Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Clubs eye Calderon after Brighton exit'

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
In simple terms so that you can understand. I have admiration for what Calderon achieved for us as a player in the past. I do not have adulation as many do as players, managers etc come and go but the club goes on generally. The reason I blame CH for that bad period when we took 6 points out of 27, which started while we were top and undefeated, is because it was obvious to virtually all supporters that Calderon was past being an acceptable cover. CH didnt rate Chicksen so he should have brought in a short term loan to get us over the injury to LR once it became known the expected length of time both him and Bong would be out for. He realised this himself and brought in Ridgewell but this ws too little and too late the damage had been done. Obviously he wasnt available early December when needed but there would have been others.

The only problem with that was Rosenior got injured on 28th November, 3 days after the emergency loan window closed, so CH was powerless to bring anyone in until the January transfer window opened. Obviously CH could have looked for cover at LB due to Bongs injury but we were very unlucky to lose 2 very good left backs, who would have walked into most starting 11's in this division, in just over a month. Would we have found anyone any good willing to move on an emergency loan and sit on the bench just in case Liam Rosenior got injured? LR deserved his chance in the side and didn't put a foot wrong.

We certainly didn't have our bad spell just because Calderon was covering left back there were many other factors too.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Calderon is a tough one to call. With no emergency loan system this year squads will have to set up for 4 month stints with no options of adding to the squad to cover injuries. The loan system does seem a bit stranger this year with loan players being allowed to play for their parent clubs u21 side if there not getting games at their loan club. But either way I'm not a great fan of loans.

With Chicksen likely to be gone I think we will be looking for a genuine LB to compete with Bong. Calderon could be kept as 5th choice whilst he continues coaching roles. If we are down to the bones he could play. Likewise LC games and maybe FA cup games as well. If really whether he wants to be that far down the pecking order

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only problem with that was Rosenior got injured on 28th November, 3 days after the emergency loan window closed, so CH was powerless to bring anyone in until the January transfer window opened. Obviously CH could have looked for cover at LB due to Bongs injury but we were very unlucky to lose 2 very good left backs, who would have walked into most starting 11's in this division, in just over a month. Would we have found anyone any good willing to move on an emergency loan and sit on the bench just in case Liam Rosenior got injured? LR deserved his chance in the side and didn't put a foot wrong.

We certainly didn't have our bad spell just because Calderon was covering left back there were many other factors too.

Obviously not rating Chicksen consideration of a possible injury or red card for LR must or should have been on the agenda as a distinct possibility. He is the one that should have been replaced as I have said on a months loan prior to deadline day but CH publicly said he was happy with the cover he had meaning Calderon and Chicksen. The signing of Chicksen was not CH fault.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't believe Calde would swap his (and his family's) Brighton life for anywhere else in the UK. Purely temporary assignment at Crawley looks about the likeliest outcome, with our Basque hero returning to the Albion fold in some paid capacity. Fantastic ambassador for the club. On the downside though, we already have a lot of those, and every one of them is an absolute gem. Can we make room for one more? Truly, madly, deeply, sincerely hope so.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As far as Left backs are concerned, I'm not concerned about how much covering for the cover there should be if the cover for the cover gets crocked. Personally, I think if you've got two players for each position, that is a reasonable requirement for a squad - and that's more than we've had in CM or up front this season!

On the subject of left backs, however, I think there should be a special award for the best THIRD CHOICE left back in the division. I nominate Calde - anybody suggest any other teams with a better THIRD CHOICE left back?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon we'll offer him another year but it'll be as last pick and he'll know it's just for cup football and emergencies.

I suspect he'll be wanting more games and if Jones offers him something, or Crawley, Millwall, Orient or Wimbledon come calling he'll take the move just to play the game.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He was genuinely below the level required in almost all of his performances this season, but I love the guy and I'll remember him for the excellent performances in his earlier Albion career more than the poorer ones, particularly at left-back, this season. He brings such joy, passion and commitment to the shirt, and I'd hope to see him back in some capacity later in his life.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I reckon we'll offer him another year but it'll be as last pick and he'll know it's just for cup football and emergencies.

I suspect he'll be wanting more games and if Jones offers him something, or Crawley, Millwall, Orient or Wimbledon come calling he'll take the move just to play the game.

what would he will make of Luton compared to Brighton. lol

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally I was disappointed he didn't get any game time last night, he would have given the crowd another lift near the end and we know he would have given his all as he has always done.

Plus he does have a knack of being in the right place at the right time in the opposition's penalty area.

I'm sure if he does go he will be back one day in a non-playing capacity.

Absolutely. Would have made more impact than KLL thats for sure.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I can understand not giving him a playing contract but surely keeping him here on the coaching staff is something we should be looking to do? He does so much for AITC and is clearly an admired and respected member of the dressing room. Feels like we'd be making a mistake letting him go completely.

EDIT: Hadn't considered he may want to continue playing. Also, please don't go Calde.

He wants to continue playing

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
As far as Left backs are concerned, I'm not concerned about how much covering for the cover there should be if the cover for the cover gets crocked. Personally, I think if you've got two players for each position, that is a reasonable requirement for a squad - and that's more than we've had in CM or up front this season!

On the subject of left backs, however, I think there should be a special award for the best THIRD CHOICE left back in the division. I nominate Calde - anybody suggest any other teams with a better THIRD CHOICE left back?

Calde is a fantastic third choice championship player in every position.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think Mrs Calde may have an opinion on what happens next, just a hunch......

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Calde is unique for a footballer, and probably has some very difficult choices to make. One thing for sure his talents and qualifications as a Sports Psychologist and Teacher should not be lost to BHA and it's Academy and aspirations.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Demonstrating your football nouse in one sentence. The same Rea that was released yesterday? :)
But did he get offered anything ? Did he choose a different option elsewhere ? Maybe he has something lined up to sign in July ???

Questions, questions...

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But did he get offered anything ? Did he choose a different option elsewhere ? Maybe he has something lined up to sign in July ???

Questions, questions...
Sorry, I realise my reply may have looked a bit rude on reflection. just struck me as funny which was what I was meaning. I guess he wants to play football somewhere.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Calde is still probably good enough to be a back up full back or an emergency winger.

Couple that with his love of the club and community work, being a popular figure within the team and with fans and his lovely hair, I think a one-year extension should be offered.

Whether he accepts is up to him, knowing he likely won't get much game time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here