Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
who knows - win the FA Cup or League Cup ... get into C League ... though the closer he gets to one of these more likely to be gone elsewhere ...

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You actually have a dig at CH in more issues than that - In fact in one post you even tried to insinuate that he had virtually destroyed Jose Izquierdo's career by playing him when he was not fully fit before I had to point out that a player does not allowed to play without a Doctor giving the ''go ahead'' to do so.

To be honest, I don't give a f~ckin sh!t about your opinion of CH but don't forget that any success that Graham Potter has at Brighton was facilitated in part by what CH had helped build at the Club - Brighton may not have made the PL without the players that he brought to the Club to get them there.

As for his time at Forest - What changed what he did at Brighton were the players he brought to the Club. All of the outfield player Forest signed were made on 31st August all 9 of them - Only 2 were fully fit to play before CH was sacked on 16th September so he never got to play the players he brought in before being sacked. Who knows if the new players brought in would have helped the situation but CH wasn't given the opportunity to find out. The new Manager has CH's signings to choose from.

Personally, he is better off out of Forest ; I have tried to stay out of these arguments as much as I can because they serve no purpose but please don't try to claim that you don't constantly have a dig at him because you do.

I think you hit the nail on the head here -

It has to be said that Hughton’s time at Forest did not go well - but he was basically hung out to dry by the Forest board.

Yes - Cooper has done well since taking over but Forest are still a basket case - and Cooper has had five key players a available to him that Hughton didn’t have for most of his games this season.

I do think Forest will struggle as the season progresses and teams get know Cooper’s tactics - but it is also the case that unlike in the PL - the gap between a top 6 team and being bottom 6 in the Championship is not that big

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
he will still be the manager that took us to PL for first time long after GP and his followers have all left us ...

Football didn't start in 1992. CH is the second manager to take us to the top flight.

I am probably what you call a GP follower in respect of managers but I was here long before CH and will hopefully be here long after GP has moved on.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
You are way off the mark, in my opinion. Looks to me like Swanny called it exactly right at Forest. And as for "constant digs at Hughton", I think you are being delusional.

Chris Hughton is one of Albion's greatest-ever managers. Chris Hughton failed at Forest.

Both those statements are true, and as this is primarily a football forum, I completely fail to understand why some people get so upset when people dare to discuss the latter.

Not upset about messages on a forum at all. However, politely disagree, I am not delusional about Swansmum's attitude towards Hughton in many threads not just this one. (And no i cannot be bothered to show examples, life is too short). Anyway, no worries.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
WOW!

Just seen that Forest are now 8th, that is some turnaround

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Thought it was strange him* jumping from Swansea who just missed out on promotion to go to a troubled Forest, he obviously know what he's doing! Learned it all at Porth mad dog.
* Steve Cooper

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately shows just how bad Hughton was. Got it badly wrong.

What it shows is how much is down to players. At the end of the day, when they take the field, as pros no matter what the tactics they should be giving 100% - once a club has a record of hiring and firing, gives players a lot of power to down tools, which is what happened at Watford for them to be relegated, seems to happen at Everton given they go from being great to awful at the drop of a hat, and almost certainly happened at Forest.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What it shows is how much is down to players. At the end of the day, when they take the field, as pros no matter what the tactics they should be giving 100% - once a club has a record of hiring and firing, gives players a lot of power to down tools, which is what happened at Watford for them to be relegated, seems to happen at Everton given they go from being great to awful at the drop of a hat, and almost certainly happened at Forest.

Indeed, l don't think that the reason for Forest's dismal performances can be laid 100% at Hughton's door. Irrespective of how good or bad a manager can be, if the players dont agree with the tactics, or don't like that man as a person, then it is never going to work.

On another day, at another club Chris Hughton may well do very well. If he chooses to dip his toes into managerial water again, then we will get the chance to find out. But even if he decides that retirement is his best option, then he has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Indeed, l don't think that the reason for Forest's dismal performances can be laid 100% at Hughton's door. Irrespective of how good or bad a manager can be, if the players dont agree with the tactics, or don't like that man as a person, then it is never going to work.

On another day, at another club Chris Hughton may well do very well. If he chooses to dip his toes into managerial water again, then we will get the chance to find out. But even if he decides that retirement is his best option, then he has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone.

It is never 100% down to the manager. At Nottingham it was obvious that the players didnt buy into his ideas; the results in his first season didnt convince them that it was something they wanted to keep doing. To play a kind of football that isnt fun to play while also losing is going to make things turn ugly real quick.

Agree in a different environment, things can be different, he would be a good manager for most teams. Linked to the Ipswich job recently and that would probably be a good fit.

As for Nottingham, as I said all along: they have a good squad and should be somewhere midtable or even in the upper half and I could see them challenge for playoff places.

