Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Well I sold it on t'other thread as a brutal event, and I think I under played it.
Fabulous riding, horrendous crashing, and some superb comedy vignettes.
I loved the BMC rider looking around in the aftermath of the Tinkoff crash, and swiping his teammates wheel as he lay prone in the field.
Did anyone notice the World Champ riding along side just before the 1km mark.
He'd let himself go :lol:

OPQS tactics were appalling, god knows what they were thinking, there's going to be some ball braking tonight.

I was laughing at the wheel nicking opportunism!

There would have been some very unhappy people if vandenbergh had won - "I can't work even though I'm in the break because there are some more famous team mates behind me who are getting dropped on the climbs"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was laughing at the wheel nicking opportunism!

There would have been some very unhappy people if vandenbergh had won - "I can't work even though I'm in the break because there are some more famous team mates behind me who are getting dropped on the climbs"

It's when the commentator tried to make out it was team orders!!
You could clearly see the fella look around and I'm sure I heard him say 'yoinks'.

It was as if OPQS were so scared to 'hand' the win to the fallible Sagan, they handed it to the infallible Cancellara instead.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Got myself a new bike today after looking around, checked out the carrera subway and the tyres was massive, so i ended up getting my self the "Pinnacle Lithium One 2014 Hybrid Bike" from evans cycles, So after everyone gave me options on what to get. Now another question, what lights should i get?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithium-one-2014-hybrid-bike-ec054690

Happy cycling

What about the Revo Lights, how cool

http://www.stuff.tv/10-best-bike-lights-and-cycle-safety-gear/news

If not cats eyes very good for everyday cycling

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got myself a new bike today after looking around, checked out the carrera subway and the tyres was massive, so i ended up getting my self the "Pinnacle Lithium One 2014 Hybrid Bike" from evans cycles, So after everyone gave me options on what to get. Now another question, what lights should i get?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithium-one-2014-hybrid-bike-ec054690
Great stuff, it's certainly nice to be told of a positive outcome to Team Geeks help.
I hope you and your new steed clock up many a happy mile, together.

No idea on lights I'm a bad cyclist.
In fairness I only do a 2 road commute wearing a hi-vis, with little, almost disposable, Kong lights.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Well played and thanks for the update.

You need to ask yourself what you want the lights for. Town commute where you need to be seen?, or will you also need them for dark country lanes where you'll want to see where you're going as well?

For either scenario a rear light can cover both. I have a serfas thunderbolt as it's usb rechargable and bungey strap type fitting which I needed. But I'd thoroughly recommend one of these if you've space on your seatpost http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-l..._Rear Lights&gclid=CKW898XJzL0CFYkBwwodDBkAcQ or one of these http://www.charleysbikeaccessories.co.uk/products/smart-lunar-r2-rear-light-2x-1-2-watt if you want one to clip onto a saddle bag belt strap (good to have as a second light back up too at that price and size).

My front light is a Cateye Nano Shot, which again is usb rechargable and does me for what I need. The latest version is the Nano Shot Plus which is even brighter and would be better still for pitch black country lanes. The choice of lights is amazing, so have a look around, but I can certainly vouch for the quality of Cateye as a make. If you can, buy the best you can for what you think you'll need rather than scrimping on cheap lights that you'll end up having to replace later on.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Well played and thanks for the update.

You need to ask yourself what you want the lights for. Town commute where you need to be seen?, or will you also need them for dark country lanes where you'll want to see where you're going as well?

For either scenario a rear light can cover both. I have a serfas thunderbolt as it's usb rechargable and bungey strap type fitting which I needed. But I'd thoroughly recommend one of these if you've space on your seatpost http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-l..._Rear Lights&gclid=CKW898XJzL0CFYkBwwodDBkAcQ or one of these http://www.charleysbikeaccessories.co.uk/products/smart-lunar-r2-rear-light-2x-1-2-watt if you want one to clip onto a saddle bag belt strap (good to have as a second light back up too at that price and size).

My front light is a Cateye Nano Shot, which again is usb rechargable and does me for what I need. The latest version is the Nano Shot Plus which is even brighter and would be better still for pitch black country lanes. The choice of lights is amazing, so have a look around, but I can certainly vouch for the quality of Cateye as a make. If you can, buy the best you can for what you think you'll need rather than scrimping on cheap lights that you'll end up having to replace later on.

I would like lights for both situations to be able to see down dark paths and also to be seen on the roads. I have a similar version of the smart lunar and love them. I have heard great things about cateye lights. That rear cateye looks great, I would then just need to find a front light for round about the same price. I do have a smart lunar 35 front light on my MTB and that seems to be fine but didn't know if you/everybody recommends a different front light. As now I'm sorted for the rear light with thanks to yourself. I would rather spend a little bit more on lights as they are rather important.

:)

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Maybe a little bit more reasonable front bike light, as just looking at the nano shots and they start at rather high prices but I suppose you get what you pay for

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe a little bit more reasonable front bike light, as just looking at the nano shots and they start at rather high prices but I suppose you get what you pay for

If you're willing to strap a small battery pack to your frame then the ebay cheap as chips Cree lights are amazingly bright. I ride with someone who has one and they are phenomenally bright for around about £20 or less. They do get get hot though apparently, and not sure how safe they'd be in the rain :lol: The Nano Shots aren't cheap but are a solid piece of kit built to last, with a great cut off beam pattern and pretty sleek too. If you look around you can sometimes get good deals on them. To be honest, if I needed another front light I'd be very tempted by the ebay Cree types.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Just finished watching the eurosport coverage. Cracking race, I thought, spoilt slightly for me by the tw@t on my club forum who let the cat out of the bag, but hey ho. There were a truly shocking amount of crashes and I just cannot comprehend how guys like Devolder can get straight back up and carry on, time and again. Two clubmates came off in a 2-up TT I was riding in this morning and both ended up in hospital, but the pros just seem to bounce.

