Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Clubs eye Calderon after Brighton exit'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What would be the advantage to us of signing him and loaning him out? Why not just release him and let him sign for one of those if he wished and he could still live in Brighton.

See 1001 other posts about wanting to keep the man at the club, but in a coaching role or similar. Keeping him linked with us, but letting him go on loan, with ALL his wages being paid by the borrowing club, but coming back to us when he's decided he can't actually play any more - win, win. Why a problem?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Calde ain't going nowhere

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just an opinion but I believe that playing him in December was responsible for our drop from the top of the league and then subsequent promotion. Mind I said it at the time and got slated but there you go it is my opinion and other people will have a different one.

It's pretty tenuous to link one player to a drop in form that hit the entire team. I'm not surprised people disagreed with you at the time. I'm not surprised they would disagree with you now. I certainly do.

I'd like to see Calde stay in a player-coaching capacity - if he wants to stay in England that is.

Sent from my iPhone using blancmange

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
See 1001 other posts about wanting to keep the man at the club, but in a coaching role or similar. Keeping him linked with us, but letting him go on loan, with ALL his wages being paid by the borrowing club, but coming back to us when he's decided he can't actually play any more - win, win. Why a problem?

Because he has no time for him, and only has a desire to trash him.

If he did have any appreciation for him, he wouldn't say anything so helplessly dumb as to blame him - and Chris Hughton, of course, because he knows how to manage better than CH - for a drop in the club's form over Christmas. The notion of being 'Together' and both winning and losing as a team is lost on BG. No, it was Calde's fault...

I'm so glad BG is nowhere near to running the club in the way he claimed to be in the scouting set-up, and put together a consortium to oust Bill Archer. Heaven help us if his pissed-up, late night lock-in fantasies had come to fruition.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
We still need to replace Nathan Jones, i would hope that the club would have offered Calde the job perhaps even with another years playing contract, however he undoubtedly could still play regularly elsewhere, so if thats his choice good luck to him.

As for BG i really dont have the needed eloquence, you sir are a 1st class tw@t, your ignorance is astonishing, not only for the standard of Spanish football, but for one of the finest servants this football club has seen in many many years.

There is an old saying that has clearly passed you by, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing!

Or maybe (Was it Abraham Lincoln who said) It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm it.(or words to that effect)
That one however is far too late in your case!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From the accounts I have seen, the work he has done with AITC has been superb. Perhaps if he wants to keep playing, we should pay him a retainer so that he can carry on his AITC work providing he gets a playing gig reasonably locally? That way he is still connected with the club if he wants to go into coaching or whatever when his playing days are done. He will be sorely missed geeing up the troops on the sideline whilst "warming up" of course.

This is, of course, assuming that he wants to stay. Maybe he wants to go home for his family?

If he did have any appreciation for him, he wouldn't say anything so helplessly dumb as to blame him - and Chris Hughton, of course, because he knows how to manage better than CH - for a drop in the club's form over Christmas. The notion of being 'Together' and both winning and losing as a team is lost on BG. No, it was Calde's fault...

I'm so glad BG is nowhere near to running the club in the way he claimed to be in the scouting set-up, and put together a consortium to oust Bill Archer. Heaven help us if his pissed-up, late night lock-in fantasies had come to fruition.

Heard a rumour from a Romanian nurse during my chemo in Guildford yesterday that the NHS closed one of the city's hospitals in the 80s and built a new oncology centre, just to get away from his pub.
I think she'd read it somewhere, or maybe I dreamt it all during the treatment, or just embellished the truth a bit/lot. The nurse's husband plays left back for Godalming btw.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Probably a good shout. Sadly, he'd hate it there.

If he rejected the dump that is Gillingham, I can imagine him giving Luton a swerve too. The bloke has far too much class.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This is, of course, assuming that he wants to stay. Maybe he wants to go home for his family?

