Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm videoing today as have spent much of the day at QE2 country park, south of Petersfield. (better than North of Portsmouth).

Anyhoo that has involved being surrounded by 'lesser' cyclists :spit:

What a bunch of pretentious knobs, they seem to spend most of their time standing around pointing.

That's all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolute classic! Poels snatches a spectators sunglasses clean off his face then launches them :lolol:
Classic moment.
The fella didn't know whether to have a moan or chase his shades.

Idiot fan buggers up Bongiorno...
What a tool.
What an easily visible tool.

I was loving all the stupidity up the climb.
Mankini fella while Kelly wet himself laughing was a highlight, as was the bride.

But when World Champ tool does something like that, it craps over the lot.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Classic moment.
The fella didn't know whether to have a moan or chase his shades.

What a tool.
What an easily visible tool.

I was loving all the stupidity up the climb.
Mankini fella while Kelly wet himself laughing was a highlight, as was the bride.

But when World Champ tool does something like that, it craps over the lot.

He was the best mankini bloke ever. Utterly unsuited to such attire, even by the standards of the mankini.

And yes, the bride was great!

But the World Champ jersey fella, what a cock. And he even had the balls to run up and down the mountain with the riders that followed. I would have reccomended a darkened room and a pistol.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was the best mankini bloke ever. Utterly unsuited to such attire, even by the standards of the mankini.

And yes, the bride was great!

But the World Champ jersey fella, what a cock. And he even had the balls to run up and down the mountain with the riders that followed. I would have reccomended a darkened room and a pistol.
I wonder if the more guttered Italian press will view it at 'one of those things' or put up wanted posters.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
On nights so slept through that stage - will have to watch later.

Meanwhile, this is reasonably quick -

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...new-british-10-mile-time-trial-record-124928

35mph average pretty much. Just show those flat track bullies how good the pros actually are (no offence Glanders!)

None taken! I'd happily give my left testicle for a 19, and I'd still have finished over two and a half minutes down on him! Apparently that was pretty much his winning margin over second place in a decent field. I think he may just have taken Wiggo's mantle as top UK tester, not that I imagine Bradley is too worried. Would love to see what he'd do to the 25 record - long 43?

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
I think it was in last years Giro that I was 2nd placed non-premium, when the playing field was skewed massively in favour of the premium players as they could carry unlimited transfers over whilst we could only carry over 2. So effectively there was two separate competitions going on. They changed that rule this season to give everyone a fair chance, whilst claiming it wasn't actually unfair in the first place, just that too many people were moaning :lol:

I think that Giro was my best GT, but I also had a 4th place overall (in the season before they skewed the playing field) I think in either Oman or Qatar, but not sure which one now. Closed my account a while back so no way of checking back to be certain.

Anyway, aren't you content with smashing everyone on here on a bike for real without taking away the small crumbs of glory from us armchair fantasy geeks too?

:jester:

Chapeau! :clap2: 7th place nationally on a game that must be getting more players year on year is very good going. Hope you can hold onto it or even improve come Trieste on Sunday. I take it that's the daily transfer game and not the Purist version?

Thanks 1066, although as predicted, I have peaked to early and am now don to a lowly 13th. Knew I should have kept my mouth shut.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
None taken! I'd happily give my left testicle for a 19, and I'd still have finished over two and a half minutes down on him! Apparently that was pretty much his winning margin over second place in a decent field. I think he may just have taken Wiggo's mantle as top UK tester, not that I imagine Bradley is too worried. Would love to see what he'd do to the 25 record - long 43?

I had a look and I've actually ridden that course in the student champs years ago. I hadn't ridden my bike much at all during my first year at uni and still did a long 20. You should get up there Glanders!

Be interesting if dowsett can make the breakthrough and follow up his giro win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Question time for IL and Glanders.

I see that TT you're talking about where Dowsett set the record was on a dual carriageway. Presumably in traffic? I notice the course is up an A road, off the slip road and round the roundabout and back down the other side. Presumably no marshals stopping traffic on that roundabout?

So how does it work if you get held up at the roundabout for instance?

I notice our local TT's seem to take in traffic and roundabouts and a very local one starts up the top of Rye rd and must take in numerous traffic lights, junctions and all sorts.

How does all this work? I can't imagine an athletics meet where you have to take your chances in a track race if you're going to be held up or not by waiting for a field event competitor to cross the track in front of you while you wait :lol:

Can you both help me out here please?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Question time for IL and Glanders.

I see that TT you're talking about where Dowsett set the record was on a dual carriageway. Presumably in traffic? I notice the course is up an A road, off the slip road and round the roundabout and back down the other side. Presumably no marshals stopping traffic on that roundabout?

So how does it work if you get held up at the roundabout for instance?

