Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know fantasy cycling is all very yesterday's news for the committed geek, but I am very much enjoying my first proper stab at it. What's the best geek grand tour result thus far, cos I've just slunk into 7th place in the Giro?

Although by crowing about it, I've now inevitably put the kibosh on it.

I think it was in last years Giro that I was 2nd placed non-premium, when the playing field was skewed massively in favour of the premium players as they could carry unlimited transfers over whilst we could only carry over 2. So effectively there was two separate competitions going on. They changed that rule this season to give everyone a fair chance, whilst claiming it wasn't actually unfair in the first place, just that too many people were moaning :lol:

I think that Giro was my best GT, but I also had a 4th place overall (in the season before they skewed the playing field) I think in either Oman or Qatar, but not sure which one now. Closed my account a while back so no way of checking back to be certain.

Anyway, aren't you content with smashing everyone on here on a bike for real without taking away the small crumbs of glory from us armchair fantasy geeks too?

:jester:

Chapeau! :clap2: 7th place nationally on a game that must be getting more players year on year is very good going. Hope you can hold onto it or even improve come Trieste on Sunday. I take it that's the daily transfer game and not the Purist version?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I think it was in last years Giro that I was 2nd placed non-premium, when the playing field was skewed massively in favour of the premium players as they could carry unlimited transfers over whilst we could only carry over 2. So effectively there was two separate competitions going on. They changed that rule this season to give everyone a fair chance, whilst claiming it wasn't actually unfair in the first place, just that too many people were moaning :lol:

I think that Giro was my best GT, but I also had a 4th place overall (in the season before they skewed the playing field) I think in either Oman or Qatar, but not sure which one now. Closed my account a while back so no way of checking back to be certain.

Anyway, aren't you content with smashing everyone on here on a bike for real without taking away the small crumbs of glory from us armchair fantasy geeks too?

:jester:

Chapeau! :clap2: 7th place nationally on a game that must be getting more players year on year is very good going. Hope you can hold onto it or even improve come Trieste on Sunday. I take it that's the daily transfer game and not the Purist version?

Getting withdrawal symptoms 1066!?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Getting withdrawal symptoms 1066!?

Not in the slightest to be honest. How about you?

Still loving watching all the racing and enjoying the odd bet. Not even keeping too update with it via the mini's as they rarely mention it either.

Sad thing is, I've achieved so little in life that my little successes in some silly game is easily stored in the memory :blush:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I are doing King of the Downs, one of Evans' sportives, and an absolute beast - I've done it before, two years ago - on Sunday (although Hamilton is threatening to bale out half way round...) Anyone else taking part? [MENTION=5362]manintheblackpajamas[/MENTION] ?

Yes, I'm in with some fellow Etapers. I couldn't really have had a worse week of preparation for this one unfortunately, due to work schedule this week.
Looking forward to it nonetheless, although a glance at last years stats on Strava are bringing back (mixed) memories!

Should be good. Whisper it, but even the weather is looking promising...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rolland animating this race yet again. :clap2:

Too late now probably, but I see Majka has Rogers AND Roche up the road. Could be interesting.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Nearly 8 minutes ahead at the foot of the Zoncolan. Surely the break cannot be caught? Seems like a stupid question, but who can tell on this beast of a climb. Here we go!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nearly 8 minutes ahead at the foot of the Zoncolan. Surely the break cannot be caught? Seems like a stupid question, but who can tell on this beast of a climb. Here we go!

Pellizotti wins this now I expect.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Cadel suffering. Poor fella.

Good shout 1066. Although he has been a bit distanced...

That gap to the main group is tumbling - probably not quickly enough though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Absolute classic! Poels snatches a spectators sunglasses clean off his face then launches them :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That was brilliant! Did you see what the bloke did to make Wout so cross?

Go on Bongiorno!

Nope, he didn't look like one of the idiot brigade to be honest. I'm sure Poels could have chosen at least another hundred over him.

Good to see the riders get one back though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cadel suffering. Poor fella.

Good shout 1066. Although he has been a bit distanced...

That gap to the main group is tumbling - probably not quickly enough though.

Yeah, Pellizotti was such a good shout that even just picking one from three I managed to get last place :facepalm:

Glad I've held off the betting for a bit - I couldn't score in a brothel at the moment!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, Pellizotti was such a good shout that even just picking one from three I managed to get last place :facepalm:

Glad I've held off the betting for a bit - I couldn't score in a brothel at the moment!

2nd! Poor old Bongiorno was utterly destroyed by that cock in the World Champion's jersey.

I HAVE to go to the top of the Zoncolan to watch this stage sometime. Bucket list.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lol: I even managed to get my own put down wrong - Pellizotti overtaking poor Bongiorno for 2nd place.

So all Roche has had to do all this Tour is go for stage wins. Meanwhile Rogers has worked all tour for Majka, yet on his days off from dom duties he bags TWO stage wins, whilst Roche comes away with nothing :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here