Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton player refuses to sign autographs for children

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As one or two others have already alluded, we know absolutely nothing of the circumstances behins this.

Although I do have to say, that being inconvenienced occasionally, and frequently being bothered for autographs, is part of the territory of being a highly paid professional footballer.

SAC

May 21, 2014
As one or two others have already alluded, we know absolutely nothing of the circumstances behind this.

Although I do have to say, that being inconvenienced occasionally, and frequently being bothered for autographs, is part of the territory of being a highly paid professional footballer.

When has that ever stopped a NSC binfest?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Autographs are a strange one. They date back to the time, when they used to belong in books, that were treasured. I bet there are some little darlings who have had about 20 scraps of paper with the same players name on, some of them may even have made it as far as the recycling bin.

Last season, when we had the East Stand end of season Discotheque, a couple of players came over on a reccy, to see if they would be able to mingle with the fans. If there had not been a scrum of dickheads, with their smartphone cameras that wouldn't let Calde come down the steps, I reckon most of the squad would have followed over and hung out with the kids. Sadly this is all part of the idiot celebrity culture and just because someone earns good money as a footballer, it doesn't make them public property.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Should sign...part of his job I am afraid.
No, it really isn't. His job is to play football, how he conducts himself is his own business. So long as he isn't doing anything to bring shame on the club then who cares. The people hounding players for autographs in their day to day lives need to have a serious word with themselves about getting something other than hero worship in their life.

When I was at primary school, I had a classmate whose dad played cricket for England. He also played football for Newport County and Aston Villa.

I don't think it ever occurred to me to ask for his autograph, although I did appreciate being taught how to spin bowl by him.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
What a shit stir thread! We are top of the league and you are making posts like this on a Sunday about one of our players? Do you not have anything else to do?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a shit stir thread! We are top of the league and you are making posts like this on a Sunday about one of our players? Do you not have anything else to do?

It's a valid post IMHO. Not a "shit stir" thread at all.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
No, it really isn't. His job is to play football, how he conducts himself is his own business. So long as he isn't doing anything to bring shame on the club then who cares. The people hounding players for autographs in their day to day lives need to have a serious word with themselves about getting something other than hero worship in their life.
You think his only job is to play football?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My initial reaction was that it's probably got to the point where they should all have a signature by now, and someone is instead getting more signatures so they can sell them (signed items, photos etc, rather than just signatures on scraps of paper). A lot of celebrities (and I know it sounds silly referring to tier two footballers as celebrities) put limits on autographs for that reason.

For some it's about safety concerns - may sound silly, but 10-15 teenagers jostling you around isn't the nicest thing to experience, and in such circumstances there's the risk of them or you falling, tripping, minor injuries. For all we know, some kid may have got hurt in a scramble and be trying to get something out of the player for it.

Are we also sure that the player has made the request, and not the school making the request because kids are missing the start of school while hanging around trying to get signatures?

"Children" is a little vague. It's one thing to think of 5 and 6 year olds being denied autographs from the mean footballer, but it can also be about 16 and 17 year olds who maybe aren't as star stuck, and aren't as polite and respectful as you'd expect them to be.

It is nice and idealistic to think footballers/celebrities should always stop for autographs for fans, especially younger ones, but the reality is not quite so simple.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It's a valid post IMHO. Not a "shit stir" thread at all.

In what way is it valid? A player doesn't want to be hassled every time he picks up his kid from school by kid/parents for autographs and shouldn't feel he has to commit to it every time whilst concentrating on time with his kids/football/time off?

I think it's always a nice gesture for players to sign stuff for kids but it's not like he is compelled to do so... I can imagine in this case there were other contributing factors that have not been mentioned.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
More detail needed to really pass judgement.

Bruno's son goes to the same school as '_and_son' and I have never once seen him asked for, never mind hounded, for autographs. But then he conducts himself very professionally at all times. He is quiet and unassuming, there to drop off/pick up his son or whatever, but always happy to shake hands or chat with another parent. The school approached him recently and asked him to take a games lesson for the 1st and 2nd XI teams. He did and was brilliant with the kids. He has been at school in an "official capacity" a couple of times now, bringing Calde with him as well at least once. Had he said no then, personally, I think it would have been fine for the school to pass on his wishes to be treated as 'just another parent'.

Clearly these are guys who don't mind the "downside" of being famous (locally at least) but I can understand if others feel unhappy about it. The club do numerous charity events and the kids parties and what have you, and on these occasions the players SHOULD be made to attend, be gracious and sign, have photos taken and otherwise be ambassadors for the club and the sport (and I suspect those who are parents themselves might be better at it than others). Outside of these events, their life should be there own and respected as such.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here