing is a massive shout. You've gone even higher in my estimations than you already were.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] - very much enjoying the Garmin, I like to track my true weekly distance on Boris - and it keeps me motivated to keep him on the road!

Also [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - The West Wing is a massive shout.
I started watching The West Wing after re-watching The Sopranos.
With all great TV around over the last 10 years I wanted to check it was still deserving a place in my all time top 3.

I just can't believe not only how good it is, but even though it's 15 years old how absolutely up to date it is too.
Not just American internal politics but globally the programme has been spot on.

Everything Toby Ziegler (basically Aaron Sorkin) says is completely relevant to today.

An amazing programme, right out there with The Sopranos, nothing else comes close to those two.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
With all great TV around over the last 10 years I wanted to check it was still deserving a place in my all time top 3.

I just can't believe not only how good it is, but even though it's 15 years old how absolutely up to date it is too.
Not just American internal politics but globally the programme has been spot on.

Everything Toby Ziegler (basically Aaron Sorkin) says is completely relevant to today.

An amazing programme, right out there with The Sopranos, nothing else comes close to those two.

Breaking Bad. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Breaking Bad.
Probably third.

BB, The Wire, the one I always forget!, were all in contention for second place, until going back to TWW.

It just doesn't miss a beat, the script, the acting, the characters are just about perfect.
Even when it's being a little too emotional I'm so invested in the situation that I'm nearer to tears than tuts.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I've watched it through three or four times now, incredible programme. All of the characters are on point, it just all came together. The only disappointing thing is that it didn't continue with the Santos Presidency, but leaving it where they did protected the legacy.

Back to cycling - the state of the drain covers on North Street is a shambles - if you're cycling up the hill there are three with a big gap to the road on one side, you can easily lose a roadtyre in there and stack it. A bendy bus was trying to squeeze me through there last night, bus drivers have no idea how dangerous potholes/road breaks/cracks can be if you only have a thin tyre. They can just prattle over them, but for those of us on a bike we need to not hit them otherwise the best you can hope for is a puncture, the worst is flying into a crowd of pedestrians!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back to cycling - the state of the drain covers on North Street is a shambles - if you're cycling up the hill there are three with a big gap to the road on one side, you can easily lose a roadtyre in there and stack it. A bendy bus was trying to squeeze me through there last night, bus drivers have no idea how dangerous potholes/road breaks/cracks can be if you only have a thin tyre. They can just prattle over them, but for those of us on a bike we need to not hit them otherwise the best you can hope for is a puncture, the worst is flying into a crowd of pedestrians!
It's a odd one.

It seems like normally, come springtime, the roads are full of cracks, gaps and general wear and tear damage.

But already this winter there seems like considerably more random holes appearing.
Proper holes 2, 3 or even 4 inches deep, with serrated edges, from a few inches wide to the size of a bin lid.

I guess that's more to do with rain water damage and we should be grateful there's not been much ice around, so far.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's a odd one.

It seems like normally, come springtime, the roads are full of cracks, gaps and general wear and tear damage.

But already this winter there seems like considerably more random holes appearing.
Proper holes 2, 3 or even 4 inches deep, with serrated edges, from a few inches wide to the size of a bin lid.

I guess that's more to do with rain water damage and we should be grateful there's not been much ice around, so far.

It's not so bad when you know where they are but it's incredibly dangerous if you don't. There's a proper sinkhole on New Church Road, just west of the junction with Sackville Road/Hove Street, just past the first bus stop. It's a good couple of inches deep and wide. It took significant evasive action to avoid plunging into it. I'm not convinced the council have any plans to plug any of the holes either, there's been no evidence of it so far if there is.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey! Is EBH finally going to fulfill his early promise?

In cracking form at the moment! Should have won Qatar but for an unfortunate double puncture, and cracking finish in Oman today. Love to see him finally come good and have a belting season after his wasted years at Sky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here