Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the truth about Sam Baldock? 2=0 down and not looking like even having a shot yet alone score a goal and what does CH do he brings on Murray fair enough but leaves Sam Baldock on the bench and brings on Knockhaert. It was obvious that we needed to go for a couple of goals but no that is not CH way lets accept defeat and keep the score down.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
See my above post. If we repeat our results in the 2nd half of the season we will stay up. We’re obviously doing something right.

Did I question whether we’d stay up?

Did I even say we weren’t doing something right?

The answer to both is “No”. Wanna know why?

Because this is a point about our strategy against the Top 6, not against the whole league.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
True but considering we’ve conceded 8 goals (I believe) from corners this season thus far, you’d think that maybe we’d be a bit more switched on for the second goal.

Thought both goals were poor from our point of view. Dunk switched off and March let alonso go and just watched him run into a scoring position. Other than that Chelsea were extremely wasteful. 2-0 flattered Brighton

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
According to the BBC stats, we've now had as many shots as we had at Old Trafford! Just doesn't feel like it...

Man Utd were dire that day and we had a couple of chances. (Can’t remember them really) Let’s not make that match something it wasn’t. If we’d worried Jose he would never have been so magnanimous towards us.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Did you seriously think there was a possibility of 3 points today?

Nope. I didn’t. But I’d rather like to see us playing football. It’s a personal preference. If you’re so resigned to not winning, then would you prefer to watch your side losing by playing awfully and sitting behind the ball all game, or lose by trying to play football? For me it’s the latter.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My argument personally is that we currently stand to get, at most, 2 or 3 points against the Top 6. Which puts an incredible pressure on the other games. The way we’re setting up is incredibly negative in these games and it’s not proving to be a successful strategy.

This isn’t a Hughton out point. That’s ludicrous and I’ve said on numerous other threads that I support him 100%. But I don’t like his strategy against the Top 6 sides. It doesn’t work, it doesn’t get you points, it’s awful to watch and I’d imagine it doesn’t help the playera’ confidence one iota. I personally would prefer to get smashed 5-1 by Liverpool but have a go and potentially win one of these games, than sit behind the ball all game against them, intimidated, and at best get a lucky point because they don’t take one of their 20 chances.

I have a right to that opinion. I’m sorry if it makes little sense to you.

And strangely, all the pant wetters seemed quite satisfied at half time... nothing spoken about negative tactics.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
My argument personally is that we currently stand to get, at most, 2 or 3 points against the Top 6. Which puts an incredible pressure on the other games. The way we’re setting up is incredibly negative in these games and it’s not proving to be a successful strategy.

This isn’t a Hughton out point. That’s ludicrous and I’ve said on numerous other threads that I support him 100%. But I don’t like his strategy against the Top 6 sides. It doesn’t work, it doesn’t get you points, it’s awful to watch and I’d imagine it doesn’t help the playera’ confidence one iota. I personally would prefer to get smashed 5-1 by Liverpool but have a go and potentially win one of these games, than sit behind the ball all game against them, intimidated, and at best get a lucky point because they don’t take one of their 20 chances.

I have a right to that opinion. I’m sorry if it makes little sense to you.

We didn't sit back all game against Liverpool - we created loads and with better finishing could have got back into the game before two late liverpool goals.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
And strangely, all the pant wetters seemed quite satisfied at half time... nothing spoken about negative tactics.

I was eating Boxing Day lunch at half time, so I was very satisfied.

I honestly don’t care if we lose to the big teams. I’d just like us to try and play football.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We have also to look at the number of goals that we concede from headers and that is supposed to be our CBs strong points.

Concentration levels need to be met for 90 mins not 45. Dunk completely in no mans land. Poor from him, but he's been great so not going to go overboard giving him a hard tine

rool

Jul 10, 2003
We could repeat the entire 1st half of the season. Lose al 12 games against the top 6 and we would stay up. I’m fact we’ve already improved on one result from the first half (Watford).

I'm in agreement with this train of thought. We are competitive against teams positioned 7 to 20 as we have only lost against 3 of them at the halfway stage of the season.
It is disappointing that we don't go for it against the top six but, as said above, repeat the pattern in the second half of the season we stay up.
That surely is the only target this season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is the truth about Sam Baldock? 2=0 down and not looking like even having a shot yet alone score a goal and what does CH do he brings on Murray fair enough but leaves Sam Baldock on the bench and brings on Knockhaert. It was obvious that we needed to go for a couple of goals but no that is not CH way lets accept defeat and keep the score down.

I think the truth is, mind your own business.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We didn't sit back all game against Liverpool - we created loads and with better finishing could have got back into the game before two late liverpool goals.

You’re making my point... I’d prefer to have a go (like we did against Liverpool) and lose 5-1 than sit back and lose 2-0 without getting out of our third. But thanks for making my point.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Funnily enough, I seem to remember us possibly attacking and certainly creating far more chances against Liverpool than any other top 6 club ???

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They know the game doesnt finish at half time.

No, you don't get the point. No-one was vilifying our performance at half time, feel free to look back on this thread, as soon as we concede there is a different breed starts posting on here.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Once again didn't disgrace ourselves, should've brought AK and GM on 70 mins

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here