His family are settled - his two children were born here. That's not to say they won't uproot, but there's an awful lot to keep them here too.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
and Chris Hughton, of course, because he knows how to manage better

In the same way as he has passed on his "biggest p..t on here" award to you, does that mean that Hughton has to pass on his Manager of the Year award to BG?

thumb_55589_default_medium_zps830e1a19.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

In simple terms so that you can understand. I have admiration for what Calderon achieved for us as a player in the past. I do not have adulation as many do as players, managers etc come and go but the club goes on generally. The reason I blame CH for that bad period when we took 6 points out of 27, which started while we were top and undefeated, is because it was obvious to virtually all supporters that Calderon was past being an acceptable cover. CH didnt rate Chicksen so he should have brought in a short term loan to get us over the injury to LR once it became known the expected length of time both him and Bong would be out for. He realised this himself and brought in Ridgewell but this ws too little and too late the damage had been done. Obviously he wasnt available early December when needed but there would have been others. Calderon was thrown into a situation that he couldnt handle for a number of games, he may well have coped for 1 game but age has caught up with him plus not being a natural left back his playing unbalanced the left side of our attacking options which in turn put a damper on us scoring or making the oppotunities. Let me say finally Calderon has been great for us but time and tide wait for no man. I hope that he goes on to play for whatever team he wishes whether that be in England or Spain. If the club chose to keep him as a coach of in some other capacity I have no problem with that but not as a 1st team player. I believe that last season was 1 season too long for him and hope we do not go down the same route and expose Greer and Bruno when their time comes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Heard a rumour from a Romanian nurse during my chemo in Guildford yesterday that the NHS closed one of the city's hospitals in the 80s and built a new oncology centre, just to get away from his pub.
I think she'd read it somewhere, or maybe I dreamt it all during the treatment, or just embellished the truth a bit/lot. The nurse's husband plays left back for Godalming btw.

St Lukes was earmarked for closure long before I took my pub but due to financial pressure the nurses training program was cancelled and as a result the site was sold for housing around 1990 time . Your left back at Godalming would be playing for the people who 'robbed' Guildford City.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
In simple terms so that you can understand. I have admiration for what Calderon achieved for us as a player in the past. I do not have adulation as many do as players, managers etc come and go but the club goes on generally. The reason I blame CH for that bad period when we took 6 points out of 27, which started while we were top and undefeated, is because it was obvious to virtually all supporters that Calderon was past being an acceptable cover. CH didnt rate Chicksen so he should have brought in a short term loan to get us over the injury to LR once it became known the expected length of time both him and Bong would be out for. He realised this himself and brought in Ridgewell but this ws too little and too late the damage had been done. Obviously he wasnt available early December when needed but there would have been others. Calderon was thrown into a situation that he couldnt handle for a number of games, he may well have coped for 1 game but age has caught up with him plus not being a natural left back his playing unbalanced the left side of our attacking options which in turn put a damper on us scoring or making the oppotunities. Let me say finally Calderon has been great for us but time and tide wait for no man. I hope that he goes on to play for whatever team he wishes whether that be in England or Spain. If the club chose to keep him as a coach of in some other capacity I have no problem with that but not as a 1st team player. I believe that last season was 1 season too long for him and hope we do not go down the same route and expose Greer and Bruno when their time comes.

I am one of the few who agree with that he wasn't good enough when he played this season. We need to sign a new LB to compete with Bong for that position - people suggesting we give him another playing contract is ridiculous.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I am one of the few who agree with that he wasn't good enough when he played this season. We need to sign a new LB to compete with Bong for that position - people suggesting we give him another playing contract is ridiculous.
I don't agree. He is the perfect utility player to have on the bench or in the squad as emergency cover. Whilst he doesn't warrant a starting place or even backup for any position, having an experienced player that can cover many positions in an emergency in the short term who also happens to be popular with fans and the team as well as doing immense work in the community is not a bad idea to me. It may not be a great idea to others. But the one thing it is not is ridiculous. And is unlikely to make that much of a hole in the budget. Until we have a DS team we are not afraid to use in emergencies, we need the odd player like Calde in the squad.

Edit - especially with no more emergency loans. A bit like Ankergren has been the last couple of years - an experienced backup plan. Whether Calde himself wants to do this is another matter.

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This is what you wrote...

This is what I read...

mzl.hwjcezkn.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here