Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We both have not played a statistically significant number of of top 6 games to even think about a comparison! It is madness to try to compare yet.

We’ve both played half of our games against them. 50% of the games is a perfectly respectable statistic to base any analysis on.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Frustrating. I called the result but that doesn't deflect the fact I thought we could have done a little bit more against a side who thought just turning up they would walk it against little old us.
Never mind, let's set the north east alight at the weekend.

Very much this. Two very defendable goals let us down and our heads dropped. Disappointing, if not expected, result. CH needs to tighten up the defending against set pieces and corners. If we go to Newcastle and set up more positively I think we can get something. UTA.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
No time for bed wetting.. a reasonable scoreline which reflects difference in quality. The next two games must not be lost with a minimum of a draw and a win required.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
So short sighted it’s unreal.

If we had lost 0-2 instead of 0-3 to Boro in 15/16 we would’ve been promoted.

This league is tight at the bottom and it could come down to GD, Chris thankfully learned his lesson but it seems some of our fans still don’t get it.

I hate it when people make these ridiculous kinds of statements. We lost 3-0 months before the end of the season. Had we lost 2-0, it would have led to a different chain of events leading towards the end of the season, a chain which we will never know. A 3-0 win/loss affects the mindset of the respective teams, players, fans, etc as well as many other differences, which leads to different outcomes for both teams in all subsequent games for the rest of the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

If we gain just ONE extra point by being a BIT more attacking in these kind of games, the whole goal difference argument becomes redundant. I don't think it's good for player or fan morale to go into these games expecting to lose before we've even started - with the aim to simply keep the number of goals conceded to a minimum. These kind of games are now just a borefest - at the end of the day I watch football to be entertained.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
2 wins vs Newcastle and Bournemouth could see quite a gap develop between us and 18th place.

It's frustrating to have played 6 lost 6 against the top sides, but time to now focus on the bigger picture and win at Newcastle.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Having Centre forwards who look like they are running through quicksand when going at full pace means we will never offer a threat going forward against the top teams. Get the pacey young striker with an eye for goal and this will change...maybe

We have a pacey striker though. We just never play him...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Having Centre forwards who look like they are running through quicksand when going at full pace means we will never offer a threat going forward against the top teams. Get the pacey young striker with an eye for goal and this will change...maybe

From the way we often set up, a pacey striker really is what we need. Playing players like Izquiredo and March on the wings would enable us to play lovely counter attacking football, but until we have that, not going to get the goals we need.

Only thing I was a bit dubious about was starting Hemed away, I would have shoved Baldock on to start with and bring on Hemed around 65 mins. Hey ho, we only lost 2-0. We weren't embarassed and at times played some decent football in the first half. January window opens in a few days. I'm still confident there's 3 worse teams than us.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Very much this. Two very defendable goals let us down and our heads dropped. Disappointing, if not expected, result. CH needs to tighten up the defending against set pieces and corners. If we go to Newcastle and set up more positively I think we can get something. UTA.

It's very difficult to not make any mistakes when defending for 85minutes in any game.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Everything going the way I saw it panning out so far before the Watford game. Seven points from the four games over festive period. Expected nothing from today.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
We could repeat the entire 1st half of the season. Lose al 12 games against the top 6 and we would stay up. I’m fact we’ve already improved on one result from the first half (Watford).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
But we're not Huddersfield, we're Brighton, what part of that do you not understand? There is another promoted team that are below us, should we be like them too? What is your argument, I'm losing any sense of any sense.

My argument personally is that we currently stand to get, at most, 2 or 3 points against the Top 6. Which puts an incredible pressure on the other games. The way we’re setting up is incredibly negative in these games and it’s not proving to be a successful strategy.

This isn’t a Hughton out point. That’s ludicrous and I’ve said on numerous other threads that I support him 100%. But I don’t like his strategy against the Top 6 sides. It doesn’t work, it doesn’t get you points, it’s awful to watch and I’d imagine it doesn’t help the playera’ confidence one iota. I personally would prefer to get smashed 5-1 by Liverpool but have a go and potentially win one of these games, than sit behind the ball all game against them, intimidated, and at best get a lucky point because they don’t take one of their 20 chances.

I have a right to that opinion. I’m sorry if it makes little sense to you.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It's very difficult to not make any mistakes when defending for 85minutes in any game.

True but considering we’ve conceded 8 goals (I believe) from corners this season thus far, you’d think that maybe we’d be a bit more switched on for the second goal.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We didn’t play bad, it’s a shame we can’t pick up a point against a top 6 side, but hopefully we’ll do the business in our next two games.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
My argument personally is that we currently stand to get, at most, 2 or 3 points against the Top 6. Which puts an incredible pressure on the other games. The way we’re setting up is incredibly negative in these games and it’s not proving to be a successful strategy.

This isn’t a Hughton out point. That’s ludicrous and I’ve said on numerous other threads that I support him 100%. But I don’t like his strategy against the Top 6 sides. It doesn’t work, it doesn’t get you points, it’s awful to watch and I’d imagine it doesn’t help the playera’ confidence one iota. I personally would prefer to get smashed 5-1 by Liverpool but have a go and potentially win one of these games, than sit behind the ball all game against them, intimidated, and at best get a lucky point because they don’t take one of their 20 chances.

I have a right to that opinion. I’m sorry if it makes little sense to you.

See my above post. If we repeat our results in the 2nd half of the season we will stay up. We’re obviously doing something right.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Er...it absolutely is not. The error bars will still overlap. Maybe somthing like 100 games and you can make a statement.

You can’t do it for more than a season because too many other variables come into play. It’s a simple case of our strategy against the To 6 versus ours. We’re 50% of the way there and their strategy, at the moment; is more successful than ours. The data won’t be fully realised until the end of the season, but we’ve got an idea already about which is likely to be more successful.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We both have not played a statistically significant number of of top 6 games to even think about a comparison! It is madness to try to compare yet.

Half a season's worth of matches is enough to establish a noticeable trend; certain enough to compare like for like with another club's half season of results against the same teams..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here