Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chesterfield say congrats......

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't blame them really.

We had no compassion for them and just rubbed it in their faces with all the brown envelopes. I understand why that happend, they were our title rivals that season and there was a bit of ill feeling between us before any of the contractual stuff came out. Quite similar to our short rivalries with Reading when we were battling for the title, and Saints this season.

We probably should have taken a step back and thought about the fans. You don't see us laying into Plymouth over their admin and it does seem quite easy to pick and choose which club in crisis to support and which to show no support to. If we'd had fans mocking us when the Goldstone saga was going on I suspect we may hold a grudge too.

Have you seen how much hatred there is on that site for us?

It was of their doing-nobody else's. Clubs in Crisis was not set up to cuddle fans of clubs who tried to cheat their way up the table. Also, you clearly don't remember their rendition of "We're the real champions". That, despite the fact that we still finished clear of them if they had been given all of their points back. Their fans deserved every bit of abuse that night. They were also one of the few clubs to goad us over the Goldstone and are still doing it now on that forum, along with the usual homophobic shite.

It's a horrible, shit hole of a place, inhabited by a bunch of neanderthals. I dislike everything about Chesterfield, especially after one night game there-almost never made it to the ground thanks to gangs of troglodytes out 'queer bashing'. That meant anybody from Brighton. Hope they crash and burn next season and keep going into the Blue Square.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I dislike everything about Chesterfield, especially after one night game there-almost never made it to the ground thanks to gangs of troglodytes out 'queer bashing'. That meant anybody from Brighton. Hope they crash and burn next season and keep going into the Blue Square.

They're not the most broad-minded bunch, that's for sure. But I do have a few good friends up there, too. None of whom support the football club :lolol:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I had no idea they still harboured a grudge, I'm only even aware of how they're doing because of the unlikely goalscoring exploits of Craig Davies.

One thing, though. My recollection of it was that the points deduction had yet to be even ratified when we beat them 1-0, so the points had not even come off yet. We beat them to the title before the points deduction could make a difference one way or another.

Or did I dream that?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I had no idea they still harboured a grudge, I'm only even aware of how they're doing because of the unlikely goalscoring exploits of Craig Davies.

One thing, though. My recollection of it was that the points deduction had yet to be even ratified when we beat them 1-0, so the points had not even come off yet. We beat them to the title before the points deduction could make a difference one way or another.

Or did I dream that?

Think you're wrong there, mate, I seem to remember the points deduction rattling them. Either way, we blew them away and the points deduction mattered for nothing.

Good meeting you the other night, btw :thumbsup:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Likewise old boy. I thought they'd had it announced they were going to have the points off, subject to ratification. Then the points came off but by then it was too late. Ho-hum, matters not now. It's odd to be the object of such ire without even knowing it, though. Perhaps if we'd shared a division with them more often lately we may have spotted it.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Likewise old boy. I thought they'd had it announced they were going to have the points off, subject to ratification. Then the points came off but by then it was too late. Ho-hum, matters not now. It's odd to be the object of such ire without even knowing it, though. Perhaps if we'd shared a division with them more often lately we may have spotted it.

Maybe you're right. Could have been the prospect of a points deduction that got them rattled. It's funny up there, though – they really do still hate us. It's another of football's funny hatreds – I've just told the boys in my office about it and they think it's hilarious!

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
"We're the real Champions"...erm, no you're not. You're horrible cheating fuckwads. I'm still amazed that they were allowed to go up that year but when did the FA ever have balls?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I remember Bobby Zamora once scored a goal for us by kicking the ball out of the goalies hands. Was that against Chesterfield the season after in League 1?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1772048.stm

Yep I was right. Except the Championship wasn't around then so the league that we are now just about to leave was still called league 2 then. Get in there Bobby lad. The BBC article didn't do the goal justice Bobby literally kicked the ball out of the keepers hands while he lay on the floor after catching a corner or something while the refs back was turned.

Gooooaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllll to the Albion.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't blame them really.

We had no compassion for them and just rubbed it in their faces with all the brown envelopes. I understand why that happend, they were our title rivals that season and there was a bit of ill feeling between us before any of the contractual stuff came out. Quite similar to our short rivalries with Reading when we were battling for the title, and Saints this season.

