Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton in TROUBLE according to our friends up the road

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Dont know about the rest of you but I feel that the rivalry in the 70s actually got both clubs to div 1, both wanting to outdo the other which pushed them both to the top (of course we did stay there a little longer than they did on that occasion ;) ).

I for one would not care if they finished 1 place above us as long as they didnt finish 21st as long as we progress as a team and move upwards and onwards.

Would you really see it was a bad season if at the end of the season the table read

1 Crystal Palace
2 Brighton

?

I would take that if it was offered. After all we all could do the Southampton thing and claim our results in the league over them makes us the true champions :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would you really see it was a bad season if at the end of the season the table read

1 Crystal Palace
2 Brighton

I would take that if it was offered. After all we all could do the Southampton thing and claim our results in the league over them makes us the true champions :)
That would be an amazing season, and I wouldn't try and claim we were true champions, I would take my hat off to Palace. Generally though, no, I wouldn't be happy with finishing below Palace.

SCC finished 2nd, we are the champions of league 1, and it wasn't close. Any SCC fan claiming otherwise is just being silly (bless)

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
out of interest when was the last time you saw El-Abd ? a couple of years ago you may have had a point (indeed before the Poyet arrival I much prefered him playing further up the pitch then the last line of defence) and the Greer point is fair enough - but such can be aimed at practically any defender of any club ever (and Keepers too)

and Dicker/Bridcutt aren't certain starters , I'm guessing the midfield will very much depend on who we are playing I guess , they could do OR they can give us the extra players to keep it tight and snatch it on the break (which in this league we'll DEFINITELY need to do).

With respect, I'm only going on what I've seen of El-Abd when he was last in this division - he was absolutely bloody woeful! If he's improved and Poyet sees him as a player who reads the game better than many, then fine, he's the one who should know that, not a Palace fan with a passing interest. Take your point about Greer, but is he not a player who'll lose his head when things aren't going right (I could be wrong).

Someone mentioned Matt Sparrow - I concede I'd forgotten about him - he's a decent player and won't look out of place at Championship level. Interesting to read comments about Bridcutt - I've seen a fair bit of him (we had him on trial last season) and he's an incredibly neat and tidy player, the only worry I'd have would be his physical size. Players shouldn't be judged on their size, I know, but in English football (conversely to Spanish, for example), so much emphasis is put on the physical side of the game and with the Championship it's rare you have a diminutive central midfielder able to run a game for this reason. But again, time will tell.

Again, I enjoy having a sensible debate and discussion with you lot and hope it can continue in this way. We're not all knuckledragging pikeys :)

Oct 25, 2003
el-abd is practically a different player now to the one we had before poyet took over........the transformation has been almost beyond belief, and is truly a testiment to the qualities of poyet, who not long after taking over singled el-abd out as our most talented defender- personally i thought he was taking the piss- but he was soon proven right

he used to be a complete shambles, but now he's solid as a mother-f***ing rock

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
El-abd has improved so much it is unreal. However the championship is a different kettle of fish. I hope he can continue to improve and prove he can cut it at Championship level, i really hope and think he will, he has worked really hard to come this far. (and he is well 'ard)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Interesting to read comments about Bridcutt - I've seen a fair bit of him (we had him on trial last season) and he's an incredibly neat and tidy player, the only worry I'd have would be his physical size. Players shouldn't be judged on their size, I know, but in English football (conversely to Spanish, for example), so much emphasis is put on the physical side of the game and with the Championship it's rare you have a diminutive central midfielder able to run a game for this reason. But again, time will tell.
In theory you'd be right, he isn't the biggest lad, but he isn't one to shy out of a tackle and for a guy who can only be 5'9/5'10 he's got a surprisingly good leap on him. True he won't outjump a monster 6'4 guy but he wins a lot more in the air than you might think. I think at the moment most Albion fans would agree from a midfield perspective he is name no1 on the teamsheet, ahead of Dicker & Sparrow as things stand. I wait to see who else Poyet brings in through the middle though.