I notice our local TT's seem to take in traffic and roundabouts and a very local one starts up the top of Rye rd and must take in numerous traffic lights, junctions and all sorts.

How does all this work? I can't imagine an athletics meet where you have to take your chances in a track race if you're going to be held up or not by waiting for a field event competitor to cross the track in front of you while you wait :lol:

Can you both help me out here please?

It is nearly 15 years since I have done one, but there were marshalls (a job I have done myself) who stop traffic. Obviously it is optional for the traffic to stop but people are pretty deferent to a Hi viz jacket!

Interestingly the dual carriageway is very helpful as the passing lorries add a fair bit of a helping hand!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It is nearly 15 years since I have done one, but there were marshalls (a job I have done myself) who stop traffic. Obviously it is optional for the traffic to stop but people are pretty deferent to a Hi viz jacket!

Interestingly the dual carriageway is very helpful as the passing lorries add a fair bit of a helping hand!

Thanks IL. It's right what you say about hi viz jackets - don one of those things on and it's like a magic potion where it seems anybody will do just as you tell them to do. Print -SECURITY, STEWARD OR MARSHALL on the back and the world's your oyster :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For those that might not have seen it, or just for the sheer pleasure of seeing it over and over again....

Love the sheer theatrical contempt with which Poels tosses them away. Not to mention the pure skill involved in the whole execution of the act and the justice :bowdown:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Sorry for the late response, but as IL says, all UK time trials are held on open roads and it's quite often luck of the draw whether you get through a roundabout cleanly or get held up. Courses shouldn't include any traffic lights though. The marshals are officially there to point you in the right direction and have no powers to stop traffic, but as IL says they'll sometimes try and help you out a bit. And yes, the traffic on a DC can be a big help - I head a rumour that Hutch once requested an earlier start time on a course up at Hull, just so he'd catch the LGVs disembarking from the Zeebrugge ferry! (Whether it's true or not, that last sentence probably says more about UK testing than anything else I could manage!)

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
I had a look and I've actually ridden that course in the student champs years ago. I hadn't ridden my bike much at all during my first year at uni and still did a long 20. You should get up there Glanders!

Be interesting if dowsett can make the breakthrough and follow up his giro win.

I'll try and make it up there at some point IL, although it's a long schlep for a ten! (That said, I went back to Tring for another go at the super fast course there at the start of the month and picked yet another day with 25mph winds...) I'm starting to recognise the value of travelling a bit for decent courses, so have entered a 12hr on the Farnham course where I did the 100 last week and am hoping to do a decent 25 and 50 on the A3 course near Liphook. If I pick another three duff days, then I might just stick to Sussex from then on!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Can't believe the Giro ends today. Loved it.

Knackered after 60 miles this morning. I need more than one clear day before rides.

Its motorised TT week now. Give ITV4 a look at 9pm most nights.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't believe the Giro ends today. Loved it.
Hmmm, I certainly wouldn't say I loved it!!

The whole race boiled down to 1 stage and 1 time trial, basically 5 hours 40 minutes of racing, with no jeopardy in between.
The most surprising aspect of the race is the fact I'm not surprised, I (we) called that 3 weeks ago.

Knackered after 60 miles this morning. I need more than one clear day before rides.
Oh and no you don't, you just need to do it more often.

And yes I fully understand that advise is a little hollow coming from, all or nothing, bi-polar cycling, stat.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'll try and make it up there at some point IL, although it's a long schlep for a ten! (That said, I went back to Tring for another go at the super fast course there at the start of the month and picked yet another day with 25mph winds...) I'm starting to recognise the value of travelling a bit for decent courses, so have entered a 12hr on the Farnham course where I did the 100 last week and am hoping to do a decent 25 and 50 on the A3 course near Liphook. If I pick another three duff days, then I might just stick to Sussex from then on!

A 12hr is just madness.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry for the late response, but as IL says, all UK time trials are held on open roads and it's quite often luck of the draw whether you get through a roundabout cleanly or get held up. Courses shouldn't include any traffic lights though. The marshals are officially there to point you in the right direction and have no powers to stop traffic, but as IL says they'll sometimes try and help you out a bit. And yes, the traffic on a DC can be a big help - I head a rumour that Hutch once requested an earlier start time on a course up at Hull, just so he'd catch the LGVs disembarking from the Zeebrugge ferry! (Whether it's true or not, that last sentence probably says more about UK testing than anything else I could manage!)

Thanks Glanders. Talking of traffic lights - I once saw someone in full BMC kit with a TT bike and helmet go shooting down Old London Road as I was fiddling with my bike on a slip road leading down onto it (Robertsons Hill). I thought it was TJVG for a minute! :lol: Anyway, I remember thinking at the time, he ain't going to be happy when he hits traffic lights every few hundred yards all away along the seafront. I doubt he was on a proper TT race anyway though as it was mid morning on a week day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here