Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks like you posted as I edited.
They certainly seem to do some nice kit reasonably priced.
As and when I'm sure I'll break my prendas addiction and buy from them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right, comments on this please.

I've been offered a 'used' Giant Defy. Not sure yet if it is a 4 or a 5. It has not done a full mile on the road. Pretty sure it is my size. £320. Said to have a carbon front fork. Basically similar in many ways to my synae, but is not a triple. While it is a bargain way to get a second bike, I'm not sold on it. I had thought my next bike would be a better synae; reviews are always good and I'm well happy with the 'fit'. If I buy the bike, my stash is gone too, so no new stuff for ages.

As you're coming from a triple, any idea what gears this Giant has? Is it a compact or a standard, and is the back set up for the flat, e.g 11-25, or more climbing friendly like a 12- 28 or easier?

Best thing is to get her out on say a 10 mile punchy test ride so you can access climbing ability and some indicator of comfort. If you find it ticking all the boxes but just lacking a gear or two on steep climbs then you can always fairly cheaply swap out the rear cassette for something easier.

My jerseys are santini. Fine by me. Mind you, I fingered a Castelli T in Evans at the weekend as I walked by it and the feel was lovely.

Is there that much difference between a WP jacket and a WP jersey?

More the fitting; my jacket is a loose fit as aposed to the opposite. Been using map my ride for 6 months but moving over to strava from tomorrow. ..v.excited! !

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
What is a granny ring? I'm assuming its either the small third ring on what you call a triple or a larger oversized ring on the back cassette? I actually sound as if I know what I'm talking about. :blush: I could of done with one on Sunday as I was nearly pulling wheelies up one of the climbs.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What is a granny ring? I'm assuming its either the small third ring on what you call a triple or a larger oversized ring on the back cassette? I actually sound as if I know what I'm talking about. :blush: I could of done with one on Sunday as I was nearly pulling wheelies up one of the climbs.

Granny ring is little third of the triple. Granny gear is when you use the largest gear with it. I am quite familiar with my granny gear. :down:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Granny ring is little third of the triple. Granny gear is when you use the largest gear with it. I am quite familiar with my granny gear. :down:

Ah! I haven't got one of those. If I had I'm sure I'd be using it all the time too. My mate once had a oversize ring on the back cassette, I thought it was that. :thumbsup:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I've been offered a set of Miche SWR Full Carbon wheels, they are a warranty replacement wheel that the customer didn't want back. Just had the hubs rebuilt, new spokes and nipples. I've still got the original WARP/R105 wheels on my Wilier. Do I, don't I? They are black and red so will suit my bike very well.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've been offered a set of Miche SWR Full Carbon wheels, they are a warranty replacement wheel that the customer didn't want back. Just had the hubs rebuilt, new spokes and nipples. I've still got the original WARP/R105 wheels on my Wilier. Do I, don't I? They are black and red so will suit my bike very well.

I'll have 'em!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well. I'm not getting that Giant. Done a bit of sale shopping. Got that blue Altura Jersey and ordered some new winter cruiser strides, so I can now ride both days at the weekend when cold. That is more important to me. Mrs M seems 'happier' with me upgrading, not adding, so the stash lives on.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A friend has decided to upgrade to carbon, and has sent me a link - which has less than half an hour to go.

Is this a good deal? Looks it to me, but I usually miss something.

Shall I tell him that the geeks say to go for it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-Gran...1768921818?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a9e98deda

Happy New Year all.

Had a look at the specs and for any reviews and this is about all I can come up with.

It's an Evans put together bike, and they currently have it still available brand new for £1075.00. http://www.evanscycles.com/products...gclid=CIrN3YDi8sICFezHtAodc0IA5g&gclsrc=aw.ds If it's a genuine 100 miles and the bike for him, then at £900 it would seem a bargain, yes.

105 mainly but with Tiagra rear derailleur and Oval crankset. Not sure the Oval wheels and other components set the world alight, and perhaps this is where the compromise has come to meet the price point? Not sure.

I can't find much in the way of reviews, but it seems the geometry is to favour comfort and distance over racing.

If he likes the look of the bike and has his heart set on it, then I think yes, at £900 it could well be a bargain. I'm quite liking the look and colour scheme myself. Ultimately it would come down to him actually riding it to really make the right decision, as always.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Happy New Year all.

Had a look at the specs and for any reviews and this is about all I can come up with.

It's an Evans put together bike, and they currently have it still available brand new for £1075.00. http://www.evanscycles.com/products...gclid=CIrN3YDi8sICFezHtAodc0IA5g&gclsrc=aw.ds If it's a genuine 100 miles and the bike for him, then at £900 it would seem a bargain, yes.

105 mainly but with Tiagra rear derailleur and Oval crankset. Not sure the Oval wheels and other components set the world alight, and perhaps this is where the compromise has come to meet the price point? Not sure.

I can't find much in the way of reviews, but it seems the geometry is to favour comfort and distance over racing.

If he likes the look of the bike and has his heart set on it, then I think yes, at £900 it could well be a bargain. I'm quite liking the look and colour scheme myself. Ultimately it would come down to him actually riding it to really make the right decision, as always.

Thanks mate - have cut and pasted what you wrote and sent it to him.

He has three minutes - will he be brave? I shall report back.

In the meantime, he is also checking out Planet X...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks mate - have cut and pasted what you wrote and sent it to him.

He has three minutes - will he be brave? I shall report back.

In the meantime, he is also checking out Planet X...

Very late to it, sorry. Looks like he wasn't brave, but sensible. His name isn't Chris or Tony by any chance? :lol:

Good thing is it didn't sell, which would suggest it wasn't enough of a bargain, although more likely I suspect is that it didn't set enough pulses racing. He now is in the better position of having longer to think about it and if he's still set on it then try to arrange a test ride. If he goes up for a test ride with cash in his pocket, if it rides nice for him then he'd probably get an even better deal.

Spec wise, as you know from what others have said on here, it seems that the Planet X's will take some beating in terms of bang for your buck and bringing smiles.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Very late to it, sorry. Looks like he wasn't brave, but sensible. His name isn't Chris or Tony by any chance? :lol:

Good thing is it didn't sell, which would suggest it wasn't enough of a bargain, although more likely I suspect is that it didn't set enough pulses racing. He now is in the better position of having longer to think about it and if he's still set on it then try to arrange a test ride. If he goes up for a test ride with cash in his pocket, if it rides nice for him then he'd probably get an even better deal.

Spec wise, as you know from what others have said on here, it seems that the Planet X's will take some beating in terms of bang for your buck and bringing smiles.

Yep, that's what I told him. I think he's been given the green light to upgrade and is getting over-excited and trigger happy - perhaps he thinks he'd better get it sorted before she changes her mind!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
But is the seller being a bit of a twit? The sales are on, so you can spend similar money and get more of a warranty. Also, aren't people less flush at this time of year? He'll probably off load it easy in about April. Tell your mate to offer him £750 in used £20s. Its only Essex isn't it? Easy to get to then.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But is the seller being a bit of a twit? The sales are on, so you can spend similar money and get more of a warranty. Also, aren't people less flush at this time of year? He'll probably off load it easy in about April. Tell your mate to offer him £750 in used £20s. Its only Essex isn't it? Easy to get to then.

He could make a day of it in Essex and test ride this :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/De-Rosa-R...1753005546?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a9da601ea

Hmmm, and there's another one, also in Essex too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/De-Rosa-R...1462501004?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2c940dea8c

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here