Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - Another frustrating year for him ahead i feel

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Why not let pre-season run its course and give CMS time to get to full fitness and, more importantly, rebuild his confidence.

If he's not doing the business against the likes of Bristol City, Cardiff and Wolves by Christmas then we'll have cause to worry. Let's not write him off after games against Maidstone and Lewes.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
CMS will do the business this season.

I hope Piglets do a nice line in humble pie.

Ill happily have a large slice if he does well. Thats what we should all hopefully want, but big mountain to climb based on not only last night but last season. Yes ok CMS maybe should have converted a few chances that he maybe snatch at or rushed, but this thread isnt an attack on him, more of a case of people not thinking he suits our style.

Bottom line, he does well then everyones happy

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Fair point. Bruno was a big reason the attacking players had 100% freedom.

He has been quality in both games so far.
I know its only preseason & they are lower league teams but I cant wait to see him in a competive match & hopefully CMS or whoever Gus decides to run the line, benefits.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
In 1987, Brighton & Hove Albion signed two new players. Kevin Bremner who was a well known mid league centre forward & a little known left winger called Garry Nelson.

In pre-season friendlies, Bremner soon became a firm fans favourite with his constant running, closing down defenders and he hit some pre-season goalscoring form. By comparison, Nelson looked lacklustre and only scored 1 goal throughout pre-season and many fans were left wondering why we'd signed him.

Wind forward 6 months later and Garry Nelson scored an amazing overhead kick against Arsenal and was well on his way to becoming Brighton & Hove Albion's second highest goalscorer of all time and almost certainly was responsible for firing Brighton & Hove Albion back into the English 2nd Division at the first attempt. Bremner was coming in for criticism from many supporters for missing good chances and was struggling to hold down his place in the starting line up.

In other words...Friendlies sometimes give an indication of how well clubs will perform throughout the following season, but don't pay any attention to how players perform because you will never get a true reflection of a particular player's form in these matches.

This isn't the first pre-season for CMS, though.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
We chatted last night about the fact that Hoskins looks much more a 'Gus player' than CMS. A lovely touch and good positional play - seems the perfect fit for the way we play.

Let's not forget that Gus tracked him for months too before we signed him... maybe this could be Hosky's year.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
After watching CMS last night i feel that he is in for a frustrating year again, where it just isnt going to happen for him. I know it was only 40 mins or so as he come off injured but i saw again a player whos style isnt suited to our play. Thats not to suggest he's not a good player, but the wrong player for us despite us all hoping he would go away and magically discover how to fit into this team.

Last night again , you could see he keeps looking for the ball over the top but apart from a great ball by Greer which to be fair he should have scored from, they just do not come and this isnt going to magically happen - we will play the same as last year. You can sense his frustration and from his body language you can see that slowly but surely he realises this isnt happening for him

Other areas of his game, where he comes deeper to recieve the ball, for me he is ineffective, its not his game - relatively poor touch, misplaced passes etc.

Hoskins on the other hand looks so calm and comfortable in possesion - having him back is like a new signing and hope he stays fit. One thing i would like to see is them both play together.

I hope he will come good when the season starts proper, but that will only happen if we vary our play slighty and knock the odd quick long ball. However for me Hoskins and Barnes are ahead of him at the moment.

Couldn't agree more.

This will be CMS's third season in the Championship and to date he hasn't established himself as a quality striker at this level. Fingers crossed all round, but are we the wrong team for him?

jjt1976

Dec 29, 2009
I think we need to just wait until the team has settled down and Gus has got the other players in he wants and then and only then can we make judgements on cms/hoskins/barnes/new striker or whoever plays upfront whether it be one upfront or two upfront, and if he or they are not doing the business then we can start moaning a bit and Gus will have some serious choices to make.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ill happily have a large slice if he does well. Thats what we should all hopefully want, but big mountain to climb based on not only last night but last season. Yes ok CMS maybe should have converted a few chances that he maybe snatch at or rushed, but this thread isnt an attack on him, more of a case of people not thinking he suits our style.

