Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I popped out for a cheeky 20 after work today.

I went with my mate who recently got the £1000 Planet X cyclocross bike.
I'd already christened it 'The Battle Bus' because it's so big and menacing. I had a go on it and it's a lovely ride.
It's got 35mm tyres which ooze confidence, but it's still pretty light and agile, all things considered.

I couldn't cope with the SRAM gears, the moment I started off my thumbs were completely lost.

Anyhoo if you're after something a bit more 'solid' for these winter months, I'm now 100% a cross bike is the way to go.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Defo too cold to ride this morning. Roads looked dry, but puddles had frozen solid. Went for an ambitious run instead. Garminge fannied about finding a satellite and it was too cold to wait for it. 4km in and my hips reminded me why I'd given running up previously. Lots of walking followed. No way that is going on strava. Later on drove past a bird on a Cannondale, temp had risen to 0.5 and she looked very cautious. :love:

Well I can understand you falling for a bike like that Moto. Perhaps you could take a piccy next time

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That was cold out today, very icy north of the downs.

Only just now worked who you are on our Strava page by going into that discussion thingy. Nice ride today in those conditions - Chapeau! I had to think twice about my piddly little commute even as the roads outside our house were completely white when I left. Main roads were fine though.

I popped out for a cheeky 20 after work today.

I went with my mate who recently got the £1000 Planet X cyclocross bike.
I'd already christened it 'The Battle Bus' because it's so big and menacing. I had a go on it and it's a lovely ride.
It's got 35mm tyres which ooze confidence, but it's still pretty light and agile, all things considered.

I couldn't cope with the SRAM gears, the moment I started off my thumbs were completely lost.

Anyhoo if you're after something a bit more 'solid' for these winter months, I'm now 100% a cross bike is the way to go.

Nice to see you've got your mojo back SB :thumbsup:

Don't forget all that if you're having trouble sleeping tonight then you can always tune in for stage 1 TDU coverage at 1.30am (Sky sports 4 apparently so should get a stream no trouble). I shall be watching highlights wherever I can find them tomorrow eve. Barry Markus might be worth a stab at 40/1, he's usually quite good in these early season races. Probably be the Marcel Kittel show again though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice to see you've got your mojo back SB :thumbsup:
That'll be the rejuvenating effects of a 40 minute ride through a torrential downpour.
Weirdly enjoyable once you've realised you're not going to die!

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Hi All,

Just a quick message to ask you if you could all like and share this page for me.

In short Preston Park, our local track, - the oldest in the country and second oldest in the world - is, as it stands, going to fall into disrepute as it has failed the new standards introduced by British Cycling following the fatality in Portsmouth in 2013 (I think it was 2013 anyway). It can therefore not be used for racing or training as the insurance and all that complicated stuff is not valid, it is simply too dangerous. The issue here being that the Sussex track league is most likely going to be cancelled this year and could be henceforth if funding for resurfacing the track et al is not secured. Ironically the Green council are seemingly refusing to take any responsibility over this issue. The track is open to the public for all but about 6 hours or so a week and if no funding is secured then as I have alluded to it will most likely fall into disrepute and not even the public will be able to use it and it could turn into an abandoned brownfield site at the top of a park where teenagers just go to drink and take drugs.

I have attached a draft of my clubs email to the council for you to read if you so wish.

PLEASE CAN YOU LIKE AND SHARE
(for the good of all cyclists and non-cyclists alike)

Regards,

Josh

https://www.facebook.com/saveprestonparkcycletrack…

View attachment Sport 1st-PPYCC.pdf

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hi All,

Just a quick message to ask you if you could all like and share this page for me.

In short Preston Park, our local track, - the oldest in the country and second oldest in the world - is, as it stands, going to fall into disrepute as it has failed the new standards introduced by British Cycling following the fatality in Portsmouth in 2013 (I think it was 2013 anyway). It can therefore not be used for racing or training as the insurance and all that complicated stuff is not valid, it is simply too dangerous. The issue here being that the Sussex track league is most likely going to be cancelled this year and could be henceforth if funding for resurfacing the track et al is not secured. Ironically the Green council are seemingly refusing to take any responsibility over this issue. The track is open to the public for all but about 6 hours or so a week and if no funding is secured then as I have alluded to it will most likely fall into disrepute and not even the public will be able to use it and it could turn into an abandoned brownfield site at the top of a park where teenagers just go to drink and take drugs.

I have attached a draft of my clubs email to the council for you to read if you so wish.

Regards,

Josh

View attachment 62001

How much needs to be raised Josh?

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
How much needs to be raised Josh?

I honestly don't know the exact amount a considerable amount as quite a significant amount of work needs to be done and British Cycling have offered up a considerable amount sum.

Sorry I can't be of much use when it comes to the exact detail of price :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got a few bits off Planet X today, good sale on ATM.
Thanks Banjo, that's a quick £20 spent.

Jnr came within a knats of getting his first pair of road shoes.
Better luck next time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hi All,

Regards,

Josh

View attachment 62001

Link comes up as page not found, for me. I'm not on Facebook either, but I liked it on my girlfriends behalf when I just had a look. Probably worth posting this on the main board as well, we are our own little clique in here but I am sure plenty of others would get on board with this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
First day of proper racing overnight, the convicts national champs surely does not count, does it?

Cav gets beaten by Fernando Gaviria in Argentina (who). This kid has really come out of nowhere, his Pro Cycling stats page has him listed for one race ever, yesterdays, which he won, he should just retire now with a 100% record. There are some 'highlights' out there on youtube but they look like they were filmed with two motionless potatoes at different points of the final km. Looked like Cav just got beaten by the quicker man to me though, which does not auger well.

The Tour de Adelaide (TdU) was pretty exciting though, Kittel showing his usual lack of climbing prowess, then a will they, won't they, breakaway just making it. Phil and Paul are back blowing smoke up Robbie McEwan's arse for two hours a day if anyone fancies staying up, though the highlights are as live on Sky at more sensible hours.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Got a few bits off Planet X today, good sale on ATM.

Them shoes were a right bargain. Nearly went for a pair of new lights but no bracket for the rear one. Stuff that.

My shades are safety shades. Got them on the basis if they are robust enough for building sites, they should fare well against the odd airborne stone.

Who's gonna be first out in shorts this year then?

Oh. More insane average speeds from you know who again today.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Link comes up as page not found, for me. I'm not on Facebook either, but I liked it on my girlfriends behalf when I just had a look. Probably worth posting this on the main board as well, we are our own little clique in here but I am sure plenty of others would get on board with this.

Was considering it, thank you. I will also try and get the link sorted out.

Regards

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hi All,

Regards,

Josh

View attachment 62001

Hi Josh.

It might be worth contact @_PaulHayward via twitter. I dropped him a tweet last night about this and he was unaware. As Chief Sports Writer at at the Telegraph, and Brighton resident, you never know, he may be interested in a story.

The explosion of cycling and the oldest track in Britain falls into disrepair - there is a story there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here