Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Wheel

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Great prospect for Wheel ticking. Maybe it should have its own magazine. Wheeltastic. Got to admit its a change from Weatherspoon ticking!!! :D

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Is this the same thing that turns up in Nottingham, Derby and every other city up and down the country?

They had one in York as well

Maybe they are just recycling them around the country. Re-inventing the wheel, as it were.

More than likely.

It was previously located in Paris in 2008, Copenhagen in 2009 and Cape Town in 2010. Here So this is it's UK debut!

Great prospect for Wheel ticking. Maybe it should have its own magazine. Wheeltastic. Got to admit its a change from Weatherspoon ticking!!! :D

Am I being blonde or wtf is Wheel/Weatherspoon ticking?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
copenhagen-wheel-axeltorv.jpg

Copenhagen
6a00d8341c8d9f53ef010536964602970b-800wi

Paris
r60capetown.jpg

Cape Town
big_552_brighton-wheel-verified-view-01-big.jpg

Brighton

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Cant believe you are all falling for the "Brighton Wheel" story it is obviously some kind of radar system to detect the UFO's that are flying over on the way to the secret base at Southwick Tunnel.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Is this the same thing that turns up in Nottingham, Derby and every other city up and down the country?

Indded it is. And the one they put up a few years ago in Manchester welcomed everyone to ................................................ Paris!

Surely it is just a huge fan which is needed to blow the foul stench of Selhust away from the clean air of Sussex.

and here is the one they put up in Manchester. Hmmmmm, looks familiar.......................
thumbnail.aspx

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Is this thing permanent?

Those shorter "spokes" in the middle immediate;y made me think of the Sputnik illumination that must have been quite near there back in the earl 70's. Anyone else see this or is it just me?

brighton.jpg

seafront_sputnick.jpg

PS These were known as rotospheres and there's a whole history of them here http://www.agilitynut.com/sca/roto.html

Loved the old light bulb show, bring it back I say

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Blimey I remember tyem. The ball used to go round and the spikes were illuminated as they rotated.

Very flash for 1971 I can tell you

This is how I remember them
seafront_sputnick1.jpg

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Im going to wait until its really windy & take the wife and kids on

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The Van Allen is hardly a lovely building. Take the glass out and it looks like a multi-storey.
Did not the IRA have a go at that a while back?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Hmmmm. The London Eye gives you a great view all over London. The Brighton Wheel gives you a great view of a load of houses, a bit of countryside, a few landmarks (Pavilion! Amex!) and a lot of water.

Exactly, thought that when i drove past last saturday - I certainley won't be wasting my hard earned cash on that. Also what happened to the Brighton Dougnut thing they were going to build.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here