Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
With the proceeds of the sale of my garminge2 to NE, I ordered an HRM. In the usual way, nobody was in so I've got to go to smegging Snodland to collect it.

That's handy, you can pick up SB's snood for him while you're there.

Oh, sorry, Snodland.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am in full agreement chaps.
Although I was thinking I'd be buying a MTB pair which believe me are even worse, so all of a sudden these don't look so bad.

But this is my last throw of the dice, even on comparatively 'warm' days my feet are painful very early on.
As for proper cold the photo you don't want to see is one of my post ride pinkies, or to be more precise blueies.

I can't help thinking if I carry on as I am, I'm asking for some kind of chilblain, circulation, mobility, trouble which isn't good news for a postie.

When t'other Colin said the spech boots he was wearing weren't as good as the NorthWave ones and he was still wearing just summer socks in -7, I was sold on the spot.

Whereas my hands are always fine and dandy wearing what are basically long fingered summer mitts.
If I find either of you two wearing these, looking like the ultimate cockwomble:-

gloves2.jpg

You'll be regretting taking the pee out of my cold toes :lolol:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's handy, you can pick up SB's snood for him while you're there.

Oh, sorry, Snodland.

Snoods are the new rock n roll.

In fairness I've only worn mine once, but it was great and it's only a simple fine cotton one.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am in full agreement chaps.
Although I was thinking I'd be buying a MTB pair which believe me are even worse, so all of a sudden these don't look so bad.

But this is my last throw of the dice, even on comparatively 'warm' days my feet are painful very early on.
As for proper cold the photo you don't want to see is one of my post ride pinkies, or to be more precise blueies.

I can't help thinking if I carry on as I am, I'm asking for some kind of chilblain, circulation, mobility, trouble which isn't good news for a postie.

When t'other Colin said the spech boots he was wearing weren't as good as the NorthWave ones and he was still wearing just summer socks in -7, I was sold on the spot.

Whereas my hands are always fine and dandy wearing what are basically long fingered summer mitts.
If I find either of you two wearing these, looking like the ultimate cockwomble:-

View attachment 71868

You'll be regretting taking the pee out of my cold toes :lolol:

I've got some gloves like that. Bontrager though.

I wore them last week when it was cold. They were lovely.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Video failed to load.

Tangent: what portable chain locks do cyclists recommend? D-locks will not always fasten to racks, gates, metal barriers etc.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Ha ha. I had a clipped in whoopsie today. Lost concentration up a hill and at low speed was too close to the kerb. Rather than take my chances and fight it, I done a Zaha onto the soft verge but not the looking around arms outstretched bit before banging my fist into the turf. No witnesses, which was nice.

And I found some words painted on my bike. (Translation for IL: I cleaned my very dirty bike.)

How does my HR reading look?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ha ha. I had a clipped in whoopsie today. Lost concentration up a hill and at low speed was too close to the kerb. Rather than take my chances and fight it, I done a Zaha onto the soft verge but not the looking around arms outstretched bit before banging my fist into the turf. No witnesses, which was nice.

And I found some words painted on my bike. (Translation for IL: I cleaned my very dirty bike.)

How does my HR reading look?

Could you translate the last bit too?:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another toastie toes ride this afternoon :thumbsup:

#hatersgonnahate :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't remember if I flagged this widget up, when it first appeared.
But as I'm sending it off to Phil, I'll include it here too:-

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/17...on-adds-even-more-detail-data-hungry-cyclists

http://thomaschampagne.github.io/stravistix/

Soon there'll be no enjoyment to riding at all, it'll all be like riding in a lab and looking at the numbers.

A bit like those people I see in gyms round our way who run indoors on a treadmill whilst looking out the window at the sea. It's as if no one told them there's a seafront they can run on for free :facepalm:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Soon there'll be no enjoyment to riding at all, it'll all be like riding in a lab and looking at the numbers.

A bit like those people I see in gyms round our way who run indoors on a treadmill whilst looking out the window at the sea. It's as if no one told them there's a seafront they can run on for free :facepalm:

Come on, you know thats rubbish. The ride remains the ride. All this data stuff is for after the ride, once you've finished. Instead of thinking, I must of nailed that climb today, you can see how well you did on that climb. That's nothing like your analogy. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's hard not to agree about all the Strava numbers.

I do like the breakdown of the ride, % spent climbing, climbing speed then pedalling time.
As well as having my best segment times next to the current one.

Other than that, TBH I just dont understand it, which probably is no bad thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here