Thought it was strange him* jumping from Swansea who just missed out on promotion to go to a troubled Forest, he obviously know what he's doing! Learned it all at Porth mad dog.
* Steve Cooper

Was no surprise to me. Left Swansea for similar reasons Potter did: it is a club with very limited resources and owners who only want to squeeze out some money from their failed investment. Coopers success was a lot down to his contacts, he had won the U17 World Cup with England and loaned several of those players to his Swansea team but thats not really a sustainable way to build a team. He'll have some more money to play with at Nottingham.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Blimey, the last few posts seem to be trying to rewrite history!

Of course it isn't 100% down to the manager but it is most certainly the vast majority of it. Players don't down tools just because they have a personality clash and let's be honest, CH doesn't have a track record of overseeing rebellious dressing rooms so that leaves tactics and motivation.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
CH has had his day, and whilst no one can take away his achievements, his tenure at Forest was horrible.
Time to pack it in, but then again, I really cannot see many/any clubs of ambition seeking his services anyway.
It has been packed in for him.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The days of teams trying to keep it tight at the back and score on the break are done. It's the same reason why Mourinho is now a busted flush at the top level.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Unbelievable results from Nottingham Forest since Hughton left. Same players
Bit late in responding to this - couldn't get into my account.

Not the same players -

Comparing the last game under Hughton and the most recent Forest game - there were 7 of the 11 available to Hughton (including Hughton missing Samba).

Hughton was sold a pig in a poke by the Forest ownership - gutting the squad over the summer and then not replacing them. Six players were signed in the last couple of days before the closing of the transfer window - including key players on loan - Garner and Spence. Forest has a horrific run of injuries at the start of the season - to the point that Hughton onlly had 16 players available for one game. Hughton was just getting the players back to fitness when he was sacked.

Now - Forest under Hughton this season had a horrific run of form - losing 6 from 7 - 5 of those losses were against teams currently in the top 9 in the Championship (and three of those are in the top 6). After Hughton was sacked Forest beat an injury-ravaged Huddersfield. Cooper was lucky that he pretty much had a full squad to work with - they won three of his first four - against teams in the bottom 8, before getting absolutely hammered by Fulham.

Now - it is clear from a Forest perspective that it was the right decision - the team under Hughton had got in a rut and completely lost confidence. One win could have changed that - unfortunately for Hughton it happened after he was sacked. Cooper has done very well - but nobody should be under any illusions - the Forest team is very limited and there is a big gap between them and the top six talent-wise (with the possible exception of QPR). Furthermore - they are totally reliant on the loan signings - Zinckernagel, Lowe, Garner, Spence and Osei-Tutu - all of whom were brought in by Hughton (and 3 of them got injured as soon as they arrived). Take those five out and Forest would be relegated.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
CH has had his day, and whilst no one can take away his achievements, his tenure at Forest was horrible.
Time to pack it in, but then again, I really cannot see many/any clubs of ambition seeking his services anyway.
It has been packed in for him.

Hughton, Pulis and Alladyce all from the same school of tactics imho and all out of work, left behind by the evolving game.

Non are actually purely long ball, they can all attack, but they are all defense first, getting ball into areas and trying to play % football.

All can be effective in getting results, they have all had champagne seasons of decent football, but more often its turgid defensive dross and fans dont want that type of football

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bit late in responding to this - couldn't get into my account.

Not the same players -

Comparing the last game under Hughton and the most recent Forest game - there were 7 of the 11 available to Hughton (including Hughton missing Samba).

Hughton was sold a pig in a poke by the Forest ownership - gutting the squad over the summer and then not replacing them. Six players were signed in the last couple of days before the closing of the transfer window - including key players on loan - Garner and Spence. Forest has a horrific run of injuries at the start of the season - to the point that Hughton onlly had 16 players available for one game. Hughton was just getting the players back to fitness when he was sacked.

Now - Forest under Hughton this season had a horrific run of form - losing 6 from 7 - 5 of those losses were against teams currently in the top 9 in the Championship (and three of those are in the top 6). After Hughton was sacked Forest beat an injury-ravaged Huddersfield. Cooper was lucky that he pretty much had a full squad to work with - they won three of his first four - against teams in the bottom 8, before getting absolutely hammered by Fulham.

Now - it is clear from a Forest perspective that it was the right decision - the team under Hughton had got in a rut and completely lost confidence. One win could have changed that - unfortunately for Hughton it happened after he was sacked. Cooper has done very well - but nobody should be under any illusions - the Forest team is very limited and there is a big gap between them and the top six talent-wise (with the possible exception of QPR). Furthermore - they are totally reliant on the loan signings - Zinckernagel, Lowe, Garner, Spence and Osei-Tutu - all of whom were brought in by Hughton (and 3 of them got injured as soon as they arrived). Take those five out and Forest would be relegated.

:schelotto:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here