[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Jeez - contador & valverde today? My eyebrows were on the top of my head. Should be a great TDF if they all arrive in form.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
This turned up from Italy today. Its seen plenty of 'action' and has more chips than a, errr, chip shop but Christ its nice. Lovingly wrapped up in a Gazetta Dello Sport too!

I'll rebuild it one day. Maybe.

View attachment 52593

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
thought I might like to see the JVS/Spectator accident.
It's a very nasty smash, so I'm not going to link it, but it is out there.

Yeah, for some reason I went looking for it. Sickening. That poor family but how thick do you have to be to stand there? As bad as it is, it could have been worse.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seems like Tony Martin can't be doing with waiting until Saturday for the Pais Vasco TT :lol:

Done his own one today 11km from the finish and only lost about 30 seconds to the chasing peloton to take the stage win with ease. Done a few of these last season too if I remember rightly, and so did Phinney. Brilliant viewing!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Jeez - contador & valverde today? My eyebrows were on the top of my head. Should be a great TDF if they all arrive in form.

The Spanish have obviously sorted out their new blood booster then!

Yeah, for some reason I went looking for it. Sickening. That poor family but how thick do you have to be to stand there? As bad as it is, it could have been worse.

JVS riding Roubaix this weekend as well (spectator stable in intensive care, apparently)

On another note, I still can't find a bloody power torque crank bolt for my new bike anywhere!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On another note, I still can't find a bloody power torque crank bolt for my new bike anywhere!!!
Have you looked in the last place you had it :dunce:

Now that's sorted, I can't find my motivation to go for a spin, grrrr.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some cracking racing from Pais Vasco again today. Very aggressive from everyone on that final climb. This seasons racing is bloody excellent at virtually every race so far. Long may it continue!

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I pick up my new bike tomorrow and received my order from wiggle (cateye rear light) with thanks to 1066 familyman. Just still on the hunt for the front light. Will let you all know how the bike is.
Thanks for all the help peeps.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Have you looked in the last place you had it :dunce:

Now that's sorted, I can't find my motivation to go for a spin, grrrr.

My motivation is bang on, especially as I've treated myself to two pairs of bib shorts, a second hand jersey off ebay and some arm warmers from Prendas. Added to that, all the times I have managed to get out recently I've felt really good.

Unfortunately, full time work is a bloody time consuming pain in the arse and it's all systems go on the allotment to get everything in following a wet winter that meant I had a lot of digging to catch up on. Still, winning the battle slowly and by the end of Easter I should have more time to really start putting the miles and hills in. I'm all fired up for a decent Summer of riding ahead all being well. :)

Put that cake down and get out there!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I hoped 'voicing' my lethargy did motivate me enough to go out for 50mins, early evening.

I needed a couple more pints of water, and a stretch before I went, but naturally the moment I was out there the happier I was.
I'd forgotten the enjoyment of overtaking a pooh load of cars, in rush hour traffic. I normally like to go out straight after work, but my back plus being super tired has stopped me.
I was beginning to wonder if my recent activity was just a flash in the pan.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Daves off, staying where the money is though. Which is OK.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My workmate is getting a spesh. She lives quite close, so it'll be nice to have some company.

Ordered some spd-sls yesterday. Will get shoes next week and will fall off next weekend.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone got news on actual route details yet for our stage of this years Tour of Britain? I don't just mean route overview that they have on the official site, but the actual parcours?

It looks like they'll be going into Eastbourne and up and over the coast road via Eastdean onto Newhaven before cutting back inland for Ditchling Beacon. Understandable as the view over Cuckmere Haven is going to make for some stunning tv viewing.

I was hoping they might come up High & Over, so decided I'd give it a go myself today to see how it rides. Was making up for lost ground having not been able to get out all week. Quite different to the relatively short but steep hills we have over here. I'd imagined it to be a nightmare from start to finish but actually starts out not too bad. Lulls you into thinking you're over it though without any trouble before kicking up quite steep for the last bit. Good excuse to jump off briefly when you've reached the top to take some photos of Cuckmere in the distance :) Somehow I got it into my mind that heading back home would mean a gentle flat ride along to the Jevington turn off, but then it dawned on me that I'd have to drop down into Cuckmere and back up before I reached my turn. Stunning scenery though and the climb back up was not half as bad as I'd imagined. Probably the worst bit was the seemingly endless false flat once you think you're back up on level ground.

I can see why towns and villages pay good money to have cycle races come through their neck of the woods. If tv coverage of our stage doesn't attract future tourists then I'd be amazed. We're lucky to live in a truly beautiful county. He's a quick reminder of how stunning our ToB route can be (not my own image)

5d1726_cuckmere_step2.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I see Valverde got nudged off the Pais Vasco podium today by losing too much time to Jean-Christophe Peraud in the ITT. Hey ho.

Nice to see Kwiatkowski doing so well.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A big day in the calendar today and due to big work commitments and deadlines I will not be chasing the race from Areenburg to the velodrome. Neither will I be allowed the distraction of the telly box (perhaps highlights later), so working at my desk I will start with the cricket Warkwickshire v Sussex, however I see 5 Live Sports X will be doing live commentary, my fear is they will not cover the ending due to other events also being down to share the feed, anyone know if an English audio feed will be avalible throughout i.e they may do a BBC live event number for TUNE IN RADIO, if anyone sees an audio internet feed advertised on their web travels, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Working 11.jpg
    Working 11.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 48

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I got home from holiday last night. I had recorded Tour of Flanders highlights, and avoided all cycling news while I was away.

A very good decision - what a race! FC is just incredible, isn't he? He played it pefectly, and I am so pleased that he won - he's the Inigo Calderon of the peleton for me.

Tosser of the day? The guy who cycled next to the course, alongside the leading four, a few km from the end, wearing the World Champion's jersey.

Paris-Roubaix today...brings back some painful memories, and Eurosport coverage is on now. Here comes the summer!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Are you sitting comfortably [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]?

I wish I was there. I'd do it again.

Very excited.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I got home from holiday last night. I had recorded Tour of Flanders highlights, and avoided all cycling news while I was away.

A very good decision - what a race! FC is just incredible, isn't he? He played it pefectly, and I am so pleased that he won - he's the Inigo Calderon of the peleton for me.

Tosser of the day? The guy who cycled next to the course, alongside the leading four, a few km from the end, wearing the World Champion's jersey.

Paris-Roubaix today...brings back some painful memories, and Eurosport coverage is on now. Here comes the summer!

Hope you had a nice holiday. Good decision to hold off on the results for Flanders - it was indeed a cracker of a race!

Devolder taking the pay back for all those crashes last week though as he doesn't start today. Be interesting to see how much it might affect Canc not having a team mate alongside him towards the end, but to be honest I don't think it will make any difference at all. Spartacus is in amazing form and Devolder seems to spend most of his time at the back anyway.

I'm not hopeful of my very early bet of Gaudin doing anything at all today. Not in good form, and despite a little attack at Flanders, he ended that race as a DNF. All my outsider hopes are left with Phinney now. Cancellara must be even more of a favourite than usual this year - his race to lose you'd think, but still a lottery. Sep Vanmarcke probably the best chance of beating him.

Horton - only audio coverage I can see via steephill links is the radio 5 one you already know about. Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports