[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
...and the Synapse Ultegra Disc that I'm continuing to lust over came 1st. Now I just need to find two-and-a-half grand down the back of the sofa...

Snap. Synapses are top bikes.

Flippin' 'eck Bold, 2 posts in 2 days. Steady on.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I don't recall who it was but I remember someone recently complaining about being unable to login to Bike Radar forums. I was having the same issue, I was in the forum, clicked the login button and it'd take me to the main (non-forum) page - but no logon button was obvious. Found that if I then clicked on the head/profile icon in the top right on that main page it would log me in and I'd have full access to the forums. So not sure if this was the same issue you were having?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, quite surprised by porte's form. Looks to be going well so will probably win Paris nice and fade by the summer!

Yeah, he does seem to bring good form into the early part of the season, but I really thought it was nailed on for Rohan Dennis. Wonder if Porte can steal Cadel's last hurrah in the road race on Sunday. Bit of a lottery there though. I learnt he's leaving Sky at the end of this season as well. Not sure where he's off to.

I don't recall who it was but I remember someone recently complaining about being unable to login to Bike Radar forums. I was having the same issue, I was in the forum, clicked the login button and it'd take me to the main (non-forum) page - but no logon button was obvious. Found that if I then clicked on the head/profile icon in the top right on that main page it would log me in and I'd have full access to the forums. So not sure if this was the same issue you were having?

That was me, thanks. I've been logged back in for the past couple of weeks as it's working again without problems at the moment, but back when I was having problems I was indeed clicking on the helmeted face thingy as I knew that was where to log in from but nothing was happening. As I said, not the first time I've had problems logging in to the site.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah, he does seem to bring good form into the early part of the season, but I really thought it was nailed on for Rohan Dennis. Wonder if Porte can steal Cadel's last hurrah in the road race on Sunday. Bit of a lottery there though. I learnt he's leaving Sky at the end of this season as well. Not sure where he's off to.

That was me, thanks. I've been logged back in for the past couple of weeks as it's working again without problems at the moment, but back when I was having problems I was indeed clicking on the helmeted face thingy as I knew that was where to log in from but nothing was happening. As I said, not the first time I've had problems logging in to the site.

Should you not be spending spare time researching Apple Macs? ??? :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Should you not be spending spare time researching Apple Macs? ??? :lolol:

I'm getting there, reluctantly. I have no affinity with that company whatsoever so it's research that's not coming easily, but I know I have to just bite the bullet. It's looking like a Macbook thingie, laptop in my language, is going to be the option as Mrs 1066 says daughter will need portability when coming home for Uni holidays etc. I'm still trying to get my head around the prospect of forking out that much money for a mac when I know a good speced windows laptop can be had for about a third of that price :nono: Thanks for your advice over there, it's come as some reassurance that we're actually making a long term 'investment' rather than just any old purchase I suppose.

Cycling and cycling talk is my only real release :lol: Hoping to get out on a club ride tonight, but not happy that this horrible drizzly rain is upon us.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I did go out on the club ride tonight despite giving it more than one second thought, but there was only one other mentalist who made it out.

The ride was a bit mental really as some of the cross winds were brutal. One gust had me wobbling big time and nearly coming a cropper, heart in the mouth moment. Quite a lot of debris on the roads, and added to the fact that all the roads were soaking wet and pitch black, the couple of steep descents on the route were just plain scary, for me at any rate. But boy does a ride like that make you feel alive! :) Really glad I made the effort.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I dread to think how many cogs I dropped this morning in response to the wind. A couple of descents even felt hard. The hill we done was a bit tough. Granny geared it. Even my mate who left me for dead admitted he had thoughts of getting off. A few frosty cars to keep us on our toes but a top ride for early January.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I dread to think how many cogs I dropped this morning in response to the wind. A couple of descents even felt hard. The hill we done was a bit tough. Granny geared it. Even my mate who left me for dead admitted he had thoughts of getting off. A few frosty cars to keep us on our toes but a top ride for early January.

