Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - Another frustrating year for him ahead i feel

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Vicente , Buckley , Bruno , Barnesy , Hosky ,Nooney and KLL provide the service then CMS will be doing the business.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
CMS will do the business this season.

I hope Piglets do a nice line in humble pie.

On what basis do people think he will do well? All we have so far is assurances that he will come good when he hasn't in the past at this level (twice) and that "if we play to his strengths" which Gus clearly does not want to do.

Genuine question - why will next season be different?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I agree with you, but did we need to play these friendlies to work that out? We have all of last season to look at for proof of that.

Feel free to shoot me down, but my opinion is that our formation is good as it gives us strength in midfield, which we rely on to hold on to the ball. There was quite a bit of clamour for a 4-4-2 on this site last season, particularly early on, and on the rare occasions we did play it we looked awful. I can't remember who it was against, but it was a home game before Christmas and we started with Kazenga and Buckley. The other team weren't particularly good, but we looked lost as we just couldn't dominate possession, which is obviously Gus' plan. This season, all I'd be looking to do is get the two support players and the attacking midfielder (Vicente) a bit closer to CMS so that it doesn't have to be such a lone battle for him all the time.

Not going to disagree with that. 4-5-1 turning into 4-3-3 suits our style. I just feel that we failed to use the pace we have effectively but the weakness of our fullbacks defensively was probably a big part of that as they needed extra cover.
I'm happier if Barnes is playing just behind the main striker as I think he is better suited and will score more playing centrally - I would love to see him practicing the "Murray function" of laying the ball off or knocking it on with his head as well as turning and running - if only he was 2 or 3 inches taller.
If we need to play the support striker wider then Hoskins is well equipped to play that role assuming he is back in the fold - he did it for Bristol to great effect (20 goals in a poor side). Agdestein seems to have attributes to understudy either of those roles from the bench and hopefully continue to develop over the next year.
Given what we have, a genuine box-to-box midfielder able to cover alongside ,Bridcutt, hold and run with the ball, and pass simply and accurately without losing it and selling the defence into trouble is the ultimate priority for me.

Gus does, however, seem set on recruiting a big striker.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
FFS you are basing your opinion on Lewes in July.
And a season that we over performed with a predominately defensive midfield and lone striker.
While occasionally carrying BDB or Vokes.

A quality midfielder will come in, our midfield will be 10-20 yards further up field, and CMS will have the space all strikers need to play in, because he won't be all alone with 2 massive centre halfs.

No im basing it peredominately on last season, where it clearly didnt work out as we expected.

I cannot see the Gus style adapting to CMS's strength's and is there any indication that we are signing another or even looking to play an additional attacking midfielder to further help CMS or stick to what we did last year and sign a defensive player to replace Nav's

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
This is why I don't go to friendlies. People draw totally bollocks conclusions from them. If we were playing at full pelt we'd beat Lewes 10-0 and both our strikers would score hat-tricks. But we're not, it's a fitness exercise, which is why people are mugs to pay to watch it. I couldn't care less if CMS scores 15 goals in pre-season or absolutely none. It won't affect what he does at Hull on August 18th. Also, Ashley Barnes is exactly the same player he was last season (whether you like him or not), he's not suddenly become a 25-goal Championship striker on the back of finding the scorebag against Maidstone and Lewes.

Rubbish - if its just a fitness exercise then why do they adopt the exact same passing style as last year, why not vary it as the result doesnt matter. the reason ? Because that is exactly the same style we will play again. CMS having to come deep to get the ball which is his biggest weakness, not based on a frienddly (although he did have a f***ing shocker if were all being honest, regardless of whether its Lewes, Mile Oak under 11's or Chelsea) but based on last season.

Listen, we all want the guy to do well. He cost a lot of money firstly, but also because he has a great attitude and deserves it. Im not suggesting he is shit, just that i cant see it working out for him as we do not accomodate him at all in the math strategy, and i dont rate his ability as high enough to get involves with build up play when he comes deep to get it.doesnt mean he is not a good player, just not that kind of player

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Jesus Christ are we going to get a thread like this after every game CMS does not score in....

