Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's one of the Giant Defy series, yes I have bought shoes & cleats (that's going to be an experience to get used to), and I already have the glasses & helmet from previous bike rides :thumbsup:

I have two friends who swear by Giant Defy bikes. I cycle with them a lot, and they're great bikes. God, you're gonna have some fun!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will this be the first Geek Giant?

I've got a sneaky feeling somebody had one once, but I have no idea why I would think that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, I looked at various options, and the Giant seemed to have very good reviews at the price point I was looking at. No doubt if I get hooked, it won't be long before I'm casting an eye enviously up at more expensive models :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, I looked at various options, and the Giant seemed to have very good reviews at the price point I was looking at. No doubt if I get hooked, it won't be long before I'm casting an eye enviously up at more expensive models :)
At which point your Giant becomes your winter hack while your newbie is your summer best.

If your still cycling in March '15, you'll be doing some pretty expensive shopping.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The bike is here! I was so excited I took it straight out for a ten mile loosener, just to check it all works.

So:

-my first road bike purchased
-my first ride
-my first soaking (it rained half way round)
-my first pedestrian sworn at, for stepping out off the pavement into my path without looking.

Does that make me truly a member of the club? :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh, it's a Defy 4, just an entry level one obviously, but I love it, & it seemed to get some of the best reviews for that level, hence I went with it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The bike is here! I was so excited I took it straight out for a ten mile loosener, just to check it all works.

So:

-my first ride
-my first pedestrian sworn at, for stepping out off the pavement into my path without looking.

Almost - you've got to fall off at a junction whilst trying to get your foot out of the clipless pedals. That is truly a rite of passage!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh I know that will happen. I haven't fitted them yet, thought I should take it for a spin and get used to the ride first. I plan to fit them tomorrow (& spend ages putting my feet in and taking them out!) before heading out. Loose setting for now, I think :thumbsup:

I was driving along at work the other day, on the Saddlescombe Road near Devil's Dyke. I'd slowed right down as I'd seen a cyclist up ahead, approaching a hill brow with solid white lines down the middle (I didn't want to roar past too close or have to veer out over the lines).

As I got to just behind him, I saw him wobble, come almost to a stop, and then keel over sideways into the verge, feet stuck in the pedals :lol:

I did stop to check he was OK, and he somewhat sheepishly said that his gears had got stuck. I shouldn't laugh as I know it will happen to me at some point, but it was a genuine comedy fall (captured perfectly for posterity on the car video system too :lolol:).

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

So:

-my first ride

Have you downloaded this ride onto Strava? If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Who, me sir? No sir!

I have just moved with the times, and it would appear that I never cycled LEJOG (not on Strava) or any sportives prior to 2012. I was also never a cycle courier in London in the eighties, and have not commuted on my bike until recently. I can't have - it's not on Strava.

And you, IL, you never rode competitively either. :wink:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Who, me sir? No sir!

I have just moved with the times, and it would appear that I never cycled LEJOG (not on Strava) or any sportives prior to 2012. I was also never a cycle courier in London in the eighties, and have not commuted on my bike until recently. I can't have - it's not on Strava.

And you, IL, you never rode competitively either. :wink:

Only kidding pogue!

Strava is a bit like the premier league - some kids think there was no cycling/football prior to these!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Only kidding pogue!

Strava is a bit like the premier league - some kids think there was no cycling/football prior to these!

I know, I know...

It's a bit of a mantra with my mates - "If it ain't on Strava..."

I was a bit of a jcl to Strava, but it's a bit like mobile phones - I don't know how I ever managed without it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
but it's a bit like mobile phones - I don't know how I ever managed without it!
Depressingly I think that's also going to apply to electronic gear shifting.

I can just sense it.
I'll hang on to my luddite ways for as long as possible.
Finally in x amount of years time I'll crack and my first thought will be:-

'wow should have done this years ago'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here