Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cortese wants Saints in top 6 and blasts Le Tiss

That well known racing trainer and former Saints legend Mick Channon might be the most appropriate target for some burger meat under the duvet given that he also questioned Cortese's ruthless style...........

Haven't heard from Atkins either - is he 'sleeping with the fishes'?

I think he's going to Huddersfield - how the mighty have fallen.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Must admit that I do (grudgingly) admire Adkins for the way in which he has maintained his dignity after his sacking. Wouldn't have blamed him for indulging in a war of words with Cortese.

On the other hand Adkins might be remaining silent and keeping his options open for some form of compensation given that Cortese seems to have had the new manager lined up weeks before Adkins got the gooner.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
The man is yet to make a really bad decision! the only thing that came close was the photo issue a couple of years back. he's got us back to back promotions, building a training facility and academy among the best in world football, sacked pardew, hired adkins who got us up - twice. Where has he publicly criticised le tiss? Ponchettino took Espanyol from 8 points from safety with 10 games to go to Europe in Spain! Not a bad manager. Only reason he got sacked this year was all his players were sold so he had a shit squad!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The man is yet to make a really bad decision! the only thing that came close was the photo issue a couple of years back. he's got us back to back promotions, building a training facility and academy among the best in world football, sacked pardew, hired adkins who got us up - twice. Where has he publicly criticised le tiss? Ponchettino took Espanyol from 8 points from safety with 10 games to go to Europe in Spain! Not a bad manager. Only reason he got sacked this year was all his players were sold so he had a shit squad![/QUOTE

Hello Nicola

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think he's going to Huddersfield - how the mighty have fallen.

Would be surprised if he doesn't get a better offer than Huddersfield. If he's prepared to be patient, then I'd have thought a bigger club might take a punt.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After the interview, almost 100% of the Ston messages to SSN, said they were completely swayed by his professionalism and vision for the club; and all did a u turn on Adkins ... respecting Cortese's judgement.

That may be, but they will never be a consistent top 6 team.
A small city of 200,000 even if you add in other small towns like Eastleigh and Winchester, is a tiny catchment in the pecking order of English and Welsh football.
Add some Liebherr money, and you still get no where the might of ManU, ManC, LFC, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton, and so on.

All the time, there are other clubs rising with far bigger catchments and/or wealthy benefactors.

Cortese and the fans of that mid size club are sadly deluded.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
That well known racing trainer and former Saints legend Mick Channon might be the most appropriate target for some burger meat under the duvet given that he also questioned Cortese's ruthless style...........

Haven't heard from Atkins either - is he 'sleeping with the fishes'?

Atkins,Atkins who the f*ck is Atkins?

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Not been on here for a while seeing as I really thought we were off your radar what with us being in different leagues. But alas no. Still more stories of how everything is going to end up horribly for us, just like 2 seasons ago when we were sure not to go up out of League 1 and of course last season when it was all gonna go tits up and we would fail to get promoted. But here we are no longer the joke of the prem letting in stupid goals and with a decent cushion from the bottom 3.

But if you want the general opinion of most Saints fans, here it is. Adkins was a quality manager for us and we'd still prefer to have him. He was a popular figure in football (apart from a few pathetic fans who wont forget the keep up statement), he was a good guy and had a great work ethic. We'll never forget him.

But you cant deny where Cortese had put us. It's not Cortese's money but clearly it's him who successfully trying to make us something even bigger than what we are now. Big signings look like they could be a regular thing, he talks about being a top 6 team (although obviously not this season) and there even plans to expand the stadium You cant help but be a bit excited. Maybe he's aiming a bit high but who's complaining. All I know is if we stay up this year, we wont be relegation fodder for many a year.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not been on here for a while seeing as I really thought we were off your radar what with us being in different leagues. But alas no. Still more stories of how everything is going to end up horribly for us, just like 2 seasons ago when we were sure not to go up out of League 1 and of course last season when it was all gonna go tits up and we would fail to get promoted. But here we are no longer the joke of the prem letting in stupid goals and with a decent cushion from the bottom 3.

But if you want the general opinion of most Saints fans, here it is. Adkins was a quality manager for us and we'd still prefer to have him. He was a popular figure in football (apart from a few pathetic fans who wont forget the keep up statement), he was a good guy and had a great work ethic. We'll never forget him.

But you cant deny where Cortese had put us. It's not Cortese's money but clearly it's him who successfully trying to make us something even bigger than what we are now. Big signings look like they could be a regular thing, he talks about being a top 6 team (although obviously not this season) and there even plans to expand the stadium You cant help but be a bit excited. Maybe he's aiming a bit high but who's complaining. All I know is if we stay up this year, we wont be relegation fodder for many a year.

Reasonable post, apart from the 'decent CUSHION' bit. You are FOUR POINTS above the drop zone, and 2 of your next 3 games are against the top 2.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
only going to end one way i am afraid

Mine

Odious Bureaucrat
Sep 16, 2011
But you cant deny where Cortese had put us.

I can't deny where he has taken you. But the road to relegation is littered with clubs who thought they could do better than what they had at the time. Just ask Wolves.

Progress is often achieved by clubs who remain either stable in approach (Swansea) or in management (Everton). It is rarely gained by those who rashly decide to junk everything when things appear as difficult as everyone thought it would be.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

We'll call you Clueless Redneb from now on. What dillusional nonesense you type.

What dillusional nonesense you type Redneb.

What cushion?

Expanding your stadium. You can't even fill St Marys now you're back in the top flight.

Regular top 6 finish(although obviously not this season). In the Championship maybe.

We won't be relegation fodder for many years if we stay up. Ha, do me a favour!

Southampton fans are such spineless/fickle turn-coats. Spitting blood when Adkins got the chop you showed your true colours in the following game against Everton. I never thought i'd feel sorry for Adkins. He deserved better after the amazing job he did for your club. Hang your heads in shame.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Southampton fans are such spineless/fickle turn-coats. Spitting blood when Adkins got the chop you showed your true colours in the following game against Everton. I never thought i'd feel sorry for Adkins. He deserved better after the amazing job he did for your club. Hang your heads in shame.

That's very harsh Paris.

Seven of them waved white handkerchiefs, and one wrote 'I love Nigel' on the back of a cornflakes box.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

You ARE off our radar! Certainly as far as competition is concerned and even I've dropped all talk of a rivalry with Southampton. However this is a general football story with wider implications and we're just discussing it - no need to get paranoid. And Southampton, being a similar sized club to us, also gets mentioned when we discuss how feasible it would be for us to survive in the Prem if we got there a bit ahead of schedule. Again nothing for you to get paranoid about, we're not constantly talking about you behind your back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
....or, he's got a big fat pay off and is under legal obligation not to talk to the media for a specific time, like a kind of gardening leave I reckon.

This is the most likely reason Adkins has gone Lucan since he was binned.

Remember, Cortese is the one who placed an EMBARGO on Southampton fans talking to Sky Sports outside St Marys before the Everton game.

Its like bringing a little bit of Pyongyang to a corner of Hampshire.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You ARE off our radar! Certainly as far as competition is concerned and even I've dropped all talk of a rivalry with Southampton. However this is a general football story with wider implications and we're just discussing it - no need to get paranoid. And Southampton, being a similar sized club to us, also gets mentioned when we discuss how feasible it would be for us to survive in the Prem if we got there a bit ahead of schedule. Again nothing for you to get paranoid about, we're not constantly talking about you behind your back.

True that. I suspect he was hoping for more Saints threads but carried on with the narrative anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here