PATHETIC - give it a rest will you

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think CMS going to Scotland rather than Swindon will negatively affect his chances at the start of the season more than an indifferent pre-season (if it does end up being indifferent, two games is FAR too soon to judge...).

Barring a new signing Barnes will start in behind Hoskins in te League Cup and if all goes well and THEN we sign another player, CMS may struggle to get back in the side.

I like CMS but I've always preferred Barnes because his overall contribution is much higher, and if Hoskins stays injury-free he could be a real asset this season.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009

Ok, so our "star" multi million pound striker, for whom we beat off several high profile clubs, has an average at best 1st season.

We play a friendly against a Non League team (which i fully understand, as a result it doesn't matter) where CMS plays poorly on the odd occasion he actually gets the ball (which doesnt happen often when you analyse it) and we are suppoed to not talk about it. This is NSC - what the f*** else are we meant to talk about ?

I've not written the guy off personally and as said on other posts want him to do well, but you can even sense (from last season also ) his frustration and nothing from the way Gus has set up again for these past 2 games tells me we are about to radically change things to involve him more.

People act as if we are basing our concerns on 2 freindlys only

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Definitely.

The problem is we have nothing else to talk about, so people start looking at a couple of kickabouts against non-league part-timers and extrapolating it over a season of matches against Wolves, Birmingham and Blackburn.

You can almost see their brains working:

Barnes: 4 goals against rubbish = 25 goals this season.
CMS: 1 goal against rubbish = not suited to us, must sell immediately.

It's absolute bollocks I'm afraid. I don't even remember who we played last pre-season, let alone the results or who scored. I'm sure it didn't have any bearing on what happened from August onwards though.

Cracking couple of posts there TCB- spot on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On what basis do people think he will do well? All we have so far is assurances that he will come good when he hasn't in the past at this level (twice) and that "if we play to his strengths" which Gus clearly does not want to do.

Genuine question - why will next season be different?

One of the frustrating things last season was that our rapid counter attacks were rarely all that rapid. This is due to the qualities of our defence and midfield. Whether it is directly because a particular player is poor, or because he dropped back to compensate for a poorer team mate e.g. Barnes dropping deep into the box to support Painter or Mattock, and Noone coming back to help out Calderon, everyone coming bac to crowd the area and protect/support the keepers etc.

Because the midfield were so deep, by the time they got far enough up the pitch to accurately link with attack (i.e. not just boot it up field for CMS to collect/challege opposition defence for) our opponents had time to get back too.

This season we have top flight/champions league experience in goal, top flight/champions league experience at left back and right back. The midfield won't need to drop back so much, and the full backs will have greater footballing intelligence and ability to move the ball forward. This will speed up counter attacks, getting the ball to CMS when he has the space to do something with it.

This is not even taking into account the new midfielder we're all hoping for, who will only improve the counr attack in both speed and quality, as well as in reading the game and finding the right ball to play for our forwards.

CMS's first year in the championship was in a struggling Peterborough side, and I believe he missed some of the season with injury. By the time he got used to the higher level of opponent he dropped down to league one before being able to put his lessons into practice against tougher opponents.

His first season with us will have been made less effective than his usual play by a combination of getting back into the swing of tougher opponents, learning a new system that often takes players time to adjust to, and confidence (getting used to he new system at the same time as tougher opponents leads to trouble scoring, trouble scoring leads to a drop in confidence, a drop in confidence makes it harder to score).

This season is a fresh start with less pressure, last season's struggle for goals irrelevant so confidence isn't so low, he will have been able to look back on last season, learn lessons, put them into practice this season.

Of course, this is all theory, but this theory is why people think CMS will improve this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the frustrating things last season was that our rapid counter attacks were rarely all that rapid. This is due to the qualities of our defence and midfield. Whether it is directly because a particular player is poor, or because he dropped back to compensate for a poorer team mate e.g. Barnes dropping deep into the box to support Painter or Mattock, and Noone coming back to help out Calderon, everyone coming bac to crowd the area and protect/support the keepers etc.

