Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat I have to say, I missed Scooby Doo as your avatar, perhaps he can make a comeback someday, however Ned Flanders in the world champions jersey, is this an episode I have never seen, Ned Flanders riding Flanders.

Apologise if this is fixtures as I have not looked back through CG.

That would be a cracking episode, although a little too niche, even for The Simpsons.

I'm loving Ned in the stripes, I think he might be round for a while, even though his relevance is just this week.

I did have a great photo from Classic Pics, of 'cool dude with his bike', a turn of the last century shot, but it didn't really work in miniature.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm really hacked off.

Was really looking to this morning's ride, was gonna increase the mileage with a a bit of a new route. 9ish last night got a sudden sore throat. Could not get to sleep, then when woke up felt rank. Checked out tomorrow and the forecast is f wet. Lager does not taste like lager at the mo, so maybe I'd not be well enough anyway. No doubt my lad reckons he'll be on the xbox a lot tomorrow. He can do one (I hope).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rainy wet weather here has sealed the deal for a whole days Flanders viewing. Coverage started at 11.30am.

Brief update so far:

Bad crash for Vansummeren, hitting an elderly woman spectator in the middle of the road. Vansummeren out of race, but serious for the spectator apparently :( Pray she'll be ok.

Phinney in the, now 10 man, break is a bit of a surprise.
Stig Broeckx (Lotto Belisol), Davide Appolonio (AG2R), Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge), Raymond Kreder (Garmin-Sharp),Wesley Kreder (Wanty Group), Alexander Kuchynski (Katusha), Andrea Palini (Lampre Merida), Taylor Phinney (BMC), James Vanlandschoot (Wanty Group), Jelle Wallays (Topsport Vlaanderen) and Romain Zingle (Cofidis)

Appolonio dropped due to puncture.

G has already been down (surprise surprise) and Vanmarcke was involved too. Both ok and still riding without problem. Durbridge crashed out, in hospital but ok.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Roelandts down now as well Lotto are not having a lot of luck this spring are they?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Also the crowd seem to have clackers! Is the Ronde tinpot?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BW isn't being shy at the front.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No sign of Vanmarcke right at the front which is where he'd usually be. Another G casuality I wonder??? I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with the amount of time he spends on the deck. Perhaps he should join Vanmarcke at Belkin - they make an art form of hitting the deck so he'd be right at home there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Roelandts down now as well Lotto are not having a lot of luck this spring are they?

You're not kidding. Gallopin down now!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lizzie Armistead takes second in the Womens Ronde, thats a 1st and 2nd, 2nd in the first three rounds of the world cup.

Impressive! Having a great season. More women's race coverage would be nice, although I realise that wouldn't have been possible today as they finished whilst the men's race was half way through.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got to say that was a tactical masterclass from Canc today :bowdown: Impressive the way he left it to Vanmarcke to shut down the attack from Vandenbergh at about 2km to go.

I'm gutted for Vanmarcke so often being so close but just missing out, plus I had a little bet on him. But in the end, despite admiring the Spartacus win, I would have liked to see GVA take that having been so aggressive to be there at the end. As for OPQS - bit of a fail from them really, all things considered.

Great racing today. More of the same through the week hopefully ready for another big one next Sunday.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Got to say that was a tactical masterclass from Canc today :bowdown: Impressive the way he left it to Vanmarcke to shut down the attack from Vandenbergh at about 2km to go.

I'm gutted for Vanmarcke so often being so close but just missing out, plus I had a little bet on him. But in the end, despite admiring the Spartacus win, I would have liked to see GVA take that having been so aggressive to be there at the end. As for OPQS - bit of a fail from them really, all things considered.

Great racing today. More of the same through the week hopefully ready for another big one next Sunday.

Would love kristoff to have caught them napping and gone flying past the lot!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Would love kristoff to have caught them napping and gone flying past the lot!

:lol: Me and the 1066 minis were shouting at the computer that Kristoff was coming! Another 100 metres or so of them playing about and it may well have happened. He's been phenomenal this Spring. Bet he hopes Paolini doesn't shave that beard off sometime soon though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some horrible looking offs today.

All riders ok though which is a relief. Vansummeren the worst off with a head injury but at least ok. The old lady that he hit needs praying for. I made the mistake of watching a video clip of the incident as I was curious to see how it happened as reports were confused. I wish I hadn't as it was horrendous. She was standing on a traffic Island with three other spectators and was taken clean out by Vansummeren. Have to say I'm amazed race organisers allowed spectators there rather than having a man with a flag in front of the road furniture.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I sold it on t'other thread as a brutal event, and I think I under played it.
Fabulous riding, horrendous crashing, and some superb comedy vignettes.
I loved the BMC rider looking around in the aftermath of the Tinkoff crash, and swiping his teammates wheel as he lay prone in the field.
Did anyone notice the World Champ riding along side just before the 1km mark.
He'd let himself go :lol:

OPQS tactics were appalling, god knows what they were thinking, there's going to be some ball braking tonight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Didn't JVS clatter someone while riding on the cycle path, last year?

[tweet]452835780139167745[/tweet]

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Impressive! Having a great season. More women's race coverage would be nice, although I realise that wouldn't have been possible today as they finished whilst the men's race was half way through.

Lizzie is one of my favourite riders after watching her from a young age on the track. She has great potential and is confident enough to speak out at the inequality between mens and women's cycling. I am sure she is part of the Tour of Britain's decision to make the mens and women's tour equal for prize money and organisation. I believe the UCI plans to show as many races live or highlights in the same way the Albion show womens and U21 games on their youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here