Scratched record stat, strikes again.
Coming back from Shoreham on Fri I considered going inland but decided on a headwind workout.
I didnt give my gears a second thought and just rode at 85 rpm, when I remembered.
Everytime I took my mind off the task my rpm all but halved, I'd hate to think which gears i was using.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Was a cracking day for riding.:thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Page 5... blimey!

Fantasy cycling, has anyone set up a league yet? 'team | strings' is raring to go!

EDIT Looks like the 'standard' teams only get to enter 8 competitions this year (as opposed to last year where some competitions were for all and some were premium only). Therefore, I guess we will have to have some agreement about what we are entering - no fun in being the only entrant in one of the competitions.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Page 5... blimey!

Fantasy cycling, has anyone set up a league yet? 'team | strings' is raring to go!

EDIT Looks like the 'standard' teams only get to enter 8 competitions this year (as opposed to last year where some competitions were for all and some were premium only). Therefore, I guess we will have to have some agreement about what we are entering - no fun in being the only entrant in one of the competitions.

I think the fantasy league died on its arse here in the end. It would come as no surprise to me if they have cut the 'standard' competition to the bone and given more and more to 'premium' members. It was obvious even a few seasons back that they're making it more and more commercial and ultimately they'd like it to all be paid entry eventually I suspect.

There was talk on here of us setting up a vbookie type game for ourselves, but I don't think anyone stepped forward to volunteer to set it up and run it. If anyone did volunteer then I'd be up for playing any game that's fairly lightweight and doesn't involve picking teams for each and every stage of stage races. I did think of going for that CQ ranking game on the cycling news forum and was going to mention it here, but I left it too late in the end and missed the deadline. Might have a bash at that next season though as it's light on rules, and once you've picked a team at the start of the season that's pretty much it it seems.

Looking forward to the TDU starting next week. I might have a dabble with some small e/w bets for this to start the season off.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This weather - it's shit, isn't it? This will be my first non-cycling commuting week since...well..last January.

And I'm away at the weekend. No ride.

I hate January.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This weather - it's shit, isn't it? This will be my first non-cycling commuting week since...well..last January.

I hate January.

I dunno, caught a tail wind on an extended commute home today along the seafront and it was rather nice :) That's conveniently forgetting the head wind on the way out and cross winds whipping up from side roads though.

Another week when I feel fully justified of bottling out of the chain gang, again. They give rain coming in this evening as well, so that alone made my mind up.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I dunno, caught a tail wind on an extended commute home today along the seafront and it was rather nice :) That's conveniently forgetting the head wind on the way out and cross winds whipping up from side roads though.

Another week when I feel fully justified of bottling out of the chain gang, again. They give rain coming in this evening as well, so that alone made my mind up.

Will any of them turn up? Proper mentalists - taking Rule Number 5 too far!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I hate January.
I rather lost my mojo through Dec, and to be honest it's still not returned.
I popped out yesterday, and might do the same again tomorrow.

A 30 mph tailwind down the A259 (dead straight, pan flat, no junctions) is just too tempting.
It's just a shame, at some point we have to turn for home.
I could be knocking on [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION]'s door within an hour :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Will any of them turn up? Proper mentalists - taking Rule Number 5 too far!

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if a dozen of them show up. Plenty of No.5's in that lot. They reap the rewards though, as I've found out to my cost.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I may not get out this weekend. Mojo is fine, but grip confidence is low when it is this cold with water on the roads.

Fantasy league? Yes please.

Been fannying about on bikehike. The new climb involved a .2 mile constant 10% stretch. Even Ide is not that steep, just a lot longer with some short nasty bits.

Took me 15 miles to get my groove on last time out. Must. Shed. Timber.

Anyone who rides to my gaff gets a cuppa!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I may not get out this weekend. Mojo is fine, but grip confidence is low when it is this cold with water on the roads.

Fantasy league? Yes please.

Been fannying about on bikehike. The new climb involved a .2 mile constant 10% stretch. Even Ide is not that steep, just a lot longer with some short nasty bits.

Took me 15 miles to get my groove on last time out. Must. Shed. Timber.

Anyone who rides to my gaff gets a cuppa!
Need a damn sight more than a cuppa to get back home again, in this weather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports