Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, a little sweepstake.

With the South being battered by Storm Imogen (Imogen - how scary does that sound?), will I have an average speed of over or under 10mph for tomorrow's commute from Ovingdean, along the cliffs to the Marina, and then along the seafront to Hove?

I dipped below 12 on one day last week, but tomorrow appears to be ramping it up that little bit more.

So, whaddaya think?
You can definitely frame your second commute kudos.

Be safe.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's going to be so mad that I am actually quite looking forward to it!

Me too, but only because I'm willing to battle along half way on the extended home commute because I know what's in store for the second half heading east along the seafront :banana:

Here's hoping for all green traffic lights and not too much traffic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm thinking I may well be rekindling my swimming career tomorrow afternoon.
Having 'please upload onto strava' as my last words, isn't going to make me look that sensible.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for all the kind words. I will endeavour to stay as safe as humanly possible.

And yes, the commute home will be fun!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So, a little sweepstake.

With the South being battered by Storm Imogen (Imogen - how scary does that sound?), will I have an average speed of over or under 10mph for tomorrow's commute from Ovingdean, along the cliffs to the Marina, and then along the seafront to Hove?

I dipped below 12 on one day last week, but tomorrow appears to be ramping it up that little bit more.

So, whaddaya think?

10.5mph!!

:banana:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh god, this last 12 months of strong wind is now hardwired into my brain.

I'm off tomorrow and am going to keep it simple, doing my Wisborough Green loop.
I just checked the weather, and noted the winds weren't favourable, it'll be a northeasterly.

My instant thought was, 'change the route', until I looked again.

Those northeasterly winds will be 4mph. :facepalm:

I think I'll cope.

Enjoy Thursday's commute, PM.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh god, this last 12 months of strong wind is now hardwired into my brain.

I'm off tomorrow and am going to keep it simple, doing my Wisborough Green loop.
I just checked the weather, and noted the winds weren't favourable, it'll be a northeasterly.

My instant thought was, 'change the route', until I looked again.

Those northeasterly winds will be 4mph. :facepalm:

I think I'll cope.

Enjoy Thursday's commute, PM.

Sounds great! Cheers SB.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
First ride out on my new Zonda wheels tonight. Definitely worth the upgrade from Mavic Askiums.
Eddy was right about riding upgrades rather than buying them though. I really am shite on a bike it must be said :(

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Its been 3.5 months since I did a 50 (for various reasons). I think SAD has been playing its part too, I've just not been bouncing out of bed in the mornings. Anyway, the desire is back, even though seat is too low for a proper assault. Forecast was dry and wet, so I went out in winter gloves and thankfully resisted the temptation to remove the guards. Wind was against me going out and 20 miles in, the rain started. At 37 miles the legs began to burn but I still got my head down. 2 changes of gloves and a phone stop saw the pedaling % drop to 99. Then you see that [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] has gone insane today! :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its been 3.5 months since I did a 50 (for various reasons). I think SAD has been playing its part too, I've just not been bouncing out of bed in the mornings. Anyway, the desire is back, even though seat is too low for a proper assault. Forecast was dry and wet, so I went out in winter gloves and thankfully resisted the temptation to remove the guards. Wind was against me going out and 20 miles in, the rain started. At 37 miles the legs began to burn but I still got my head down. 2 changes of gloves and a phone stop saw the pedaling % drop to 99. Then you see that [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] has gone insane today! :bowdown:
I gave some thought to you and 100% pedaling, on Thursday.

It damn near killed me, and I only got to 95%, I'll not be doing it again.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I gave some thought to you and 100% pedaling, on Thursday.

It damn near killed me, and I only got to 95%, I'll not be doing it again.

I saw that in your ride and wondered. Its a different training technique which feels as hard as attacking average mph, especially when the first half is harder than usual into wind. I'm gonna keep at it coz I'm a bit of a twunt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I saw that in your ride and wondered. Its a different training technique which feels as hard as attacking average mph, especially when the first half is harder than usual into wind. I'm gonna keep at it coz I'm a bit of a twunt.
Clearly!!

Usually I seem to be a touch over 80%, working that extra 10% was really noticeable.
But as said I don't think that's for me and I'll carry on my own twunky training, attempting to ride 'through' short sharp shock, lumps in the road.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Has this one already been posted? Turning your clincher tubes into tubeless tubes, making you puncture resistant?

25g additional weight in each wheel though. That would be like me leaving 2 of my 4 bananas out of my pocket :eek:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/videos/cycling-tech/how-to-puncture-proof-your-tyres?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

Word of warning if you start removing inner tube cores. If the pump you take out with you is of the screw on variety, rather than the lever on type of track pumps, then once an inner tube core has been removed and put back on you may find yourself unable to re-inflate the tube with the screw on pump ever again.

I have a topeak race rocket pump and conti inner tubes all unscrew the core with this pump. I've been caught out on the road before with this and for that reason I'll never buy a conti tube again (every other inner tube I've ever had hasn't had this issue with their cores).

In theory of course if the sealant works then you shouldn't need the portable pump anyway, but I won't be trying this trick myself. I'm fast realising that nearly all of my punctures have been as a result of old tyres or under inflation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's all too dark an art, for my liking.

I'm hoping to upgrade my wheels in the Summer, buying a set from Hunt's.
They'll be compatible for either set up, but it'll be a minor miracle (plus excellent salesmanship) for me to go tubeless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here