We probably should have taken a step back and thought about the fans. You don't see us laying into Plymouth over their admin and it does seem quite easy to pick and choose which club in crisis to support and which to show no support to. If we'd had fans mocking us when the Goldstone saga was going on I suspect we may hold a grudge too.

Yeah l endorse most of what you say, l too feel sorry for the Chesterfield fans. l suspect though, that the only reason we arent 'laying into Plymouth' as you put it, is because they are at the wrong end of the table, and no threat to our promotion plans.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We probably should have taken a step back and thought about the fans. You don't see us laying into Plymouth over their admin and it does seem quite easy to pick and choose which club in crisis to support and which to show no support to.

Plymouth - Owners took a gamble on the world cup campaign helping them meet the finances that they couldn't meet on their own, hamstrung by what is a great catchment area, but has an apparent low interest in football. Haven't found huge success by buying players they couldn't afford in the hopes the players would bring the success that could afford them, with the major problem being cash flow rather than assets supposedly. And when they were in trouble they actually started selling their players and went into admin as a last resort and are continually under threat of going completely belly up, adminiistrations have had little defending from the fans, but support and a desire to not see their club die

Chesterfield - (as far as I recall) Made illegal payments to entice players who wouldn't otherwise join them, enjoyed the fruits of that labour, got to the top of the league and their "crisis" was having 9 points deducted. No threat of admin. No threat of winding up. And the fans were unrepentant and defended their owners. And they still went up despite the point deduction.

I think that might be why people aren't laying in to plymouth and have no sympathy for chesterfield.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah l endorse most of what you say, l too feel sorry for the Chesterfield fans. l suspect though, that the only reason we arent 'laying into Plymouth' as you put it, is because they are at the wrong end of the table, and no threat to our promotion plans.
Are you clinically insane?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

There's a significant difference between Plymouth and Chesterfield, Plymouth didn't cheat per se whereas you know who clearly did.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I remember going there in about 2002 with my 13 year old son (at the time).

We got beer bottles launched at us 3 hours before kick off in their main high street, there was some bad abuse thrown at us sitting in the seats, and a broody mob of chavs waiting for us outside the ground when we left the ground.

IMHO a deeply unpleasant place, with even more unpleasant 'chippy' supporters.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I thyink Turkeys right to just reflect on it as history and not get too hyped up about it.

Chesterfield cheated and we took the piss out of them - they'll still hurt by it - why should we care? If they want to hold a grudge that's up to them. Brighton and going onto much better things.

For what it's worth well done Chesterfield for getting promoted on merit.

Amazed so many emotions are running so high on this issue!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

(As long as they don't go bust and we lose our points ;) )

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Plymouth - Owners took a gamble on the world cup campaign helping them meet the finances that they couldn't meet on their own, hamstrung by what is a great catchment area, but has an apparent low interest in football. Haven't found huge success by buying players they couldn't afford in the hopes the players would bring the success that could afford them, with the major problem being cash flow rather than assets supposedly. And when they were in trouble they actually started selling their players and went into admin as a last resort and are continually under threat of going completely belly up, adminiistrations have had little defending from the fans, but support and a desire to not see their club die

Chesterfield - (as far as I recall) Made illegal payments to entice players who wouldn't otherwise join them, enjoyed the fruits of that labour, got to the top of the league and their "crisis" was having 9 points deducted. No threat of admin. No threat of winding up. And the fans were unrepentant and defended their owners. And they still went up despite the point deduction.

I think that might be why people aren't laying in to plymouth and have no sympathy for chesterfield.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I thought a lot of Chesterfield fans were total c*nts at the time! They certainly did appear unrepentant and so on. They fully deserved the points deduction and that in itself wasnt a crisis. However deluded or unrepentant their fans were at the time though, they were run by a crook, who ended up in jail for the fraud commited. A number of their fans may not have cottoned on to it straight away although they certainly did in the end.

I also fully get the support for Plymouth. I wish them well too. There have been so many clubs in a financial mess though and a lot of the time I think there's an attitude of, if it effects us, f*** em, the bloody cheats, if it doesn't, oh dear, poor club, wish them well. Perhaps not always just effecting us, sometimes it can just be based on if we like that club or not!

Perhaps I'm a little swayed by my last trip up to Saltergate too. Recall going up in the Hineymobile in the Play-off season and Iwelumo scoring a screamer. It was a great night and had a good time in a local pub too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here