Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Evening all.hope ur all chippa! Just been out for a ride just started using strava. Problem is that it won't sync; it's trying but not. Is this common? Will it sort itself out? Or have I lost this ride? Cheers.

Well one thing's for sure, according to Pogue Mahone...if it's not on Strava then you didn't do the ride :lol:

What did you use to record the ride, and what you using to upload it? Phone with Strava app or some other app, Garmin computer thingy, or some other device?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Evening all.hope ur all chippa! Just been out for a ride just started using strava. Problem is that it won't sync; it's trying but not. Is this common? Will it sort itself out? Or have I lost this ride? Cheers.

You won't have lost it unless you deleted it from your device?

Strava has been a bit schizo lately for me. Sometimes it uploads automatically, sometimes not. It always gets sorted though.

Well one thing's for sure, according to Pogue Mahone...if it's not on Strava then you didn't do the ride :lol:

What did you use to record the ride, and what you using to upload it? Phone with Strava app or some other app, Garmin computer thingy, or some other device?

Haha I thought so!! I'm using the phone app on my s5.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haha I thought so!! I'm using the phone app on my s5.
I don't know if your phone can talk to Strava through garminconnect, but if it can that's widget makes the whole process run super smooth.
Although it would make sense if it was just for Garmin base units.

Afternoon geeks.

I got on the bike for the first time in 2015 this morning (and indeed the first time in about 8 weeks, a break which I am blaming, not completely fairly, on the new mini-sten at home). Have set myself a target of 2400 miles for the year (managed just shy of 2000 in 2014, building on 1600 in 2013 my first year of proper riding). I've also entered the Tour of Cambridgeshire in June and am in the ballot for Ride London/Surrey. With that on my plate, plus a few workmates keen on summer evening rides I think an average of 200 miles a month should be very feasible.

Unfortunately, at this time of year it's still rather dark in both directions on my commute, and I'm re-evaluating my lighting situation. I currently have a Cateye Nano Shot as my front light, and it's just about sufficient. I'd rather something better, or perhaps an additional light. I've previously owned a Lezyne Power Drive, but I had to send it back because it was, to be frank, shoddily put together, which has somewhat put me off. I can probably muster a budget of up to £100, any sagely advice? I've seen the Tumble & Fall 2000, which looks like it would be decent as a helmet light, but I think it's a mountain bike light, which I assume to mean it has a wider beam but less distance than a road-focussed light, and may not be suitable for my purposes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Afternoon geeks.

I got on the bike for the first time in 2015 this morning (and indeed the first time in about 8 weeks, a break which I am blaming, not completely fairly, on the new mini-sten at home). Have set myself a target of 2400 miles for the year (managed just shy of 2000 in 2014, building on 1600 in 2013 my first year of proper riding). I've also entered the Tour of Cambridgeshire in June and am in the ballot for Ride London/Surrey. With that on my plate, plus a few workmates keen on summer evening rides I think an average of 200 miles a month should be very feasible.

Unfortunately, at this time of year it's still rather dark in both directions on my commute, and I'm re-evaluating my lighting situation. I currently have a Cateye Nano Shot as my front light, and it's just about sufficient. I'd rather something better, or perhaps an additional light. I've previously owned a Lezyne Power Drive, but I had to send it back because it was, to be frank, shoddily put together, which has somewhat put me off. I can probably muster a budget of up to £100, any sagely advice? I've seen the Tumble & Fall 2000, which looks like it would be decent as a helmet light, but I think it's a mountain bike light, which I assume to mean it has a wider beam but less distance than a road-focussed light, and may not be suitable for my purposes.

I also have the Cateye nano shot and it's a nice light in every respect. I wanted USB charging, good enough for being seen in traffic but also enough to see by on the occassional unlit country lane. However, since I've now started riding more unlit country roads and at a quicker pace, and for longer, I knew I needed something brighter and with more battery time. I boiled it down to two options.

1) One of those £20 cree jobbies from ebay. I know other people that have them, they are amazingly bright!!! Absolutely fantastic if you don't mind strapping the small battery pack to your frame and possibly having to wrap it in a bag to protect against rain. If you're happy with all of that then you definitely won't get brighter for money spent.

2) Another USB chargeable Cateye. This is what I ended up going for as it meant having brackets on four different bikes (mine and the kids') and being able to swap all of our front lights between any bike at any time just by slotting them on. During that 'Black Friday' weekend I managed to bag a Volt 700 for about £55 (last one left in stock) and a Volt 300 for £28. The Volt 300 isn't really a step up on the Nano Shot to honest, but the 700 is superb! 800 lumens on a slow pulse flash that has you seen and let's you see at the same time is perfect with 7 hours run time. Full beam is said to last 2-3 hours and it really does light up a pitch black lane a treat, with a beam pattern that lets you see the road ahead a treat without blinding oncoming traffic. I've not seen it priced much below £80 since, but if you're prepared to spend that then I promise it won't disappoint.

Good luck.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, Aussie ITT on Thursday. Some pretty impressive talent in there to be honest. Parcours preview here: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/01/road-nationals-time-trial-preview-with-jack-haig-and-peta-mullens/

Rohan Dennis rightly favourite I think, but little value @8/15 with other good condtenders there. I'm almost tempted by an e/w punt on youngster Campbell Flakemore @25/1, given the parcours, but it could be a really big ask in his first step up to Elite level to get on the podium here.

Any tips anyone? Tyrone?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I also have the Cateye nano shot and it's a nice light in every respect. I wanted USB charging, good enough for being seen in traffic but also enough to see by on the occassional unlit country lane. However, since I've now started riding more unlit country roads and at a quicker pace, and for longer, I knew I needed something brighter and with more battery time. I boiled it down to two options.

1) One of those £20 cree jobbies from ebay. I know other people that have them, they are amazingly bright!!! Absolutely fantastic if you don't mind strapping the small battery pack to your frame and possibly having to wrap it in a bag to protect against rain. If you're happy with all of that then you definitely won't get brighter for money spent.

2) Another USB chargeable Cateye. This is what I ended up going for as it meant having brackets on four different bikes (mine and the kids') and being able to swap all of our front lights between any bike at any time just by slotting them on. During that 'Black Friday' weekend I managed to bag a Volt 700 for about £55 (last one left in stock) and a Volt 300 for £28. The Volt 300 isn't really a step up on the Nano Shot to honest, but the 700 is superb! 800 lumens on a slow pulse flash that has you seen and let's you see at the same time is perfect with 7 hours run time. Full beam is said to last 2-3 hours and it really does light up a pitch black lane a treat, with a beam pattern that lets you see the road ahead a treat without blinding oncoming traffic. I've not seen it priced much below £80 since, but if you're prepared to spend that then I promise it won't disappoint.

Good luck.

Thanks for this. I see that the Volt 700 also came out top in the BikeRadar recommendations. £55 was a great bargain, well played, as you say it seems to be minimum £80 now. My commute includes c10 miles of unlit cycle paths and country roads so a decent light really is essential. I think I'll probably pick up a 700 wherever I can find it cheapest!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Phew!, glad I kept my powder dry for the Aussie Nationals ITT. Any bets I'd considered wouldn't have paid off at all. I'm quite surprised by the results.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
So, will this replace the Team Sky jersey as the cycling equivalent of wearing a Manchester United shirt?

Team-Wiggins-jersey-630x419.png

I quite like it...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
[MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]

Going back to my post at the weekend - the successor to my bike, the B'Twin Triban 500SE has come second in the road.cc 'bike of the year'. It is currently available at £330.

road.cc Bike of the Year 2014/15

[MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]

Going back to my post at the weekend - the successor to my bike, the B'Twin Triban 500SE has come second in the road.cc 'bike of the year'. It is currently available at £330.

road.cc Bike of the Year 2014/15

...and the Synapse Ultegra Disc that I'm continuing to lust over came 1st. Now I just need to find two-and-a-half grand down the back of the sofa...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here