Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Question time :

Just put the new Campag Zonda front wheel on and it really isn't spinning up very fast up on the stand . The mavic aksium that I just took off would spin for a whole lot longer when up on the stand. The Zonda feels nice and light compared to the aksium and is spinning silently, but am I missing something? Do new wheels have to be 'run in', and so after a ride they'll spin for longer? It's the first wheel upgrade I've ever done so it's all new to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's some ride.
Colin was a bit concerned about going up the A23, but the route doesn't as it's on the cycle lane.
He was also worried about it taking in Gatwick runway, but a long stretch of smooth tarmac is just far too tempting. :lol:

Both he and Phil were very keen this morning.
It'll be interesting to gauge the levels of keen from the 3 of us in 4 or 5 months time.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Colin was a bit concerned about going up the A23, but the route doesn't as it's on the cycle lane.
He was also worried about it taking in Gatwick runway, but a long stretch of smooth tarmac is just far too tempting. :lol:

Both he and Phil were very keen this morning.
It'll be interesting to gauge the levels of keen from the 3 of us in 4 or 5 months time.

You know you've got to do it now, it's there niggling away in your head.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
You know you've got to do it now, it's there niggling away in your head.

(Post 995)

Join him. Plenty of opportunities to turn off and head for home. See how long you can last.

This new Strava extension makes me more self-competitive. This morning I hit 100% pedaling time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
(Post 995)

Join him. Plenty of opportunities to turn off and head for home. See how long you can last.
If I were nifty on t'internet, this could be edited for the occasion:-

quote-i-am-just-going-outside-and-may-be-some-time-lawrence-oates-285322.jpg

This new Strava extension makes me more self-competitive. This morning I hit 100% pedaling time

:bowdown:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Some good bike racing this weekend in Valencia. This is well worth checking out:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
(Post 995)

This new Strava extension makes me more self-competitive. This morning I hit 100% pedaling time.

Id be dropped in the first 10 miles the pace they go round. I could always take a short cut to keep up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Id be dropped in the first 10 miles the pace they go round. I could always take a short cut to keep up.
You can fairly safely say we'll not be on Summer 40 mile pace.

I reckon the average would be somewhere around 16 mph, max, as the climbing isn't anything too scary.

Phil, knowing how much I hate stopping, has already made at least 2 comments along the lines of 'there will be cake stops, won't there'!!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
You can fairly safely say we'll not be on Summer 40 mile pace.

I reckon the average would be somewhere around 16 mph, max, as the climbing isn't anything too scary.

Phil, knowing how much I hate stopping, has already made at least 2 comments along the lines of 'there will be cake stops, won't there'!!

I think My brother in law ride with the 2 guys you ride with?? BTW I'm working the day you do the ride. :)

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think My brother in law ride with the 2 guys you ride with?? BTW I'm working the day you do the ride. :)
I've not met him, I take it he's a Southdowns Velo chap.
I'll attempt to remember the name, should our paths cross.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some good bike racing this weekend in Valencia. This is well worth checking out:

Thanks P, enjoyed that. I've neglected this race , bizarrely concentrating on the pretty boring Dubai sprint fest, so thanks for reminding me.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks P, enjoyed that. I've neglected this race , bizarrely concentrating on the pretty boring Dubai sprint fest, so thanks for reminding me.

They did have the better commentary team in Dubai I suppose...

Sun Tour has been pretty good too, though the Sky procession was rather inevitable.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So, a little sweepstake.

With the South being battered by Storm Imogen (Imogen - how scary does that sound?), will I have an average speed of over or under 10mph for tomorrow's commute from Ovingdean, along the cliffs to the Marina, and then along the seafront to Hove?

I dipped below 12 on one day last week, but tomorrow appears to be ramping it up that little bit more.

So, whaddaya think?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
So, a little sweepstake.

With the South being battered by Storm Imogen (Imogen - how scary does that sound?), will I have an average speed of over or under 10mph for tomorrow's commute from Ovingdean, along the cliffs to the Marina, and then along the seafront to Hove?

I dipped below 12 on one day last week, but tomorrow appears to be ramping it up that little bit more.

So, whaddaya think?

image.png. :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here