Because the midfield were so deep, by the time they got far enough up the pitch to accurately link with attack (i.e. not just boot it up field for CMS to collect/challege opposition defence for) our opponents had time to get back too.

This season we have top flight/champions league experience in goal, top flight/champions league experience at left back and right back. The midfield won't need to drop back so much, and the full backs will have greater footballing intelligence and ability to move the ball forward. This will speed up counter attacks, getting the ball to CMS when he has the space to do something with it.

This is not even taking into account the new midfielder we're all hoping for, who will only improve the counr attack in both speed and quality, as well as in reading the game and finding the right ball to play for our forwards.

CMS's first year in the championship was in a struggling Peterborough side, and I believe he missed some of the season with injury. By the time he got used to the higher level of opponent he dropped down to league one before being able to put his lessons into practice against tougher opponents.

His first season with us will have been made less effective than his usual play by a combination of getting back into the swing of tougher opponents, learning a new system that often takes players time to adjust to, and confidence (getting used to he new system at the same time as tougher opponents leads to trouble scoring, trouble scoring leads to a drop in confidence, a drop in confidence makes it harder to score).

This season is a fresh start with less pressure, last season's struggle for goals irrelevant so confidence isn't so low, he will have been able to look back on last season, learn lessons, put them into practice this season.

Of course, this is all theory, but this theory is why people think CMS will improve this season.
I've got fed up with writing that, up and down this forum.

It's sure a pleasure to just write:-

THIS.

This will be his 3rd season of championship football. The previous two have not been anything to write home about. The excuses that the chances have not been created for him have worn thin. He's been presented with gilt edge opportunities in the past, two against Burnley at home last season spring to mind, but failed to put them away. Don't get me wrong I think he gives his all and would love to see him score 20 plus but i think he's going to struggle at this level. Not fitting into our style of football is just an excuse which I disagree with. Gus has 4 strikers at his disposal but openly states he is looking for another which makes me believe that one will be sold on. Hoskins would have been the obvious choice before the pre season friendlies but by all accounts is looking good, Barnes was our leading scorer last season and seems to be one of the first on the team sheet, Toby is in the good books and Gus has said that he is ready for first team football so will be kept. This must cast doubt on CMS' future so the club will listen to offers if they come in for him.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
When we get this Midfielder to go alongside Vicente. Hopefully we can deliver the service he needs to start firing. There is signs of it last night, before we went off injured. But he really should of scored that chance, which Greer delivered. With Hoskins hot on his toes, and back from his Injury concerns CMS might struggle to get into the side this season, especially if we sign a Target man.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jesus Christ are we going to get a thread like this after every game CMS does not score in....

PATHETIC - give it a rest will you

Still only about a quarter as ridiculous as the abuse Barnes was getting when he WAS scoring week in week out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've got fed up with writing that, up and down this forum.

It's sure a pleasure to just write:-

THIS.

I may have missed it but I can't recall you writing anything like that. I've had a cursory glance and as far as I can see you've stated that you believe he will come good if Gus plays him to his strengths. That's nothing like Acker79's excellent riposte.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I may have missed it but I can't recall you writing anything like that. I've had a cursory glance and as far as I can see you've stated that you believe he will come good if Gus plays him to his strengths. That's nothing like Acker79's excellent riposte.

I know someone else has been posting about the midfield being 10-15 yards further up the field, meaning CMS won't have to come back so often, I don't know if that was Stat Brother, or someone els.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I said I'm fed up with writing that on our FORUM

From the Smudger thread:-

Originally Posted by Mutts Nuts
It does not matter how strong our defence is,without goals we will win fcuk all.I hope we are wrong too
What!
Of course it matters how strong our defence is.

With a stronger defence our midfield will be less put upon.
Our less put upon won't be found wanting, and have to be bolstered with 3 defensive midfielders.
So our attacking midfielder and god forbid 2 wingers will at least create space for CMS
With space comes chances.

With chances comes goals.

Rocket science, it ain't.

Would you like me to pedantly go further back in my posts to find at least 2 more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here