Off to Paris-Roubaix next weekend for my annual pilgrimage, and on the evidence of the Classics Season thus far, I cannot wait!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't forget your camera [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION], we all want to see those photos.

While looking for 'BMC wheel thief' youtube thought I might like to see the JVS/Spectator accident.
It's a very nasty smash, so I'm not going to link it, but it is out there.

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards.
I hope Calde isn't currently watching Eurosport.
The Basque country is looking very pretty and lush, we wouldn't want him getting home sick.

No spoiler still 5kms to go.

Co commentator 'I'm going to stick my neck out, and go for Gerrans, today'.
Kirby 'if you are sticking your neck out, your not sticking it very far'. :lol: :clap:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
If you're willing to strap a small battery pack to your frame then the ebay cheap as chips Cree lights are amazingly bright. I ride with someone who has one and they are phenomenally bright for around about £20 or less. They do get get hot though apparently, and not sure how safe they'd be in the rain :lol: The Nano Shots aren't cheap but are a solid piece of kit built to last, with a great cut off beam pattern and pretty sleek too. If you look around you can sometimes get good deals on them. To be honest, if I needed another front light I'd be very tempted by the ebay Cree types.

I have been having a long hard look this evening and I will be getting the rear cat eye light that you showed me but not to sure about a front light. I have a smart lunar 25 front light on my MTB and that is great and it was reasonable. What do you think of the smart lunar? I know not as powerful as the nano shots.
Sorry to keep asking your advice.
:D

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There were a truly shocking amount of crashes and I just cannot comprehend how guys like Devolder can get straight back up and carry on, time and again.

Amazing these pro athletes, especially the ones out on 2 wheels. Can't believe how quickly motorbike racers are back out after surgery. I'd still be resisting a discharge home.

Oh Zukey, that £20 Cree light is one I see on many forums. Some lights are over £260, so for a score you can't go wrong in comparison.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have been having a long hard look this evening and I will be getting the rear cat eye light that you showed me but not to sure about a front light. I have a smart lunar 25 front light on my MTB and that is great and it was reasonable. What do you think of the smart lunar? I know not as powerful as the nano shots.
Sorry to keep asking your advice.
:D

Good choice on that Cateye rear, you won't be disappointed.

Can't comment on any Smart Lunar fronts I'm afraid as never owned or seen one.

Here's a good little tool for comparing various lights though : http://road.cc/lights2012/index-wide.php

Have a play around and you'll soon see how to work the test. They have a £20 Ebay Cree special on there too so you can compare, as well as a Smart Lunar 35.

Good luck.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Amazing these pro athletes, especially the ones out on 2 wheels. Can't believe how quickly motorbike racers are back out after surgery. I'd still be resisting a discharge home.

Oh Zukey, that £20 Cree light is one I see on many forums. Some lights are over £260, so for a score you can't go wrong in comparison.

I've been using one of those Cree ebay £20 jobs for a 15-20 mile commute all year round for about three years now and really can't fault it. I quickly b@ggered one battery by failing to waterproof it, but double-bagged the next in freezer bags and gaffer tape and it's still good as new. Burn time is about 3hrs at a retina-searing intensity and the only possible cautionary note is that the brightness (if I forget to dip) seems to irk some car drivers. I've since bought an exposure joystick that I have on my helmet and, even though it was heavily reduced, that still cost me four times as much. If it were a straight toss up between the two, I'd plump for the Cree every time.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Oh, and a quick plug for the RSP Astrum (or similar) rear. Can be found for about a tenner and, once you've waterproofed it with a couple of wraps of insulating tape (standard practice, I find) will last forever and is extremely visible.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Don't forget your camera [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION], we all want to see those photos.

Will do my best! Got an awesome collection of blurred/headless/under/overexposed/lenscaplefton photos of pave and thighs from the last twenty years that I must share with you all at some stage.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Good choice on that Cateye rear, you won't be disappointed.

Can't comment on any Smart Lunar fronts I'm afraid as never owned or seen one.

Here's a good little tool for comparing various lights though : http://road.cc/lights2012/index-wide.php

Have a play around and you'll soon see how to work the test. They have a £20 Ebay Cree special on there too so you can compare, as well as a Smart Lunar 35.

Good luck.

I like that website, very interesting how it is set-up. The smart lunar compared to the nano shot is not very good and their is a massive difference. Nano shot looks impressive. I don't know if I would want a battery attached to my bike though regarding the cree light. I'm now more considering the nano shot.
Tough choice and to many lights out there. I will keep you/all updated.
Thanks again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Missed highlights show of Pais Vasco today but just watched the last 9km youtube vid.

Bloody hell, Bert is on fire!

Been a great seasons cycling already, so hopefully the Grand Tours will be superb too. Hope Contador can take this form into TdF and have a real showdown with Froome as that would be fantastic.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I like that website, very interesting how it is set-up. The smart lunar compared to the nano shot is not very good and their is a massive difference. Nano shot looks impressive. I don't know if I would want a battery attached to my bike though regarding the cree light. I'm now more considering the nano shot.
Tough choice and to many lights out there. I will keep you/all updated.
Thanks again.

As much as I keep sounding like a Cateye salesman, and as pleased as I am with my Nano shot, you really need to give this sentence from Glanders some serious thought I reckon...

I've since bought an exposure joystick that I have on my helmet and, even though it was heavily reduced, that still cost me four times as much. If it were a straight toss up between the two, I'd plump for the Cree every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here