Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
At your price point [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], owner of a B'Twin, radar has gone off, who are we to argue with him.

http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-£500

Hi :wave:

Yep, I've got a B'twin Triban 5, which has now been replaced by the Triban 500 model. I chose it, as it had Sora gears - slightly better than the basic 'Triban 3' model, and because it had a carbon fork.

I haven't done really big miles on it yet - partly due to a stupid rugby injury and partly due to becoming a father. Nevertheless, it effortlessly completed a sprint triathlon over the summer. The triple chainset - looked down on by many roadies - helped me fly up the climbs comparative to some other bikes.

I've just bought some proper Road shoes and want to ramp up the miles this year.

The downsides of the Triban range are the wheels, which I'll probably upgrade when I start on longer rides, and many Triban owners change the saddle (I've always found it comfortable, must have a funny shaped arse!).

I would recommend a trip to decathlon. The triban range are highly recommended at the price point, which is why I bought one. Decathlon may have something in the sale too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah avoiding Halfords, is no bad thing.
Although if you decided to push the boat out you'll be looking at a Boardman bike, exclusively from Halfords :shrug:

At your price point [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], owner of a B'Twin, radar has gone off, who are we to argue with him.

http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-£500

It's tough to turn up a bargain on Ebay.
There's the second hand shop in Brighton (who's name escapes me) but to me that also seems a bit pricey.

I think the best place to get maximum value for £250 is gumtree or Friday Ad.
It's on the small side but this proves my point:-
http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/specialized-allez-sport-road-bike/1094735134

Not for me but at £150 this maight just be ideal:-
http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/carrera-tdf-road-bike-used-only-3-times-/1093325135

At £150, that is a good deal!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
At £150, that is a good deal!

Agreed.

For all the Halfords knocking, and it is justified, a work mate got himself and his boy a Carerra each and they're made up with them. The back up in terms of first free service etc from Halfords is laughable he said, but the bikes themselves for what you get for your money more than make up for that.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Hi, long shot but I don't suppose anyone is looking to sell a 26" mountain bike wheel set before I head into eBay? Had front and back wheels stolen a few months back and need to get myself going again. Bike only cost about £400 so really can't bear to spend a lot more than £175 all in (thanks to the little **** who took my wheels I need the works - wheels, tyres, tubes, rotors, cassettes, rim tape and probably more)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I guess this is as good a place to ask this as anywhere.....

I want to get a bike, primarily for getting to the station and back, but also intend to do some weekend riding, road only, but I don't want to spend a fortune on one - max £250 really.

Where's best to look and what sort of thing should I be looking at? Bikes appear to have gone super-techno now. A few friends have advised me "avoid Halfords" is that right?

If you are 6 feet tall, can stretch to £320 and can collect from Maidstone, by bother in law will sell you his virtually unused Giant Defy which would be a stonking acquisition for you.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Very random bike request. I'm getting married in October and the lady fiance would love to have a tandem for the photos. There is nowhere in the West Midlands I can find that hire them. If I can find a knackered old one, I'm happy to try and give it a little TLC - it doesn't really need to work, it just needs to look alright for the photos. Any ideas?

EDIT: In fact, the wedding will have a vintage type theme, so old and knackered may look best.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 126

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Very random bike request. I'm getting married in October and the lady fiance would love to have a tandem for the photos. There is nowhere in the West Midlands I can find that hire them. If I can find a knackered old one, I'm happy to try and give it a little TLC - it doesn't really need to work, it just needs to look alright for the photos. Any ideas?

EDIT: In fact, the wedding will have a vintage type theme, so old and knackered may look best.

https://tandem-club.org.uk/files/information/tandemhire.html

Oh good luck btw. Look forward to the pics.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I got followed by some portuganese fella, so I followed him back. The lucky fella looks like he lives a couple of miles from the coast north of Lisbon with a 2k summit 22.5 or so miles away.

This morning was strange. Felt cold to the core. Couldn't see properly and it got a little damper the more I rode. Did enough to go over 50 for the week though. The new member looks like a contender for a few weekly podiums. Good work.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Gonna get out tomorrow, the boy was playing football today. Lovely out there now in sunny Broadwater.

Yep, winter days don't get much better than today for cycling; sunny, dry roads, light winds and not too cold, great stuff!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Never posted on this thread before as only been casual commuter cyclist until talked in to a 12 day cycling expedition in Vietnam/cambodia next month: 500k in 12 days. On the face of it, not too challenging as it is not too undulating but certainly needs some training.

I have been out half a dozen or so times, cycling 40-50 miles in 3.5-4.5 hours, but would like to do more outside. Trouble is I suffer from cold hands; doesn't matter how good the quality of the gloves, how many layers, I just get cold hands below about 10 deg C. I am a keen walker too, so know of this problem from the past (it's like Raynaud's syndrome apparently). This is simply not the time of year for me to do a lot of long road rides.

So I have resorted to spin classes and exercise bike in the gym, aiming on the latter to do about 60k in two hours on hilly or random setting. Question is whether this is as 'good' as road cycling (ignoring the obvious differences such as lack of road sense and conditions) for fitness. It has the advantage of replicationg more the temperatures that will be cycling in but is it as good for endurance training?

Any other tips welcome.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Never posted on this thread before as only been casual commuter cyclist until talked in to a 12 day cycling expedition in Vietnam/cambodia next month: 500k in 12 days. On the face of it, not too challenging as it is not too undulating but certainly needs some training.

I have been out half a dozen or so times, cycling 40-50 miles in 3.5-4.5 hours, but would like to do more outside. Trouble is I suffer from cold hands; doesn't matter how good the quality of the gloves, how many layers, I just get cold hands below about 10 deg C. I am a keen walker too, so know of this problem from the past (it's like Raynaud's syndrome apparently). This is simply not the time of year for me to do a lot of long road rides.

So I have resorted to spin classes and exercise bike in the gym, aiming on the latter to do about 60k in two hours on hilly or random setting. Question is whether this is as 'good' as road cycling (ignoring the obvious differences such as lack of road sense and conditions) for fitness. It has the advantage of replicationg more the temperatures that will be cycling in but is it as good for endurance training?

Any other tips welcome.

Hamilton might be able to help re cold hands, I'm pretty sure he was wearing full fingered gloves in September :eek:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This bloke's a bit useful!

Useful, yeah, but I reckon Peter Sagan could give him a run for his money...once they've both got 200km in their legs that is :wink:

Not long to go now until The Aussies kick the season off. Their Nationals start on Thursday then it's only a couple of weeks before the Tour Down Under. I'm getting excited already just anticipating the startlists.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I think it all helps but using a gym bike generally means you won't have the same position as you would on the road bike, most have a much more relaxed upright sitting position. The saddles are usually much more cushioned too! You also need to try and ensure the saddle height is set correctly every time you get on the bike (hint: 95% people will set their saddle too low).

To get round these issues you could use your road bike on a turbo trainer or rollers.

Another factor is boredom, it'll be a tough mental challenge to last 2 hours on a gym bike!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I think it all helps but using a gym bike generally means you won't have the same position as you would on the road bike, most have a much more relaxed upright sitting position. The saddles are usually much more cushioned too! You also need to try and ensure the saddle height is set correctly every time you get on the bike (hint: 95% people will set their saddle too low).

To get round these issues you could use your road bike on a turbo trainer or rollers.

Another factor is boredom, it'll be a tough mental challenge to last 2 hours on a gym bike!

Thanks - have a few things on iPlayer to watch to relieve boredom. Take your point about position - will look ar.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Useful, yeah, but I reckon Peter Sagan could give him a run for his money...once they've both got 200km in their legs that is :wink:

Not long to go now until The Aussies kick the season off. Their Nationals start on Thursday then it's only a couple of weeks before the Tour Down Under. I'm getting excited already just anticipating the startlists.

How long before he does a 'with Danny Mac' vid?

Countdown to TDU ticking away nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here