Brighton in TROUBLE according to our friends up the road

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
I heard he played well against Wigan, has he had a few good games? You put money on him being sent off, I'll put money on him scoring.

He ran Wigan into the ground, leading the line on his own - hit the bar with a brilliantly executed volley from a tough angle, then hit the post with a great header - amongst numerous bits of excellent link-up play with our midfielders.

Against Blackpool he had a 25 minute cameo, took his goal really well and could have scored a couple more (and probably should). I just get the feeling that when he really gets a run of games and gets a couple of goals, he'll be banging them in - 15 at least for us, I'd like to think.

As for him scoring, of course it'll happen, then he'll remove his shirt in celebration which will constitute his second booking.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
No dramas.

On the flipside, from our point of view, the Owen Garvan you tried to sign back in the summer - a player I'd have driven to your training ground and forced him to sign the contract a few weeks ago, is looking very, very good for us this season. Funny how things work out.

Indeed, shows what a good judge of player Poyet is and how bad Freedman was to offload so cheaply!

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
Indeed, shows what a good judge of player Poyet is and how bad Freedman was to offload so cheaply!

I'm lead to believe it was agent-led as opposed to young Dougie forcing him out, as it were. Dougie's beginning to prove how shrewd he is in the transfer market - he's bought really well so far on first impressions.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm lead to believe it was agent-led as opposed to young Dougie forcing him out, as it were. Dougie's beginning to prove how shrewd he is in the transfer market - he's bought really well so far on first impressions.

If it was agent lead then there wouldn't have been a u-turn with Garvan not wanting to go would there? I guessed it was down to Garvan not getting assurances from Freedman about playing regular first team football, not being overly impressed with what Brighton had to offer and then deciding to fight for his place at Palace.

Murray is a great signing on a free that's a given, can't judge your other signings as I've not really seen them. Although the failure to not get a decent centre half in on a permanent deal might prove costly

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
If it was agent lead then there wouldn't have been a u-turn with Garvan not wanting to go would there? I guessed it was down to Garvan not getting assurances from Freedman about playing regular first team football, not being overly impressed with what Brighton had to offer and then deciding to fight for his place at Palace.

Murray is a great signing on a free that's a given, can't judge your other signings as I've not really seen them. Although the failure to not get a decent centre half in on a permanent deal might prove costly

We've signed Gardner on a perm deal, he's currently not being considered as he didn't have a pre-season. Bridcutt was released by Burley not Freedman. Seems like a bad move by him but it doesn't suprise me, he was the main reason we were shit last season.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I'll gladly hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, but what I was posting was acting on knowledge I had at the time before the season started.

From the Albion fans I've spoken to, they've exceeded expectations. Well done, gold stars for them. Not sure what else I can say.

To be fair, there really isn't much else you could say, Bridcutt is outstanding in front of a very solid defence. I think some of us have been surprised at just how well we have done. Dunk is a total surprise and already looks the real deal. We have an embarrassment of riches in midfield, and some top class strikers. The only position I am worried about is goalkeeper. If Casper is injured, I am not sure that Brezovan is the answer. I haven't seen enough of Poke to comment on him though.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We've signed Gardner on a perm deal, he's currently not being considered as he didn't have a pre-season. Bridcutt was released by Burley not Freedman. Seems like a bad move by him but it doesn't suprise me, he was the main reason we were shit last season.

Hallelujah! Many of your brethren seem to be struggling with this. Bridcutt isn't "not good enough" for Palace, Burley and co simply made a disastrous judgement call. Same as us with Ian Wright many many years ago.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Didn't realise you had Gardner, that will help.

Bridcutt would probably be the first name on our team sheet for me, will be worth an absolute fortune if he finishes the season as he has started (continued on from last season)

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011

You could be right, Garvan choosing to stay at Palace to 'fight for his place' certainly suggests that Brighton's offer might not have been the best. In truth, we'll never know, we've still got him, he's doing rather well and I'm happy. Would he get into your side at present? No. Horses for courses.

Point '5 Zero' made about Bridcutt is entirely correct, I wasn't overly convinced by him (then, he was up against Michael Essien when I saw him play) but Burley made a right cock-up there - we had nothing in defensive mid for a lot of last season, we haemmoraged goals as a result and it cost us points. Ho hum.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You could be right, Garvan choosing to stay at Palace to 'fight for his place' certainly suggests that Brighton's offer might not have been the best. In truth, we'll never know, we've still got him, he's doing rather well and I'm happy. Would he get into your side at present? No. Horses for courses.

I've heard a different story (and from a Palace fan actually). He seemed to think that Garvan could have been one of those named on Monday night by dispatches. When Poyet found out he pulled the plug.

I've no idea if there is any truth in that or not.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
I've heard a different story (and from a Palace fan actually). He seemed to think that Garvan could have been one of those named on Monday night by dispatches. When Poyet found out he pulled the plug.

I've no idea if there is any truth in that or not.

I don't believe that at all. And Dispatches didn't mention him did they.

The way Poyet spoke to the press after the Garvan deal fell through indicates he believed the deal was all set to go but it was Garvan who pulled the plug at the last min and Poyet was very disappointed about the unproffessional way it was handled.

Garvan U-turn stuns Albion From The Argus)

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Try as you might, I can assure you our future has never been brighter! Sensible owners, competitive budget, new stadium on the horizon, amazing academy, club legend in charge, fans united. And a squad that will play BHAFC off the park!

P.s pikies? That's Gillingham oldbean!

Amazing academy? It's not even in the top 20 of English football. You produce 1 or 2 decent players every decade if you lucky. That's not even close to amazing.

As for the retard who made this thread, what do you do, fart pinch ur nose and hold ur breathe, then type the shit that hits ur brain.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I don't believe that at all. And Dispatches didn't mention him did they.

The way Poyet spoke to the press after the Garvan deal fell through indicates he believed the deal was all set to go but it was Garvan who pulled the plug at the last min and Poyet was very disappointed about the unproffessional way it was handled.

Garvan U-turn stuns Albion From The Argus)

Yep, Poyet sounded very disappointed the deal didn't go through as it sounds like Garvan was very keen to come here to start with

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Amazing academy? It's not even in the top 20 of English football. You produce 1 or 2 decent players every decade if you lucky. That's not even close to amazing.

As for the retard who made this thread, what do you do, fart pinch ur nose and hold ur breathe, then type the shit that hits ur brain.

Not even in the top 20? Who else could you name that has better? Arsenal, Man U, West Ham, Saints, Liverpool, Ipswich. Not many more.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011

It's better than a lot, put it that way.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
It's probably saved your club on more than one occasion too...

Absolutely. I still wonder what we'd have got for Victor Moses had we not been in administration. He was the sacrificial lamb, as it were, everyone was gutted he didn't make a cameo off the bench for Wigan against us on Tuesday - felt a bit robbed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

That's a bit off the mark, I dislike Palace as much as the next man, but they've produced more than their fair share of decent young players in recent years. Alright, most have never quite hit the heights they were predicted to do (John Bostock, Victor Moses), but they're doing OK. Moses is a fringe player in a slightly-below-average Premier League team, which isn't the case for any of our youth team products that I can think of. They usually seem to have a fair few youth team products around their first team too.

I suppose you could say the same for Elphick, El Abd and Dunk, not to mention the likes of Hammond and Harding, but I've never seen our youth team as a conveyor belt for the first team. Yet.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Is it sad that I am very much enjoying a reasonable and fair exchange on each teams merits and drawbacks by both sets of fans?

Surely this is poor form and someone needs to start calling someone else a deluded mong quick, and we can take it from there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports