Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is sadly all a bit embarrassing for Chris. The players have done him up like a kipper.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair play to Cooper, he's performing a miracle at Forest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bit harsh. Manager decides tactics, picks the teams and has to motivate them.

Agreed. But from the outside looking in, it would appear the old adage of "he's lost the dressing room" applies here. Its the same group of players who (literally overnight) have kicked on since CH got the boot.

Cooper has clearly done an excellent job, but there has to be an element of players downing tools under Hughton. Perhaps they'd lost belief in him, in his methods. Whatever it was, the astonishing transformation since CH left does not reflect well on him.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Agreed. But from the outside looking in, it would appear the old adage of "he's lost the dressing room" applies here. Its the same group of players who (literally overnight) have kicked on since CH got the boot.

Cooper has clearly done an excellent job, but there has to be an element of players downing tools under Hughton. Perhaps they'd lost belief in him, in his methods. Whatever it was, the astonishing transformation since CH left does not reflect well on him.

I completely agree with this. He’s an excellent manager but clearly made an enemy of one or two in the dressing room that had influence.

Hughton’s football in the Championship was brilliant to watch so I’m surprised players and fans didn’t give him some respect. It’s certainly made me feel less of Forest. Cooper’s football will bore them soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I completely agree with this. He’s an excellent manager but clearly made an enemy of one or two in the dressing room that had influence.

Hughton’s football in the Championship was brilliant to watch so I’m surprised players and fans didn’t give him some respect. It’s certainly made me feel less of Forest. Cooper’s football will bore them soon enough.

The football at BHA under Hughton when he took over in January was absolutely dire. It was enough to dig us out of a hole and keep us up, but by the end of that half-season I can recall there were plenty who wanted him moved on, despite the fact he'd got us organised after the Hyppia debacle and had 'mission accomplished' in keeping us up. The football only became brilliant after he started afresh with backing from TB to make a push for promotion. 2 years of Championship brilliance followed.

With Forest, he took over in October following a mediocre start under the previous manager (under whom they'd just dramatically blown the playoffs on the last day, hence his rapid binning). And he guided them to an underwhelming 17th. He wasn't helped by the fact that Forest had sold the crown jewels without replacing them, but when this season then started in similar ilk, the writing was on the wall before long. The forums were rammed with complaints about the terrible, cautious style of football. Chris couldn't buy a win.

Now the new bloke has come in and seemingly revolutionised things, they can't stop winning. Chris wasn't properly backed by the owners, they made naff-all in signings, so he reverted to type and set up every week not to lose - and we all know full well how THAT looks.

I feel sorry for him, as I think once he hit that slope, he lost the players and he lost the fans. That said, I'm sure his bank balance did ok out of it all.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Forest romping.

Pld 4
W 3
D 1
L 0
F 9
A 2
GD +7
PTS 10

Who said they didn't have a good squad???

Certainly not me. As I've said all along: that squad should be comfortably midtable and if they get the right coach in, they will get there. And that looks to be the case.

Steve Cooper is no gung-ho manager who fancy sexy football, but he knows that the best way of getting anywhere in the Championship is to attack it.

Others however...:shrug:

I’ve watched the game , nothing to do with Hughtons tactics

Forest just have shit players

A
League 1 bound who ever is in charge.

I don't agree that Forest have a mid-table squad. Middlesbrough ARE a mid-table squad and totally turned them over last night at The City Ground.

Forest are a basket case of a club with a poor squad and little hope of staying up whoever is at the reigns.

Having worked with the likes of Barber & Bloom, it seemed odd that he’d linked up with the shower that runs Forest.

He transformed a shit Brighton squad but with no help from the Forest board, he has a weaker squad than last year. They’d struggle to survive, even with someone like Dyche or Klopp. I’m a little saddened Chris was given first dibs on the likes of Khadra, Sima or Clarke.

:lolol:

And obviously [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION], but that goes without saying. If Chris Hughton took a shit on their carpets, they'd say its because he is too good to use their toilet.

Sure they did.

If you tell your players "sit back on your own half and defend and just hoof it forward any time you get the ball" you also tell them "I have no belief in you and all our opponents are much better than we are". Constantly talking about "strengthening the squad" while also talking up the opponents. If you want people to be seriously annoyed with your leadership, its the way to go. If the players "downed their tools", its his fault.

All this said, Chris Hughtons manager record says he is a good manager overall. There can be no doubt about that. But even great managers can fail sometimes. The way a lot of people twisted reality because they thought it was impossible that CH could fail with anything anywhere was just very silly though.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

My brother-in-law is a Forest season ticket holder, speaking to him at the weekend he gave the impression CH never really had the fans behind him either - he described him as being a bit transactional and killing momentum in every game by not allowing players to manage the play right from when he first joined, and that lack of trust quickly affected performances. Go 1 up and the players would be told to defend for the rest of the game even if they were clearly on top, going 1 down would mean going for an equaliser then defending for the rest of the game even if the momentum was with them. A bit of a mismatch between fans and maybe players who want a bit of passion and adventure and a playing style that was conservative and safety-first.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
images.jpeg.jpg

It's coming up to HALLOWEEN!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Another win for the Tricky Trees tonight, 2-1 away to Bristol City. Now into the top half after an absolutely dreadful start to the season.

What an end to the game. Forest were 1-0 down going into stoppage time before Lyle Taylor coolly converted a penalty and then stole in at the back post a minute later to show his class and Forest's resilience. Steve Cooper is doing an incredible job. They're on an amazing run now - five league wins in a row. Their best since 1995. What a great addition to the Premier they would make. *

* There. I've jinxed them, like I do with every team. :lol:

Don't expect Forest to grace the Premier League yet awhile. I'm not saying Steve Cooper hasn't started to turn things around, because yes of course he has, but it's still very early days, green shoots and all that, plus a touch of new manager syndrome perhaps.

Lets revisit this and see how they are doing at Christmas and then we'll have a much better idea of their true progress.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Certainly not me. As I've said all along: that squad should be comfortably midtable and if they get the right coach in, they will get there. And that looks to be the case.

Steve Cooper is no gung-ho manager who fancy sexy football, but he knows that the best way of getting anywhere in the Championship is to attack it.

Others however...:shrug:

:lolol:

And obviously [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION], but that goes without saying. If Chris Hughton took a shit on their carpets, they'd say its because he is too good to use their toilet.

Sure they did.

If you tell your players "sit back on your own half and defend and just hoof it forward any time you get the ball" you also tell them "I have no belief in you and all our opponents are much better than we are". Constantly talking about "strengthening the squad" while also talking up the opponents. If you want people to be seriously annoyed with your leadership, its the way to go. If the players "downed their tools", its his fault.

All this said, Chris Hughtons manager record says he is a good manager overall. There can be no doubt about that. But even great managers can fail sometimes. The way a lot of people twisted reality because they thought it was impossible that CH could fail with anything anywhere was just very silly though.

.... and you give the impression you just love it that Mr Hughton failed. Give it a break eh? Bloke is a legend for what he did for us (you know, Brighton fans), I don't care if he has failed before or after us (and there is no dispute he failed at Forest). I only put people on "ignore" who have racist or ugly opinions, rather than just those I disagree with, but your constant digs at Hughton are tiresome (and however you dress it up with other compliments to him your underlying opinion always comes through).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
.... and you give the impression you just love it that Mr Hughton failed. Give it a break eh? Bloke is a legend for what he did for us (you know, Brighton fans), I don't care if he has failed before or after us (and there is no dispute he failed at Forest). I only put people on "ignore" who have racist or ugly opinions, rather than just those I disagree with, but your constant digs at Hughton are tiresome (and however you dress it up with other compliments to him your underlying opinion always comes through).

What I love is that people adamant that I was wrong and the Nottingham situation wouldnt improve regardless of what happened now get to eat their attitude.

This thread is about Hughtons work at Nottingham and you are right, I take digs at Hughtons work at Nottingham. If you want to avoid it, perhaps avoid the subject itself as his Nottingham tenure did not go well.

My not particularly underlying but rather openly stated opinion is that he did a shit job in Forest but overall has done a lot of good work in his career. If you want to read something else into it, be my guest but what I say is what I mean.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
What I love is that people adamant that I was wrong and the Nottingham situation wouldnt improve regardless of what happened now get to eat their attitude.

This thread is about Hughtons work at Nottingham and you are right, I take digs at Hughtons work at Nottingham. If you want to avoid it, perhaps avoid the subject itself as his Nottingham tenure did not go well.

My not particularly underlying but rather openly stated opinion is that he did a shit job in Forest but overall has done a lot of good work in his career. If you want to read something else into it, be my guest but what I say is what I mean.

aha, one doesn't like to be wrong so one goes on and on about it. I'm often wrong, oh well, how sad, never mind.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

You actually have a dig at CH in more issues than that - In fact in one post you even tried to insinuate that he had virtually destroyed Jose Izquierdo's career by playing him when he was not fully fit before I had to point out that a player does not allowed to play without a Doctor giving the ''go ahead'' to do so.

To be honest, I don't give a f~ckin sh!t about your opinion of CH but don't forget that any success that Graham Potter has at Brighton was facilitated in part by what CH had helped build at the Club - Brighton may not have made the PL without the players that he brought to the Club to get them there.

As for his time at Forest - What changed what he did at Brighton were the players he brought to the Club. All of the outfield player Forest signed were made on 31st August all 9 of them - Only 2 were fully fit to play before CH was sacked on 16th September so he never got to play the players he brought in before being sacked. Who knows if the new players brought in would have helped the situation but CH wasn't given the opportunity to find out. The new Manager has CH's signings to choose from.

Personally, he is better off out of Forest ; I have tried to stay out of these arguments as much as I can because they serve no purpose but please don't try to claim that you don't constantly have a dig at him because you do.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

You are way off the mark, in my opinion. Looks to me like Swanny called it exactly right at Forest. And as for "constant digs at Hughton", I think you are being delusional.

Chris Hughton is one of Albion's greatest-ever managers. Chris Hughton failed at Forest.

Both those statements are true, and as this is primarily a football forum, I completely fail to understand why some people get so upset when people dare to discuss the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here