Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - Another frustrating year for him ahead i feel

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
After watching CMS last night i feel that he is in for a frustrating year again, where it just isnt going to happen for him. I know it was only 40 mins or so as he come off injured but i saw again a player whos style isnt suited to our play. Thats not to suggest he's not a good player, but the wrong player for us despite us all hoping he would go away and magically discover how to fit into this team.

Last night again , you could see he keeps looking for the ball over the top but apart from a great ball by Greer which to be fair he should have scored from, they just do not come and this isnt going to magically happen - we will play the same as last year. You can sense his frustration and from his body language you can see that slowly but surely he realises this isnt happening for him

Other areas of his game, where he comes deeper to recieve the ball, for me he is ineffective, its not his game - relatively poor touch, misplaced passes etc.

Hoskins on the other hand looks so calm and comfortable in possesion - having him back is like a new signing and hope he stays fit. One thing i would like to see is them both play together.

I hope he will come good when the season starts proper, but that will only happen if we vary our play slighty and knock the odd quick long ball. However for me Hoskins and Barnes are ahead of him at the moment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You would say that one of the most imperative things for a "Gus Poyet" player is that they are comfortable on the ball. CMS just isn't.

The more I think about it the more surprised I am that Gus broke the bank to sign him, doesn't seem to fit the Gus mould at all, much more suited to a kick and rush side.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From last night Hoskins looked better suited to the lone man up front role.

We looked very dangerous going forward second half last night Hoskins up top with Toby and Kaz either side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah I couldn't AGREE more.

Hastings is a MUST win game, for CMS.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We looked very dangerous going forward second half last night Hoskins up top with Toby and Kaz either side.

Although we can only assess the team against what we've played I think it's worthwhile remembering the second half was played against a knackered ryman's league team.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Although we can only assess the team against what we've played I think it's worthwhile remembering the second half was played against a knackered ryman's league team.

They made about 17 subs. They shouldn't have been knackered, all fresh legs in the 2nd half.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
You would say that one of the most imperative things for a "Gus Poyet" player is that they are comfortable on the ball. CMS just isn't.

The more I think about it the more surprised I am that Gus broke the bank to sign him, doesn't seem to fit the Gus mould at all, much more suited to a kick and rush side.

I think to be honest we all thought a guy that bangs in 30+ goals in a team that didnt win the league is worth it, and probably would have been succesful at a Southampton or a Reading style team ie more direct, strong players to win him flick on's etc.

I think Gus's relative inexperience shows here, in the way that we cannot adapt the game to make use of the talents of a player like CMS. I dont even mean that he throw's out his total football principles, it doesnt have to be the "long ball " just a quicker "through ball" and to actually look up to see CMS's runs rather than always, always looking to go short or back.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He will be fine, as we know a creative strong m/f general is the missing ingredient.... I think we MAY have enough up front....... where is Paul Scholes when you need him.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
In 1987, Brighton & Hove Albion signed two new players. Kevin Bremner who was a well known mid league centre forward & a little known left winger called Garry Nelson.

In pre-season friendlies, Bremner soon became a firm fans favourite with his constant running, closing down defenders and he hit some pre-season goalscoring form. By comparison, Nelson looked lacklustre and only scored 1 goal throughout pre-season and many fans were left wondering why we'd signed him.

Wind forward 6 months later and Garry Nelson scored an amazing overhead kick against Arsenal and was well on his way to becoming Brighton & Hove Albion's second highest goalscorer of all time and almost certainly was responsible for firing Brighton & Hove Albion back into the English 2nd Division at the first attempt. Bremner was coming in for criticism from many supporters for missing good chances and was struggling to hold down his place in the starting line up.

In other words...Friendlies sometimes give an indication of how well clubs will perform throughout the following season, but don't pay any attention to how players perform because you will never get a true reflection of a particular player's form in these matches.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It would be a real shame as I think most right thinking people recognise that CMS is a decent player (and a nice guy by all accounts), but is more suited to a fast counter attacking side (like Reading).

When everyone was going on about getting a target man in last season, I couldn't quite get it as I thought Hoskins has always looked to me like he can hold the ball up whenever I've seen him play and can lead the line too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CMS will do the business this season.

I hope Piglets do a nice line in humble pie.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
After watching CMS last night i feel that he is in for a frustrating year again, where it just isnt going to happen for him. I know it was only 40 mins or so as he come off injured but i saw again a player whos style isnt suited to our play. Thats not to suggest he's not a good player, but the wrong player for us despite us all hoping he would go away and magically discover how to fit into this team.

Last night again , you could see he keeps looking for the ball over the top but apart from a great ball by Greer which to be fair he should have scored from, they just do not come and this isnt going to magically happen - we will play the same as last year. You can sense his frustration and from his body language you can see that slowly but surely he realises this isnt happening for him

Other areas of his game, where he comes deeper to recieve the ball, for me he is ineffective, its not his game - relatively poor touch, misplaced passes etc.

Hoskins on the other hand looks so calm and comfortable in possesion - having him back is like a new signing and hope he stays fit. One thing i would like to see is them both play together.

I hope he will come good when the season starts proper, but that will only happen if we vary our play slighty and knock the odd quick long ball. However for me Hoskins and Barnes are ahead of him at the moment.

While I agree he should of scored, he is yet to play in the same side as Bruno.
The other Forwards have all played with him on the Pitch and when he is on the service into the box is much better.
I am going to reserve judgement until he has had this luxury.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I think that the key to his success or failure this year will be how he works with a fit Vincente who can find his runs and the quality of the midfielder and striker that we are after. As is stands with no additons without these additions and if Vincente were to struggle for fitness for a period next season from what I have seen Hoskins suits the forward role better with better first touch etc and is one I have hopes for.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
While I agree he should of scored, he is yet to play in the same side as Bruno.
The other Forwards have all played with him on the Pitch and when he is on the service into the box is much better.
I am going to reserve judgement until he has had this luxury.

Fair point. Bruno was a big reason the attacking players had 100% freedom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here