1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As computers have been a hot topic recently:-

MODEL NAME: BRYTON 21T Computer

PRICE: OUR PRICE £199.99
SPECIAL OFFER £130.00
Total 34% Saving; £69.99 OFF!

http://www.mailordercycles.com/m2b0s373p2576/BRYTON_21T_Computer_(2013)

This isn't a recommendation, just flagging up the deal.

I still haven't got a Garmin 200 because for under a fiver I got a new battery for my phone and so far I'm getting just under half full battery use on a a ride of just over 3hours, so the phone will probably do for me after all, certainly for the forseeable future anyway.

But I still couldn't resist a look at what this thing had to offer, and I'm intrigued by this description:

"3 customized data screens with various data options, such as distance, calories, speed, altitude, slope and more"

I suppose altitude means the amount of climbing/elevation on the ride, but what do you think 'slope' means exactly? Does it tell you the gradient of the actual road you're on do you think?, or am I missing something obvious again?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I still haven't got a Garmin 200 because for under a fiver I got a new battery for my phone and so far I'm getting just under half full battery use on a a ride of just over 3hours, so the phone will probably do for me after all, certainly for the forseeable future anyway.

But I still couldn't resist a look at what this thing had to offer, and I'm intrigued by this description:

"3 customized data screens with various data options, such as distance, calories, speed, altitude, slope and more"

I suppose altitude means the amount of climbing/elevation on the ride, but what do you think 'slope' means exactly? Does it tell you the gradient of the actual road you're on do you think?, or am I missing something obvious again?

I imagine it's not very accurate, it'll just work it out from change in altitude and horizontal position.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I imagine it's not very accurate, it'll just work it out from change in altitude and horizontal position.

I see, thanks.

Clearly it's the cadence sensor that SB's selling us here anyway, so my question is probably irrelevant to him anyway :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The gradient seems accurate on my Garmin.
It's all GPS and stuff, innit.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The gradient seems accurate on my Garmin.
It's all GPS and stuff, innit.

But don't you actually have to go up a hill in the first place for it to show any kind of gradient? Or are you saying it used to be accurate on your Garmin and probably still is, if you were to put it to the test :p

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dauphiné starts on Sunday.

Froome, Contador and Nibs all there, along with Wiggins & Porte.

Thomas, fresh from his Bayern Rundfart (sp.?) win, along with Henao and Nieve all confirmed so far for Sky it seems.

Simon Spilak for the win it is then! :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I forgot that I've got one too now! I'll check it out.
That's right you have, I'm glad it's made an impression!!

The bit re cadence/gradient that I'm struggling to explain, probably won't register with yourself, as it makes it easier for us fat posties to judge optimum gear selection.

This evening I was trying to push through my main climb, and managed a PB.
Which I did by trying to keep an even cadence through the various gradients of the 2 mile climb.
I find it really easy to get sucked into riding the 4% as I had been riding the previous 8%.
So having that little remind saying 'hang on this section is a lot easier - push on' is invaluable.

But all the other geeks, laugh at me and say it's not worth it, but I know it is and they are meanies. :lolol:

But don't you actually have to go up a hill in the first place for it to show any kind of gradient? Or are you saying it used to be accurate on your Garmin and probably still is, if you were to put it to the test :p
Strava would say otherwise.

I got off my arse and up a hill or 2 this evening, didn't enjoy a single minute of it!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's right you have, I'm glad it's made an impression!!

The bit re cadence/gradient that I'm struggling to explain, probably won't register with yourself, as it makes it easier for us fat posties to judge optimum gear selection.

This evening I was trying to push through my main climb, and managed a PB.
Which I did by trying to keep an even cadence through the various gradients of the 2 mile climb.
I find it really easy to get sucked into riding the 4% as I had been riding the previous 8%.
So having that little remind saying 'hang on this section is a lot easier - push on' is invaluable.

But all the other geeks, laugh at me and say it's not worth it, but I know it is and they are meanies. :lolol:

Strava would say otherwise.

I got off my arse and up a hill or 2 this evening, didn't enjoy a single minute of it!

Chapeau!

I really shouldn't be throwing stones anyway to be honest. Totally lost my motivation of late.

Anyway, as I was saying, Spilak FTW? :wink:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good morning geeks. Further to my previous posts, my letter of collection has finally come through & I've ordered my bike, to collect tomorrow. Obviously it's only a fairly entry level bike compared to your no doubt TdF-esque machines, but I can't tell you how excited I am :lol:

Very much looking forward to getting out on the road & giving it some miles :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good morning geeks. Further to my previous posts, my letter of collection has finally come through & I've ordered my bike, to collect tomorrow. Obviously it's only a fairly entry level bike compared to your no doubt TdF-esque machines, but I can't tell you how excited I am :lol:

Very much looking forward to getting out on the road & giving it some miles :thumbsup:
Well done, we need a photo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously it's only a fairly entry level bike compared to your no doubt TdF-esque machines, but I can't tell you how excited I am :lol:
In the interests of non-binfestery, that is the cornerstone of this thread, all road bike are equal.
Naturally it goes without saying, your own bike is more equal than all the others, we're not communists.

Colour of bar-tape is the only stumbling block to unilateral harmony, but it's not my fault if everybody else insists on being wrong :lol:

In most threads on NSC that would be referring to a photo of a Lycra-clad Edna...
How very dare you.

It's a sad reflection of this thread, and in no way a disservice to Edna, I did mean a bike photo. :down:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mwahahahaha :lolol:

No offence taken, whatsoever :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Ooooh, exciting!

What are you getting? Have you bought shoes and cleats? Shades and helmet?

NEVER leave it ANYWHERE in the open. Even with a good lock. But I guess you, of all people, should know that.

You absolutely must download Strava, as it will make you cycle further and more often.

Good luck tomorrow, and enjoy it!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ooooh, exciting!

What are you getting? Have you bought shoes and cleats? Shades and helmet?

NEVER leave it ANYWHERE in the open. Even with a good lock. But I guess you, of all people, should know that.

You absolutely must download Strava, as it will make you cycle further and more often.

Good luck tomorrow, and enjoy it!

It's one of the Giant Defy series, yes I have bought shoes & cleats (that's going to be an experience to get used to), and I already have the glasses & helmet from previous bike rides :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here