Again, I enjoy having a sensible debate and discussion with you lot and hope it can continue in this way. We're not all knuckledragging pikeys :)
I'm afraid a sample size of one is inconclusive on this. The current crop on NSC would suggest otherwise, and that you're the only exception.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apart from the fact it is (in relation) the size of a wendy house.

umm...no. In relation, it's the size of a multi-award winning football stadium. A 23,000 capacity one with potential capacity of up to 30,000. That's why it's called a stadium and not the Amex Community Wendy House. It would only be the size of a wendy house if the other stadia were slightly bigger wendy houses. That's what relative means.

Here, let me give you an example let's say that a football club owed approximately £30 million to creditors but only paid about £580,000. That would mean, relatively speaking, that they paid only about 1.9p in the pound.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
the stupid.... it burns..... :eek:

Can't believe some Palace fans have actually managed to convince themselves of the tripe they're spouting.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Jealousy is an ugly trait. But at least there is the odd Palarse fan who has a brain. Trigger finger sounds like a good guy. The sort of opposition fan I could have a beer and a chat with. All clubs have delusional fans, but SE 25 seems to have more than their fair share. We are on the up, and posters like Little Al are bound to take the piss. Until they come and see a brilliant state of the art stadium and a great footballing side, they are bound to go on. I am positive our football will do the talking come August 6th.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I've seen and know enough of the likes of Greer, El-Abd, Dicker and Bridcutt (amongst others) to have a reasonable idea of how they might fare in the Championship. I think they're your weakest areas and you are more than likely to lose games as a result of this. I like Calderon though, classy player.

If you read my previous posts, I've put your weakness to be at centre back as opposed to full back. Painter and especially Calderon are good.

Adam El-Abd I see to be a cumbersome, clumsy player who whilst strong in the tackle lacks real anticipation and an ability to read the game. Greer is a good leader but prone to the odd moment of madness.

Strong in defence in League 1 does not automatically entitle you to the same status in the Championship. Centre backs are also only as good as the centre midfielders in front of them who'll do their screening and picking up of loose balls - in Dicker and Bridcutt I think you fall short. For all of their ability on the ball, I think their defensive game lets them down which will leave your defence exposed and over-run.

You'll be disappointed with those posts

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
You'll be disappointed with those posts

I'll gladly hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, but what I was posting was acting on knowledge I had at the time before the season started.

From the Albion fans I've spoken to, they've exceeded expectations. Well done, gold stars for them. Not sure what else I can say.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'll gladly hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, but what I was posting was acting on knowledge I had at the time before the season started.

From the Albion fans I've spoken to, they've exceeded expectations. Well done, gold stars for them. Not sure what else I can say.

I didn't meant to pick on you particularly (as you're probably the best Palace poster I've seen on here), just interesting reading the pre-season perceptions again.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

My word.

Are you sure you support Palace?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
the stupid.... it burns..... :eek:

Can't believe some Palace fans have actually managed to convince themselves of the tripe they're spouting.
THIS.

The more worrying thing is so many INTELLIGENT people are listening to this and arguing with them!! - it's like arguing with hyperactive 4 year olds , their AREN'T any winners here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure what else I can say.
Well nothing now that you've held your hands up in an adult fashion. You're not supposed to do that, you're supposed to protest and say we've been lucky and you'll be proved right in a few weeks etc etc. Now you've ruined it all, how can we turn this into a binfest if you're going to behave like an adult. Sheeesh.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
Well nothing now that you've held your hands up in an adult fashion. You're not supposed to do that, you're supposed to protest and say we've been lucky and you'll be proved right in a few weeks etc etc. Now you've ruined it all, how can we turn this into a binfest if you're going to behave like an adult. Sheeesh.

Apologies, I'm sure some Palace fans will restore that facet of the ying and yang that constitutes our rivalry.

I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear that Mr Murray is looking sh*t hot at the minute. I'll still be sticking a couple of quid on him getting sent off at the Amex, though.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
I didn't meant to pick on you particularly (as you're probably the best Palace poster I've seen on here), just interesting reading the pre-season perceptions again.

No dramas.

On the flipside, from our point of view, the Owen Garvan you tried to sign back in the summer - a player I'd have driven to your training ground and forced him to sign the contract a few weeks ago, is looking very, very good for us this season. Funny how things work out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear that Mr Murray is looking sh*t hot at the minute.
I heard he played well against Wigan, has he had a few good games? You put money on him being sent off, I'll put money on him scoring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here