Bottom line, he does well then everyones happy
FFS you are basing your opinion on Lewes in July.
And a season that we over performed with a predominately defensive midfield and lone striker.
While occasionally carrying BDB or Vokes.

A quality midfielder will come in, our midfield will be 10-20 yards further up field, and CMS will have the space all strikers need to play in, because he won't be all alone with 2 massive centre halfs.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I may be slightly naive here but I cant believe that Craigsy will fail again this year. He does posses touch and guile in his game, remember that lovely brace he scored against Leeds? And if We do get another top forward in plus have Barnes scoring and Hoskins fit C.M.S won't have the pressure on him like last season, were Gus said he was building the team around him. Plus the poor sod had to work his ass off to the point of exhaustion He'll be just fine this year

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think to be honest we all thought a guy that bangs in 30+ goals in a team that didnt win the league is worth it, and probably would have been succesful at a Southampton or a Reading style team ie more direct, strong players to win him flick on's etc.

I think Gus's relative inexperience shows here, in the way that we cannot adapt the game to make use of the talents of a player like CMS. I dont even mean that he throw's out his total football principles, it doesnt have to be the "long ball " just a quicker "through ball" and to actually look up to see CMS's runs rather than always, always looking to go short or back.

Short passing game, with some variation is the way forward. Gus was a forerunner in the lower leagues, and now others are following.

Unless CMS is a very special player (like Messi at Barca, where their offensive formation is built around him), Gus and the Albion shouldn't have to change things to work around CMS.

Talented and natural/intelligent players adapt themselves, and CMS just hasn't.

The £2.5m rising to £3.25m fee, was however Gus's mistake.

CMs's 2 lean seasons in the Championship, for 2 different clubs, shows his level.

Please Gus ... get a great finisher in this Summer, otherwise we will be also rans next season.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Like you Im not convinced. I woudl take the exchange for Mccormack if its tru, fk knows what is true I read something different everyday. The best one so far is Lukaku was seen at the amex!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
If Gus agrees, maybe this adds credance to the McCormack for CMS possible swap deal.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
I dont believe this, people were getting slated for saying CMS wouldnt cut it a few days ago now it seems alot of people are changing their minds.

Yes he is a good player, yes he would do well for some Championship teams but at the end of the day he doesnt suit our style of play so I still think we should sell him.

I can see Toby, Hoskins and Barnes starting ahead of him TBH as they have shown they suit our style perfectly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is why I don't go to friendlies. People draw totally bollocks conclusions from them. If we were playing at full pelt we'd beat Lewes 10-0 and both our strikers would score hat-tricks. But we're not, it's a fitness exercise, which is why people are mugs to pay to watch it. I couldn't care less if CMS scores 15 goals in pre-season or absolutely none. It won't affect what he does at Hull on August 18th. Also, Ashley Barnes is exactly the same player he was last season (whether you like him or not), he's not suddenly become a 25-goal Championship striker on the back of finding the scorebag against Maidstone and Lewes.
Yep, not much wrong here. It's all about gaining match fitness and pretty much nothing else.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is why I don't go to friendlies. People draw totally bollocks conclusions from them. If we were playing at full pelt we'd beat Lewes 10-0 and both our strikers would score hat-tricks. But we're not, it's a fitness exercise, which is why people are mugs to pay to watch it. I couldn't care less if CMS scores 15 goals in pre-season or absolutely none. It won't affect what he does at Hull on August 18th. Also, Ashley Barnes is exactly the same player he was last season (whether you like him or not), he's not suddenly become a 25-goal Championship striker on the back of finding the scorebag against Maidstone and Lewes.

Great post! :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
RE: The rumoured McCormack swap - I don't know much about him, but would McCormack be any better suited to our style than CMS is according to this thread?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here