Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calais

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
How 'less beneficial' does it have to be before it's on net a better idea to just stay in Syria, or Eritrea, or wherever?

According to EU figures, 220,000 irregular migrants reached Italy and Greece last year, and the numbers have surpassed that this year. Of the total, around 40% were Syrians and Eritreans fleeing war and oppression with very good chances of lodging successful asylum claims in the EU.

Britain is not set to take any of the 40,000 as it is exempted from EU asylum policy unless it wants to take part.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
The US are keeping very quiet on this subject , a lot of them i guess are in Calais because the US keep bombing the shit out of their countries , whether for good reasons or not . Perhaps they should contribute some money towards the costs of the Calais problem .

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Probably less beneficial so they don't have to spend up to 18 months and across many borders to reach a safe haven.

For that you'd need General-Reginald-Dyer-levels of 'less beneficial'...

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Went through tunnel last Saturday was delayed 3 hours ! Came back through this morning, no delays at all, feel sorry for the lorry drivers, still stacked up for miles on the M20 heading towards the tunnel

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Most of these Calais chancers in last season's AC Milan tops ceased to be fleeing persecution about a thousand miles ago. Now they're just just risking life and limb for the best benefits. Taking the piss a bit, non?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Well i was confused.

So your suggestion is that I cannot see the scope of this global problem from the tiny part of the planet that I live on yet you can from yours. The difference between us is that i accept that I cannot see the whole problem so choose to find information from people who spend their time and efforts looking at it as a whole and reporting what they find rather than relying on a view taken from one tiny part.

What is going on in the South East of England may be exactly what is going on in many other countries but it is also a drop in the ocean compared to what is going on in many others.

What typical pompous rubbish! The difference is that we witness the sheer scale of the problem far more than you do - you are not telling me that Geelong has thousands of immigrants wanting to come in. You choose to find information that suits your view and as so often, anything that conflicts with that is dismissed as right-wing propaganda.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The EU should come up with a plan where the country that process the claim gets to send the claimant to any country in the EU and that receiving country has to take them.

Doesn't this just show your naïve view? So Italy chooses any country and just like that, they have to take them. The Italians then get rid of the lot and the population of the receiving country has no say whatsoever. What a recipe for disaster.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Geelong has a lot of immigrants.

1.5% is way too low. 21% of the Geelong population wasn't born in Australia.

Thanks. I did notice that you were also from Geelong some time ago. But I don't think that you are of the lecturing type? I was fascinated by our stat - I suppose that it boils down to when one ceases to be an immigrant and becomes a citizen.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The US are keeping very quiet on this subject , a lot of them i guess are in Calais because the US keep bombing the shit out of their countries , whether for good reasons or not . Perhaps they should contribute some money towards the costs of the Calais problem .

Sudan. Somalia. Libya. Eritrea. Sub Saharan Africa. Goodness me, the US bombing has become rather inaccurate

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

The U.S. Have a far bigger problem that 3000 migrants trying to get here...they have hundreds of thousands of Mexicans and other South Americans trying to get to the southern states.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here