Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chesterfield say congrats......

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You'll have to remind me... Did we try and get them kicked out of the league? I know we were quite smug at the time and our ire was directed at the owners, not the fans.

We Chesterfield at war with their own board? I can't recall any sort of fan action from them, but I await to be corrected.

Yoda

English & European
Nothing like hold a grudge because we won the league ahead of them. Oh, wait, didn't we do that without their points deduction too. :dunce:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I was genuinely shocked when I read that thread on the Chesterfield board. It seems they've been hating us for 10 years and we haven't even noticed!

As I remember it, what happened that season was that that they ran away with the league for the early part of the season. Then it emerged their chairman was a cheat who'd been bunging players brown envelope payments on top of their official wages.

They had a load of points deducted which put us top. But - as the season went on we racked up enough points to have won the league even without their points deduction. We clinched it in the game against them at Withdean with Danny Cullip scoring the only goal on what was a great night.

I cannot understand why they hate us. They cheated, they got promoted anyway, the league table says we won it fair and square. We took the piss out of them of course that night ("We're top - and we didn't cheat") but no worse than most banter.

Strange bunch of angry and bitter fans they seem to have.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's cool cos I still hate the tin pot cheating c**ts myself to be honest and would be delighted if they went bust and their shitty plastic shoebox "stadium" went unused forever more.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I was genuinely shocked when I read that thread on the Chesterfield board. It seems they've been hating us for 10 years and we haven't even noticed!

As I remember it, what happened that season was that that they ran away with the league for the early part of the season. Then it emerged their chairman was a cheat who'd been bunging players brown envelope payments on top of their official wages.

They had a load of points deducted which put us top. But - as the season went on we racked up enough points to have won the league even without their points deduction. We clinched it in the game against them at Withdean with Danny Cullip scoring the only goal on what was a great night.

I cannot understand why they hate us. They cheated, they got promoted anyway, the league table says we won it fair and square. We took the piss out of them of course that night ("We're top - and we didn't cheat") but no worse than most banter.

I watched that game from the trees, good times :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bunch of wankstains-still think they were the real champions. Maths not taught near the appropriately named Crooked Spire.

I don't ever recall us calling for them to be kicked out of the league-legitimate points deduction yes but no more than that.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't blame them really.

We had no compassion for them and just rubbed it in their faces with all the brown envelopes. I understand why that happend, they were our title rivals that season and there was a bit of ill feeling between us before any of the contractual stuff came out. Quite similar to our short rivalries with Reading when we were battling for the title, and Saints this season.

We probably should have taken a step back and thought about the fans. You don't see us laying into Plymouth over their admin and it does seem quite easy to pick and choose which club in crisis to support and which to show no support to. If we'd had fans mocking us when the Goldstone saga was going on I suspect we may hold a grudge too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bunch of wankstains-still think they were the real champions. Maths not taught near the appropriately named Crooked Spire.

I don't ever recall us calling for them to be kicked out of the league-legitimate points deduction yes but no more than that.
It was Barry Hearn and Orient who did that, and they were spot on. A rare moment of unity between Albion fans and fans of the two bob East London club at the time as I recall.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

We had no compassion for them and just rubbed it in their faces with all the brown envelopes. I understand why that happend, they were our title rivals that season and there was a bit of ill feeling between us before any of the contractual stuff came out. Quite similar to our short rivalries with Reading when we were battling for the title, and Saints this season.

We probably should have taken a step back and thought about the fans. You don't see us laying into Plymouth over their admin and it does seem quite easy to pick and choose which club in crisis to support and which to show no support to. If we'd had fans mocking us when the Goldstone saga was going on I suspect we may hold a grudge too.
Bollocks. Cullip's bullet header won it fair and square, but when the final whistle went all you could hear from the inbreds was "we're the real champions". f*** 'em. I hope they go bust. Shit little club.

No no no - they were supportive of dodgy chairmen, had no shame about any of it, and repeatedly claimed they deserved to be champs. WTF they were thinking is anyone's guess, but they make MKDons look positively sound, an historic club of long standing.

Wankers, hope they go downhill all the way.

Thry deserve zero passion from us, of all clubs. We were struggling yet they tried to rob os of our right to compete and win fairly! FILTH - and if any cheats are reading this; please leave the league and never come back.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Weird innit!?!

Don't recall anyone wanting them kicked out the league to be honest.

Although I may be wrong on as I've had a drink since then!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Bollocks. Cullip's bullet header won it fair and square, but when the final whistle went all you could hear from the inbreds was "we're the real champions". f*** 'em. I hope they go bust. Shit little club.

Yeah, I also recall a number of their fans being quite bolshy when everything started to come out and were denying any wrong doing etc which certainly didn't help them get support from other clubs. As I said, we didn't get on with them back then, think it stemmed from the season before when Oatway was sent of at Saltergate? It was certainly a two way thing. Despite all of that though, it wasnt their fans fault, and if it was roles reversed you can bet we'd sing the same thing. The club was in the wrong and rightly punished and we weren't really inclined to be nice about it. On reflection though, I think we got caught up in the whole, they're wankers f*** em attitude, which doesn't make us bad fans as its situation based, but we could have handled it differently. Meh, just my thoughts anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, I also recall a number of their fans being quite bolshy when everything started to come out and were denying any wrong doing etc which certainly didn't help them get support from other clubs. As I said, we didn't get on with them back then, think it stemmed from the season before when Oatway was sent of at Saltergate? It was certainly a two way thing. Despite all of that though, it wasnt their fans fault, and if it was roles reversed you can bet we'd sing the same thing. The club was in the wrong and rightly punished and we weren't really inclined to be nice about it. On reflection though, I think we got caught up in the whole, they're wankers f*** em attitude, which doesn't make us bad fans as its situation based, but we could have handled it differently. Meh, just my thoughts anyway.
You can stroke your chin intellectually while reflecting on it if it makes you feel any better, but personally I'm quite happy detesting the tin pot turds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here