Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Come on, you know thats rubbish. The ride remains the ride. All this data stuff is for after the ride, once you've finished. Instead of thinking, I must of nailed that climb today, you can see how well you did on that climb. That's nothing like your analogy. :thumbsup:

Totally agree on the running analogy being nothing to do with, that was a bit of an after thought to be honest :lol:

I do think watching numbers can spoil a ride enjoyment though. I've been doing a 10 mile commute home lately and been recording it, rather than the more leisurely short trip I usually do. On recorded rides I keep finding myself getting hung up on avg speeds. The other day, as soon as I came out of work I hit traffic and instantly my average speed was now on a hiding to nothing. I found it winding me up and getting me impatient, whereas normally I'd be quite chilled about getting there when I get there. Having said that, when I upload the rides it is nice to see how segments compare to previous rides and where I am in terms of how it felt fitness wise.

I suppose it comes down to the individual riders' attitude to watching numbers. I agree, you can record rides and enjoy both the ride and numbers afterwards. However, I can't help feeling there is a correlation between the stock a rider puts on numbers and how many numbers they focus on and the enjoyment of the actual ride.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's hard not to agree about all the Strava numbers.

I do like the breakdown of the ride, % spent climbing, climbing speed then pedalling time.
As well as having my best segment times next to the current one.

Other than that, TBH I just dont understand it, which probably is no bad thing.

Yep, I confess that I love knowing what the gradient of climbs are as I'm riding them, and discovering cadence has been a revelation that I'm really glad you and IL put me onto. Comparing myself to myself has been quite useful too, especially when I realize all is not always as bad as I think it is when I actually look at the figures.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Comparing myself to myself has been quite useful too, especially when I realize all is not always as bad as I think it is when I actually look at the figures.
Although that can have it's drawbacks.
Last summer myself and Colin let battle commence on 'George Pub Hill Climb Sprint'.
Riding the .4 mile segment today, although not racing, still took over 30 seconds longer. :lol:

I can't believe just 6 months ago I was so much faster, and it's a little depressing to already be thinking 'well I ain't getting close to that again'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I do like the breakdown of the ride, % spent climbing, climbing speed then pedalling time.

Yup. I have the extension and that pedalling % is a good thing. Went up from 80 to 94 with a conscious effort. That has to have some fitness benefit, even though small.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yup. I have the extension and that pedalling % is a good thing. Went up from 80 to 94 with a conscious effort. That has to have some fitness benefit, even though small.
I've just found that if you go into 'my profile', the extension also gives you My year progressions to current month/day.

Which also has some natty stats on it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] how did you find Bexley?

That last 100 yards is brutal, isn't it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:eek: fook me that was hard. Think I could of walked up it quicker. Ran out of gears. Looks like the shard on my ride profile. :)
It's a cracker!, at the very moment you think 'this can't get any harder', it does!!

To make matters even worse, on my last 2 ascents I've been followed up the second section by clutch burning vans.
The last one of those, about 50 yards from the summit, I also had a car coming the other way to deal with.

Slo-mo carnage. :lol:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It's a cracker!, at the very moment you think 'this can't get any harder', it does!!

To make matters even worse, on my last 2 ascents I've been followed up the second section by clutch burning vans.
The last one of those, about 50 yards from the summit, I also had a car coming the other way to deal with.

Slo-mo carnage. :lol:

Just the incentive you needed to get up it. I'll be giving it a wide berth for while.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is that the climb that looks like its going to loop the loop, not that it would be physically possible? No wonder you didn't have enough left to go round the block.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that the climb that looks like its going to loop the loop, not that it would be physically possible? No wonder you didn't have enough left to go round the block.
It's 'normal' steep for the first section.
Then there's a little plateau, before the climb kicks up again, round to the left.

Unfortunately that second section, straight up, doesn't get you to the summit.
Instead you're riding straight at a 6 foot high stone bank sprouting trees, you have no sense of how far to go.

All of which is double digit climbing.

Upon reaching what turns out to be the last bend, just as you think 'thank god that's over', the final kick is the steepest section of all.

According to Strava the second section averages 14%, giving you some idea as to how steep the very last part is.
The climb totals 1.5 miles.

If anyone told [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] what was in store, then they are an enemy of cycling :lol:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Then there's a little plateau, before the climb kicks up again, round to the left.

Instead you're riding straight at a 6 foot high stone bank sprouting trees, you have no sense of how far to go.

Upon reaching what turns out to be the last bend, just as you think 'thank god that's over', the final kick is the steepest section of all.

According to Strava the second section averages 14%, giving you some idea as to how steep the very last part is.

If anyone told [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] what was in store, then they are an enemy of cycling :lol:

I would of taken a different route if they had. The first climb out of Wisborough Green is just the baby version.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Well you have just told me, and I will be avoiding it like the plague.

So, SB, you are an enemy of cycling.

The enemy within.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well you have just told me, and I will be avoiding it like the plague.

So, SB, you are an enemy of cycling.

The enemy within.
When we're out there PM, you'll have no idea till it's too late.
At that point you won't be thinking straight to remember this.

Making it all the funnier!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would of taken a different route if they had. The first climb out of Wisborough Green is just the baby version.
And to maintain my new found title as 'enemy of cycling', your ride needs an 'elevation correction'.
Your Garmin clearly didn't enjoy the experience either.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cadence isn't as well used as much I thought it would be, especially given the more sophisticated devises than mine.

How long before that extension becomes subscription only then SB?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here