Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Talking of cycling encounters with wildlife I nearly got taken out by a Hare that bolted out of a crop field right in front of me and somehow did not get lodged in my front wheel which would have been messy for both of us.

I'm afraid none of you can beat the free roaming new forest ponies/donkeys/cattle that my commute deals with!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm afraid none of you can beat the free roaming new forest ponies/donkeys/cattle that my commute deals with!

OK, I give in.....there's no comparison between a Hare and a Pony or Cow - it's jungle out there!

Homo Sapiens is right up there too...especially dopey pedestrians who just step off the pavement without looking or worse still put them behind the steering wheel of a vehicle.......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've just got one thing left to tick off in the Family Stat New Forest Spotters Guide.
Ponies, donkeys, deer, cows and snakes all accounted for.

Just a Polar Bear left, and the guide is complete.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
OK, I give in.....there's no comparison between a Hare and a Pony or Cow - it's jungle out there!

Homo Sapiens is right up there too...especially dopey pedestrians who just step off the pavement without looking or worse still put them behind the steering wheel of a vehicle.......

To be fair, the horses are very chilled and pretty predictable, only foal time that can be hairy.

You're right, it's the humans that are the danger!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Definitely a leftie clipperer.

Highlight of today's ride would have to be the blackbird who decided to fly 10 foot in front of my left shoulder.
He was there so long I even had time to look over my right shoulder to see if Dave Attenborough was there with a film crew.

It's happened before but never for so long as to properly study it.
Marvellous scenes.

Nice.

I had a similar thing last year with two owls gliding through woods just before chailey common. It lasted for a good minute before I had to stop at one of the cattle grids as I can't ride them!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I did have a close encounter with a squirrel yesterday which is my narrowest wildlife escape to date (from two rides :lol:). I was riding along a tree lined road (Underhill Lane) and due to the light and shade pattern on the road, I didn't spot the squirrel until the last second when it made a dash for freedom just in front of my wheel.

The pedal thing, well until someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to be a left-foot unclipper. Firstly because, when I pull away, it's more natural to use my right leg to push down on, as I'm right handed/footed, therefore that's where the power is, and I run less risk of a slow and thus hazardous getaway on roundabouts etc. And secondly, because if I fall sideways as a result of an unclipping mishap, I would prefer it to be on to the grass verge than under the wheels of a passing HGV. Unfortunately, my occupation means I have many encounters with cyclists who've come off second best in contests with motorised vehicles, therefore I suppose caution is inevitable (not that this precludes me in any way from expressing my feelings to inconsiderate motorists when they pass too close or fail to yield to my two wheels etc) :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That's ace that is.

[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] is gonna like this...

I rode to work today. Had a really strange 'mechanical'. I was going up a little slope when I got spat out of the saddle. I got launched over the front wheel but somehow managed to stay upright and land on 2 feet legs akimbo with a lot of clanging going on. Initially, I thought one foot was not clipped in properly after stopping at lights at the top of a hill beforehand. So violent was it that it knocked my back wheel out. Mashed my cleats on impact.

Beat the traffic in, joined it out and could not believe how many cars I passed.

:lolol:

You what, now? You basically leap-frogged out of your seat, and your back wheel came out?

Keep commuting, Moto!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
:lolol:

You what, now? You basically leap-frogged out of your seat, and your back wheel came out?

Keep commuting, Moto!

Yes.

I'll keep riding on Fridays for the time being. (I.e. not raining). I really enjoyed it. Didn't really think it was viable.

Nice to see I'm not the rookie now. I reckon [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] is gonna put some impressive rides up very soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just about to embark on another therapeutic night.

A few months ago, I striped down my headset.
Cleaned everything.
Re-greased everything.
Then put it all together.

The steering was so smooth, it was frightening how bad it had become.

But it's gone 'off' rather quickly and is sounding rough again.

So here we go again, this time with new bearings and a new tube lithium grease.

This can get quite zen - wish me luck.

Saturday nights ROCK

punk: :rave: :rock:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I could kick myself :facepalm:

Called Bob Jungels for a top ten (on another forum) for today's Dauphine ITT and so far he's bossing it!

