Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
But shouldn't you and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] be training?

went out with Sussex Bike Club , was a bit cold and luckily we avoided a short rain shower while we were in Stans Bike Shack, temerature plumeted around 12 though and was very cold by time got back to Brighton

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
went out with Sussex Bike Club , was a bit cold and luckily we avoided a short rain shower while we were in Stans Bike Shack, temerature plumeted around 12 though and was very cold by time got back to Brighton

How far did you go? Where is Sussex Bike Club based?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
How far did you go? Where is Sussex Bike Club based?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sussexbikeclub/

todays ride was 35 miles, starting from Proper Cycling and Coffee in Hassocks. Circular route going through twineham, partrdidge green, stenying and back to hassocks.

we ride every sunday 10 am from lewes with the last sunday of the month starting from hassocks. in the summer we have shorter wednesday evening rides. Rides are between 30 to 50 miles. we are a sociable ride club rather that a heads down and ride like the wind club.Always have a coffee and cake stop halfway ish

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

todays ride was 35 miles, starting from Proper Cycling and Coffee in Hassocks. Circular route going through twineham, partrdidge green, stenying and back to hassocks.

we ride every sunday 10 am from lewes with the last sunday of the month starting from hassocks. in the summer we have shorter wednesday evening rides. Rides are between 30 to 50 miles. we are a sociable ride club rather that a heads down and ride like the wind club.Always have a coffee and cake stop halfway ish

Might join you one day 10am is a very acceptable start time.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Are you Nick Moon?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So you run the club! (Or at least the. FB page). Looks fun. I've always meant to stop off at that cafe, too.

Maybe some of the geeks will join you for a ride - when this bloody wind stops!

yes, i run club with a couple of others, rule 5!!!!! lol Always happy for someone to ride with

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Don't actually mind riding when it's cold. Just don't like it much in the rain.

I'm with you. -4 this morning on the way in but dry. I don't leave the house now if there's rain in the air!!!

On a separate note, I've been thinking about the proliferation of headcam clips around from cyclists. Obviously there are some horrendous bit of driving/driver behaviour but also some actions from cyclists that I wouldn't do in a million years, even though they're not technically in the wrong.

Also, a lot of the close pass clips don't seem that bad to me. Is this because -

1) I've been riding so long and become so jaded that I don't even notice if someone passes relatively close (I wouldn't expect a car to cross the white line to overtake on a busy road)

2) These people should stop moaning and there's nothing wrong with the gap

3) a mixture of 1 and 2!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But shouldn't you and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] be training?

Don't Stat. I keep getting angry with myself for not getting out more. The weather is rubbish, but that's no excuse.

That said, the other day I went out for a ride and coming back from Rottingdean to Brighton the wind was so strong I actually had to stop and get off the bike. Ludicrous.

I need a bit more Rule 5.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'm with you. -4 this morning on the way in but dry. I don't leave the house now if there's rain in the air!!!

On a separate note, I've been thinking about the proliferation of headcam clips around from cyclists. Obviously there are some horrendous bit of driving/driver behaviour but also some actions from cyclists that I wouldn't do in a million years, even though they're not technically in the wrong.

Also, a lot of the close pass clips don't seem that bad to me. Is this because -

1) I've been riding so long and become so jaded that I don't even notice if someone passes relatively close (I wouldn't expect a car to cross the white line to overtake on a busy road)

2) These people should stop moaning and there's nothing wrong with the gap

3) a mixture of 1 and 2!

I've been doing more group rides since I joined a club so only do the odd solo ride now and then, safety in numbers. I must admit I find most drivers ok, but there's always the odd idiot.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't Stat. I keep getting angry with myself for not getting out more. The weather is rubbish, but that's no excuse.

That said, the other day I went out for a ride and coming back from Rottingdean to Brighton the wind was so strong I actually had to stop and get off the bike. Ludicrous.

I need a bit more Rule 5.
Rule 5 isn't much good when being kind and sympathetic, we only ever use it to (jokingly) belittle others.
But it's heart is in the right place.

As [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] says it's been the warmest winter on record, there's been minimal ice, no snow, just wet and windy.
At the end of the day, that's still a plus.

I have to write this now as it may well not be true this time tomorrow, but:-

I'm yet to go on a ride this winter that I've regretted.

Yes I've got cold, wet and blown to smithereens, occasionally all at once, but plugging away has made me feel invincible on the odd good day.

Just get out there, plan your routes well and make the best of a bad situation, it'll pay off big time in the long run.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
the big problem this winter has been the wind. We have had to cancel more club rides this winter than in the past 3 years put together, simply because the wind has been to strong for safe group riding. Rain has been a bit of an issue last year but we were mostly lucky with the Sunday rides, and tend to only cancel when its hammering down and there is something quite amazing about battling through the elements to get home and have a hot drink and feel all self rightous!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here