Was 40/1 too but I held fire :( Still the big boys to go though so he may not hang on for top 3 anyway.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
3rd in the end for young Bob.

Going to be a great pre TdF show and tell battle between Bert, Nibs and Froome it seems :) They weren't holding back today.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I see the big nobs turned it on in the end in Lyon.

I'm gonna follow [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]'s lead and ride 2 days on the bounce later this week. It'll allow me a late night and a couple of lagers watching us play Italy.

Put myself through a new training ride this morning. Was a bit boring but I'm not fit enough and cleat confident enough to revisit my L2B training ride. That had a couple of steep hills and after my 25% and ejector seat episodes, I'll need to be much leaner and fitter to attempt them. Had a couple of gulps this morning as I slowed near the top of some hills and wished I wasn't clipped in, but legs and lungs saw me up.

A funking lovely morning. Would rather have gone elsewhere but I'm on a bit of mission. Loads of riders out including a couple of coffin dodgers; a little glimpse into my future right there.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I'm gonna follow [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]'s lead and ride 2 days on the bounce later this week. It'll allow me a late night and a couple of lagers watching us play Italy.

Put myself through a new training ride this morning. Was a bit boring but I'm not fit enough and cleat confident enough to revisit my L2B training ride. That had a couple of steep hills and after my 25% and ejector seat episodes, I'll need to be much leaner and fitter to attempt them. Had a couple of gulps this morning as I slowed near the top of some hills and wished I wasn't clipped in, but legs and lungs saw me up.

A funking lovely morning. Would rather have gone elsewhere but I'm on a bit of mission. Loads of riders out including a couple of coffin dodgers; a little glimpse into my future right there.

They'll be dodging coffins for a long time if they keep up the cycling - it prolongs your life you know!
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I were recently near the end of a 50 or 60 miler when we got overtaken up the hill into Rottingdean from Saltdean. The guy turned to us and shouted "And I'm 60!"

:down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

One thing I'm doing now that I haven't in the past, is mixing my rides up.

Instead of just riding as far as I can in the time available, introducing my 10 mile (flatish) TT and 16 mile hill climb, seems to get me out more.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
They'll be dodging coffins for a long time if they keep up the cycling - it prolongs your life you know!

[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I were recently near the end of a 50 or 60 miler when we got overtaken up the hill into Rottingdean from Saltdean. The guy turned to us and shouted "And I'm 60!"

:down:

But that's gives us hope and inspiration doesn't it?

Yes [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], mixing up is good. Need to think about next's week ride now.

Oh I had a fun moment this morning. The higher part of my circuit is still crunchy and settling from being relaid so I poodled along there. I also didn't push it generally anywhere else as it was all about the uphills today. However, some mountain biker passed me on a little downhill and pulled away. Not far away was a little steep uphill where I have been brow-sprinting (as requested by SB) of late. As I came round the bend, there was MTBer about 75% up it, but obviously in too high a gear. I went for it and smoked him in no time. Naughty me recalled a certain quote in Roy Keane's autobiography (when he took out AIH).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But that's gives us hope and inspiration doesn't it?

Yes [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], mixing up is good. Need to think about next's week ride now.

Oh I had a fun moment this morning. The higher part of my circuit is still crunchy and settling from being relaid so I poodled along there. I also didn't push it generally anywhere else as it was all about the uphills today. However, some mountain biker passed me on a little downhill and pulled away. Not far away was a little steep uphill where I have been brow-sprinting (as requested by SB) of late. As I came round the bend, there was MTBer about 75% up it, but obviously in too high a gear. I went for it and smoked him in no time. Naughty me recalled a certain quote in Roy Keane's autobiography (when he took out AIH).
That has to be done.

My Thursday night ride was tougher than I'd hoped.
On the penultimate climb a proper newbie was labouring away, 3/4ers of the way up.
My mate is off like a scalded cat, dragging me with him.
We pass the kiddie on the brow, only to see our LBS owner coming the other way.

Now I have to offer an encouraging word, call hello across the road, all the while thinking I'm going to be sick from the effort.

The climb to Whiteways, my local, has 4 ascents.
All being well, tomorrow, I'm going for the toughest.
It won't be pretty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here